[TC] Best flak platform M7s?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

The X-Plorer

[TC] Best flak platform M7s?

Post by The X-Plorer » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 23:40

Im looking for a available M7 that can act as a flak ship, I have a trio of Split corvettes patrolling around a sector next to the one I own to prevent pirates from blowing up any traders trying to get in. But I feel a flak frigate will finish the patrol fleet and Im not sure which M7 to get...

Suggestions anyone? :?
Happy accidents are just another form of discovery, except they are way more fun.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 23:42

Griffon, Aegir, Cerb...
Where is it?

The X-Plorer

Post by The X-Plorer » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 23:43

Thanks for the Quick answer. Now time to buy a cerberus...
Happy accidents are just another form of discovery, except they are way more fun.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 23:46

Or Panther...

There's quite a few actually.
Where is it?

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 23:51

delray wrote:Griffon, Aegir, Cerb...
All good choices, although of those three only the Cerberus is purchasable. You'd have to finish the Final Fury plot to get the Griffon, or steal an Aegir.

You might want to consider the Deimos, if only for the fact it's heavily shielded and can mount PSGs in every weapon slot. Alone it can wreak havoc amongst fighter swarms. Doesn't play well with others though :p

Personally, I would probably use a Shrike for the role, for a few reasons. Firstly it's one of my favourite ships in the game, so it's always open for consideration. Secondly it's got 4Gj of shields and can mount up to 10 flak cannons. Third it can switch to anti-capital with a quick change of weapon loadout, making it versatile. Nothing hurts more than seeing your 30+ million credit ship go up in flames cos you hadn't anticipated a cap ship dropping in on you :roll:

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 23:54

I'd rather not put Deimos anywhere near other ships I own. Although keeping it for Khaak missions isn't a bad idea. (I always did Xenon plots in TC in Ray and Khaak plots in Oddie).

Shrike is kinda sucky for a FLAK platform since it has little energy. But I agree it's one of the top M7s.
Where is it?

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 23:56

:lol:

No, me either, but for fighter control it's a great ship. Basically a moving 2km killzone for anything with less than 600Mj of shielding, and often for much more than that!

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 00:28

Yes, in AP I kinda miss Khaak and giving them a PSG hug...

I hope for Rebirth we'll have some new kind of a menace race.
Where is it?

DnBrn47
x4

Post by DnBrn47 » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 00:42

Griffon Sentinel. Will never run out of energy and has a 9 fighter wing capacity.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm assuming you are in AP in which you can easily buy one from the OTAS shipyard.

EDIT pt.2: Sorry again, I guess the [TC] should have told me that you are in TC eh... *facepalm*

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 01:07

The Shrike is perfectly acceptable OOS because there's no calculation of energy. IS it's a little less perfect but even then it's still monster.

I wouldn't call it FAST though. Cerberus is a good flak ship, so is the Carrack somewhat surprisingly.

Tiger is another one with a lot of anti-fighter ability. Good turret spread, plus forward firepower.

I've also used an Agamemnon with EBC in all slots to defend a sector. Shreds just about anything that comes into range.

If you're IS, an Akuma with CFA and IonD is also an excellent choice. I like the Brigantine. Quick, nice coverage.

I like the Deimos as a Fighter crusher.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

DnBrn47
x4

Post by DnBrn47 » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 01:58

edit: Nvm, forgot about Khaak being in TC, damn it.

Xander Cade
x3tc

Post by Xander Cade » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 09:07

I would go for the Panther if for no other reason than that it can carry 32 fighters around on top of mounting flak almost everywhere and being the equal fastest M7. It is also one of the very few ships that can mount those two PALCs you get in the first OFF mission.
"What he doesn't understand is that the Welsh are a subject people, put on Earth to do menial tasks for the English." - John Cleese

NovusBogus
x3

Post by NovusBogus » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 09:14

My vote would be with the Panther too. It's got fighters, excellent turret coverage, and while the front guns can't shoot flak being a turret makes them a lot better for popping fighters.

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 09:23

eh, panther / tiger dont feel as though they are actually putting the flak to as good of use as the cerberus / griffon / carrack does.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

jkjklkl
x3ap

Post by jkjklkl » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 09:57

Catra wrote:eh, panther / tiger dont feel as though they are actually putting the flak to as good of use as the cerberus / griffon / carrack does.
What do you mean by that? :?

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 14:12

I know what he means. The Tiger has a very long nose so the Flak seems to be biased towards the back.

And the Panther turns weird. The point it turns around is at the engines, rather than the middle like normal. So it has trouble maneuvering to bring it's flak into play.

That said, I disagree. The Tiger provides a much longer dispersion of fire, ultimately giving it more coverage than the others. And the short length of the Panther means that fast moving fighters will race past it and run straight into it's Flak umbrella.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 19:26

quick combat run:

Tiger: 1:21 8 dead

Cerberus: :28 10 dead

thats a rather large disparity.....

something a little less concrete:

i can just feel that the tiger is taking longer whenever i play my split game, like im constantly waiting for it to finish or to actually hurry up and thin out the cloud, i just dont feel as edgy if i play my argon with the cerberus, it just rolls in then rolls out almost immediately, whereas the tiger rolls in, flounders around trying to figure out what to do and then try to execute its plan miserably, gets yelled at and then rolls out.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

The X-Plorer

Post by The X-Plorer » Sun, 1. Apr 12, 23:44

Catra wrote:quick combat run:

Tiger: 1:21 8 dead

Cerberus: :28 10 dead

thats a rather large disparity.....

something a little less concrete:

i can just feel that the tiger is taking longer whenever i play my split game, like im constantly waiting for it to finish or to actually hurry up and thin out the cloud, i just dont feel as edgy if i play my argon with the cerberus, it just rolls in then rolls out almost immediately, whereas the tiger rolls in, flounders around trying to figure out what to do and then try to execute its plan miserably, gets yelled at and then rolls out.
However you can't deny it's reliability against other capitals, especially when the main laser bay is fully armed with IBLs... With it's speed you get to strike earlier than AI controlled capital ship, if you're charging towards it that is...

Plus it's one of the more heavily shielded commonwealth M7s in TC. The shielding is somewhat strange for a split ship...

Lelouch
x3tc

Post by Lelouch » Sun, 1. Apr 12, 23:59

Player-driven:

My vote is for a fully IBL'ed Panther. FLAK in up/down/back. Yes it's not anti-fighter optimized, but it is sufficient enough for not having to worry about fighters. Just ignore them. If some are especially bothersome: Cargospace is big enough for a nice missile compliment.

Automated/IS: My favorite would be Aegir / Yokohama due to SSC.
Automated/OOS: Don't care at all. Pick any. Don't equip PSG.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”