help wanted weapons not working - resolved

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

vuashnel
x3ap

help wanted weapons not working - resolved

Post by vuashnel » Thu, 5. Apr 12, 11:43

When trying out the humble trader I get to a bit of the tutorial where it tells me to shoot a box the instructor released.

I have found through looks about the rear turret on the ship and have lined it up and pressed every button listed under the weapons section of the key bindings, but nothing.

The install is through steam (via the super box deal) and found mention of a mod for TC causing this problem but haven't installed any.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

(edited to fix title sorry))
Last edited by vuashnel on Thu, 5. Apr 12, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 5. Apr 12, 11:57

Press F1 until you find yourself actually in the relevant turret. Make sure that you have a suitable weapon actually installed and in the weapon group number (1 - 4) selected for the turret. You can then fire it with the normal fire button.

Moving to Universe forum.

PS: A bit more info in the thread title (eg game and problem/subject) is helpful.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Thu, 5. Apr 12, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Ravna

Post by Ravna » Thu, 5. Apr 12, 12:00

Why not use the Discoverer instead ?
Btw
Flight school isn't mandatory, you can safely ignore the guy an move on.

vuashnel
x3ap

Post by vuashnel » Thu, 5. Apr 12, 12:26

Allan Phipps wrote:
Press F1 until you find yourself actually in the relevant turret. Make sure that you have a suitable weapon actually installed and in the weapon group number (1 - 4) selected for the turret. You can then fire it with the normal fire button.
ah k thanks for that, and was able to switch into turret mode and change weapon groups (even assigned turret to other groups for test) but firing it did nothing still.

Ravna wrote:
Flight school isn't mandatory, you can safely ignore the guy an move on.
Just trying to get use to it.
:)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 5. Apr 12, 12:36

What game, ship and weapon are you using?

When you are sitting in the turret, select group '1'. Now go to Own Ship, Advanced, Weapons and install the weapon making sure it is also included in group 1. The weapon should now have a bright icon on the HUD bottom left. Now use the usual 'fire' button to fire the weapon while still in the turret.

Which bit(s) of that are not working?

vuashnel
x3ap

Post by vuashnel » Thu, 5. Apr 12, 13:36

I am just using the Mercury at the start and checked everything against what you mentioned, its the turret installed at the beginning and set to group 1. When I select group one (by the highlighted number in the bottom left) press the fire button, nothing happens.

highflier
x4

Post by highflier » Thu, 5. Apr 12, 13:57

that might be a stupid question, but do you even have a gun installed? its rather wise to use the second ship, you got with that start.

vuashnel
x3ap

Post by vuashnel » Thu, 5. Apr 12, 14:09

Under the weapons its listed as laser turret back. So am hoping it is.

highflier
x4

Post by highflier » Thu, 5. Apr 12, 14:19

yes, but do YOU have a laser equipped? because the mercury has a slot for lasers, but it isnt filled right from the start. its a freighter, not a dogfighter ;)

T.S.Zatoichi
x3tc

Post by T.S.Zatoichi » Thu, 5. Apr 12, 14:28

If you just started the game and haven't installed a laser in the turret, then you don't have any weapon to shoot.

Look just below where it says 'laser turret back' and see if it says --none--.

If I were you I'd jump in the Discoverer and go explore. You're going to want to find as many nearby stations as possible so they'll be recorded on the sector map. Once you get bored of that, then you can use the Mercury to start some trading and earn some cash.
"I'm shocked! Shocked to learn that there is gambling going on in here!"
"Your winnings, sir."
"Oh! Thank you very much."

vuashnel
x3ap

Post by vuashnel » Thu, 5. Apr 12, 14:47

thanks guys obviously I've been trying to fire something that doesn't exist as I started a game as one of the soldiers and had weapons *face palms*

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 5. Apr 12, 15:38

Glad that is cleared up. By the way, you never did tell us what X game you are playing!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”