[AP] M7M -- Please help need advice

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aidyer
x3tc

[AP] M7M -- Please help need advice

Post by Aidyer » Sat, 7. Apr 12, 14:06

There's a lot of them in AP, but some of them don't even fire boarding pods, and they can be slower than some M2's. I can't decide which would be the most effective at boarding, as I didn't do it much back in TC. Looking at four different ones they all vary and have great advantages and disadvantages:

Split Cobra: Fast but lightly shielded (97 m/s, 3x1GJ)
Paranid Ares: Medium speed and moderately shielded (77 m/s, 2x2GJ)
Teladi Gannet: Slow as a funeral convoy but lavishly shielded (55 m/s, 3x2GJ)
ATF Skirnir: Very Fast and Very heavily shielded (111 m/s, 4x2GJ) but only fires Ghoul Missiles, no boarding pods.

Now I know that these ships need to be fast to catch up with the target ship, but can that be worked around with a turbo booster? Then it's strongly recommended that they can fire boarding pods or the target ship will blow the marines out of the sky (Can that be avoided by spamming Fighter Drones?) and finally heavy shielding is good for getting away while the target ship attacks you, probably with PPC's and stuff.

If not firing boarding pods is not much of an issue as you can launch drones, should I get the Skirnir? I don't know how difficult it is to get Ghoul Missiles.
The other three show speed, shielding and a balance between the two. Bearing in mind my M7M will cary a Turbo Booster MK2, which one should I get?

Thanks for reading

Aidyer
x3tc

Post by Aidyer » Sat, 7. Apr 12, 14:36

Also, about the Ghoul Missiles, whenever I buy weapons from the Terrans it takes a lot longer to have them back in stock than commonwealth races (Even when stocked). Has anyone else found this and can it be problematic?

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Sat, 7. Apr 12, 14:50

Style: Cobra
Speed: Cobra
Anti-Fighter Weaponry: Cobra (Flak 4tw)
Survival: Cobra
Speed with Turbobooster: Cobra
Size: Cobra
Loadout: Cobra
Visual: Cobra

Erm, yes ... and so on.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 7. Apr 12, 14:57

theres really not much of a difference between any of the m7m in ease of boarding.

i mathed out (and do so on a regular basis, so its not matheorycraft) that a gannet(the slowest of the boarding m7m) can cap the fastest m7 before it can get into weapons range.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

highflier
x4

Post by highflier » Sat, 7. Apr 12, 15:07

and for the record... a M7M doesnt need to be fast. its supposed to sit on a gate and let their missiles spread the magic.

you only need speed, if you use them as a playership, but i figured, its wise to use a fast playership and remote controll the m7m, that way, you almost never need shields or speed. just cargo. lots of it.
and with a fast playership you can extent the range of your m7m alot by controlling it to shoot targets far beyond its scanner range (m7m missiles do have a great range.... about 70km iirc)

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sat, 7. Apr 12, 15:15

Kraken or Cobra....
Where is it?

Aidyer
x3tc

Post by Aidyer » Sat, 7. Apr 12, 16:19

Interesting... when I did board once or twice in TC in my Cobra I always went underneath the target ship and fired missiles from there, so the boarding pods had very little distance to travel so they won't get blown up. Though come to think of it that would be difficult doing that to a ship that's already hostile (Pirate, Xenon etc). Can someone just make it clear to me in a brief description, what is the best method to board a ship in an M7M?

highflier
x4

Post by highflier » Sat, 7. Apr 12, 16:47

Aidyer wrote:Interesting... when I did board once or twice in TC in my Cobra I always went underneath the target ship and fired missiles from there, so the boarding pods had very little distance to travel so they won't get blown up. Though come to think of it that would be difficult doing that to a ship that's already hostile (Pirate, Xenon etc). Can someone just make it clear to me in a brief description, what is the best method to board a ship in an M7M?
you dont need to sit right next to your prey... you can distract its weaponturrets to prevent it shooting down your pods.

check my thread: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=319626

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”