PPC vs IBL [TC]

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

p00fer
x4

PPC vs IBL [TC]

Post by p00fer » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 00:51

So im looking at both weapons, right now my newly capped titan has 32 IBL's 5 CFA's, 2 FAA's...but have available some PPC's and they just keep coming in loot (i've prolly sold at least 15 in the last 2 days...)

so my question is, what shld i use in the Titan, right now with the ibls it can take down 2 Q's in a row w.o breaking a sweat (provided the dumbass actually engages in combat before its too late)

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 00:53

PPC's are better IBL's are for ships (or turret slots) that cant use better capital grade weapons

p00fer
x4

Post by p00fer » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 01:00

kk, lets try that then....so far loving the destructive power of my new acqusition...lets take it up a notch :D

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 01:17

A ship with frontal PPCs would kill one with frontal IBLs and receive zero damage because of the better weapon range. That's why PPCs as main guns (Thresher) are priceless.
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 03:40

Totally disregarding the fact that the Thresher mounts 10 PPC's forward and loses in a battle that lasts past the first salvo.

The IBL seems to be more of a slugging weapon, rather than a more immediate kill weapon like a PPC. Of course the definition is a bit subjective since you're still banging on a capital ship with 6GJ+ of shields.

Does anyone have hard numbers to see which is more energy efficient?

Personally I like to mix 2-4 Ion Cannons and 4-6 GC instead.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 04:06

Triaxx2 wrote:Does anyone have hard numbers to see which is more energy efficient?
Let's see ...

If I'm reading the numbers right 1 PPC uses 576 units of energy for each round, and fire 43.8 rounds per minute. Total energy usage for the PPC is 25228,8 units of energy per minute.

1 IBL use 526 units of energy for each round, and fire 54.5 rounds per minute. Total energy usage for the IBL is 28667 units of energy per minute.

So the PPC seem to be a hair more efficient.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 05:14

Your encyclopedia has all the info. IBL is poor man's PPC and it only is actually useful on Split M7s. Less range, more energy usage than PPC for very similar damage. They are mainly useful on Tiger, which with 8x of them it becomes quite a fine ship, also to a degree on Panther (6x) and even less degree on Agamemnon (4x turret front). Not so much in side turrets of Deimos or Cerberus where there's only 2 of them on each side. Some people also put them top/bottom on Boreas, but that means no FLAK at all.

If you can mount GC instead, do it. If you can mount PPC instead, do it. If you can't, Get IBL only if it's the only thing you can mount in a capital turret slot.
Where is it?

p00fer
x4

Post by p00fer » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 06:25

yep i sent it a nice supply of 14 PPC's so far, wont be long to fill the rest
it survived me leaving for bout 15 mins to do a kill mission and cap a carrack, gonna sell this one since i already haz 2 carracks and i'm not even using them atm, too fragile for OOS and too volatile for IS in my current project (if i don't have any better, which now i do)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”