Any one try to fly an Galleon like you would a M7?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vagrant Storm
x3

Any one try to fly an Galleon like you would a M7?

Post by Vagrant Storm » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 21:45

I recently captured a Pirate Galleon and when I pulled it along side my Shrike to get a jumpdrive on it to get to safety I realized that size-wise it about the same as my Shrike. Shield-wise it is the same as my Shrike. Speed is pretty close...10mps slower, but when speed really matters I have the booster running anyway. Weapons however...are a couple steps above what my rather impressive Shrike has (though I don't know if I want to let go of my Gauss Cannons, though it has more laser energy so it probably can run IBLs a decent amount of time).

So I've been thinking about giving this thing a whirl...not as a M1, but rather use it as I have been using my Shrike. However all I can find on it is how horrible of a M1 it is and I can see why, but I am thinking it might make a good M7 though.

I repaired it and upgraded the engine and rudder(after saving) and flying it feels about the same as my Shrike, but I haven't equiped it yet or fought with it. I just thought that if this was a "good idea" there would be some mention of it and I can't find anything on the subject.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 22:03

You'll run out of energy before you can do any serious damage. GCs is what makes Shrike so good.
Where is it?

ConCorDian
x4

Post by ConCorDian » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 22:18

the Galleon has less laser recharge iirc... so it will struggle more than the Shrike to keep up the fire rate.

as well as being slower than the M7 class it is a good bit less manuverable, as an in sector ship its actually fairly inferior to most M7's as a ship in its own rights... its main power comes from its fighters, where the only M7 that can come close is the Panther...

that said i have used it as a patrol ship between Savage Spur and Weavers Tempest equiped with 25 M3's... if you fit it out with heavy capital ship weapons where possible it can be a fairly good OOS ship.

Vagrant Storm
x3

Post by Vagrant Storm » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 22:26

Hmm I was thinking I would use Chain guns in a couple turrets, but I suppose a couple turrets of IBLs and PPCs would eat it up too fast. The laser energy is about 54,000...on par with a fair amount of M7s, but I guess they aren't mounting PPCs or over a dozen IBLs.

Oh well, it is probably just ship yard food.

Think it would work decent as an OoS guard for my complex? (or one of the six Zues's I've pirated...only have sold one so far). It honestly hasn't been attacked yet so I haven't seen any OoS combat yet. Right now I just have a wing of various M3's I've capped patrolling the sector around it.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Mon, 9. Apr 12, 22:39

What are you talking about. Don't look at max energy, look at recharge rate. Galleon has less than half of typical M6's energy generator. It can hardly keep the FLAK going.

You should be arming it like it was Centaur, not Cerberus.
Where is it?

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 10. Apr 12, 00:55

Don't listen to Delray.

The Galleon is an awesome ship. When flown as an M7 it deals a tremendous amount of damage very quickly, and it's capable of taking out multiple Q's which I find even my destroyers and Panther are hard pressed to do.

In part it's because it's got a tiny profile for an M1, and in part it's because like the Panther it has a lot of fighters to do the really hard work of killing fighters. It also mounts rear IBL so it can kite slower ships.

I say this from the experience of flying a Galleon for several months and enjoying it tremendously. It stacks up well against just about any M7, and beats several carriers.

The best advice is always fly the ships. Don't rely on the stats. Stats are useful to know, but they don't tell you things. The Galleon is tiny. Compared to other carriers it's practically miniscule. It's so small that it can dodge fire that other ships can't. It beats most M7's for size, Griffon not withstanding. The Carrack is smaller, but all M7's are smaller than their respective carriers. It's much wider though so...

In any case, the Galleon is a great ship. Don't let the stats fool you.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 10. Apr 12, 01:33

I call BS on the above post. Galleon doesn't have energy to even dent a Q, and if you want to strafe, shoot from rear turret or spam missiles, Raptor, Tokyo or Condor can do it much better, and they all can hold many more fighters.
Where is it?

layton99
x3tc

Post by layton99 » Tue, 10. Apr 12, 06:06

The Galleon rips Q's apart large enough shielding, can fire lots of missles, decent placed guns. I loved mine. The recharge rate isn't good but the power of the lasers means it is more than capable.

However it isn't a replacement M7 really is a pirate ship (not quite as good as everything else in its class)
Layton

For the SPLIT!

KongRudi
x3tc

Post by KongRudi » Tue, 10. Apr 12, 06:28

Might be a Incidenary Bomb Launcher-spoile,r wich some might concider cheating.
Spoiler
Show
Fire IBL in rapid, small fireballs - short burst, don't charge it up for more damage.. You'll do alot more damage, than using the big energy hungry slow full fireball-charge, with just alitle bit less damage.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 10. Apr 12, 16:26

According to the stats, the Galleon should lose every time. In truth, the Galleon wins hands down. For one because it's sufficiently small that even minor corrections in it's course dodge fire, much less strafing, for another, while it does not have sustained firepower, it's more than enough to chew through the shields on the Q and start breaking up the hull.

For an initial strike, you've got to take into account both the battery and the generator. Capital weapons fire such that you're getting some recharge out of them, and the sheer size of batteries means you've got a while to fire. It's not the seemingly infinite batteries of an M2, but it's a lot more than it seems.

Not to mention that it's got twice the hull of the Q, and far more concentrated firepower.

ConCorDian
x4

Post by ConCorDian » Tue, 10. Apr 12, 17:05

im going to have to agree with Delray on this... Galleon being better than an M7 doesn't work.

fair enough we are compairing apples and oranges here but still... ship for ship if i wanted to pick and M7 or the Galleon for taking down a Q id personally pick the Tiger, if i wanted a small scale carrier id pick the Panther.

for anti cap work the Tiger out suppasses the Galleon... its got a smaller profile, way better laser recharge, good bit more speed and turn rate.

if its as a carrier, the panther yes has 5 less fighter slots, but its laser recharge is over double the Galleons so even though you dont have that same opening punch your going to sustain your fire better. making up for those missing fighters. then to really finnish the argument its a lot faster, more manuverable, and over double the accel.

as i said we are compairing apples and oranges, yes they look similar when it comes to size but inside them it all changes... im not saying the Galleon is a bad ship, i do like it.. but to argue the fact that its better than an M7 in the M7 role imo is wrong.

not to mention the fact that your basing the Galeons ability as a player ship where your strafing shouldn't come into it, everyone is different, some people are better fighters than others... then take into account that a Q is fairly easily taken down by an M3 when piloted by the player (at least i find it that way), does that mean the M3 class is better at doing the job? no it doesn't...

@OP: end of the day try it out, i dont always fly the best ships... i fly what i feel comfortable flying, if you prefer the Galleon from a personal point of veiw the use the Galleon, if you prefer an M7 then use the M7. its a single player game, its all about how you feel about the ships not what we do

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 10. Apr 12, 17:32

Maybe he's playing TC where Q doesn't have 750000 hull points?
Where is it?

WingC3
x4

Post by WingC3 » Tue, 10. Apr 12, 18:34

All I know is the shrike, on 8 IBLs only can make pretty short work of a Q in AP. Maybe 20 seconds maximum from first shot to the death of the Q, and I can usually pull it off without taking a single hit from the Q's IBL's.

So considering the Galleon's additional weapons, I think the claims that it can chew threw a Q before the energy becomes much of a issue are plausible.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 11. Apr 12, 05:06

I am playing TC, and you're right, I could probably only take one AP Q at a time.

I'm not talking strafing either. Strafing means it's no contest, but left to their own devices, a Galleon will beat a Q.

Are M7's better at being M7's? Certainly. Is it more effective to fly the Galleon as an M7 than it is as a carrier? Absolutely.

The problem that I incur when comparing the Galleon to the Panther isn't speed. It's quick enough for my needs and I use CODEA personnel to squeeze a bit more out of it on top of that. Nor is it the fighter capacity, which is 7 smaller in TC.

No, in fact it's the cargo bay that gets me. The Panther is a super ship, but it's got less than half the cargo bay of a Galleon. But it's twice the size for the measly gain of 7 ships.

The Tiger might have a smaller cross section, but it's a much longer ship, which means it'll get hit more as it tries to maneuver, plus all it's anti-capital punch is up front. I've seen a Carrack nearly kill a Tiger because it hit it from below. All AI control as well.

The Panther has a similiar problem, but it's less severe because it's got a turret, rather than fixed guns. It also suffers from a huge cross-section, and while it's shorter than the Tiger, the AI can't seem to figure out how not to crash into the target.

The Galleon tends to end up swinging nose away from a Q for some reason, which is fine because it mounts IBL in the rear turret.

But like I said, the Galleon isn't an M7 and can't replace one, but it's more efficient to fly it like one, which is what the OP asked.

It's also been my experience that it's easier to take a Galleon than most M7's...

Vagrant Storm
x3

Post by Vagrant Storm » Fri, 13. Apr 12, 23:50

I gave this a whirl in TC...and I think there might be some merit to it. If can kite a ship the rear turret will be the only turret firing so there isn't much issue with laser energy, but it will still have the damage capability to take out something heavy.

It takes some finesse and sometimes liberal use of the booster to stay on the extreme range of the IBLs, but if you do you will hit your pursuer and their IBLs will fall short. Q's will have a turret of PPCs that will barely be able to hit you, but they are easy to dodge and the shields can take a decent amount of hits as well. Easy Q poping...

if it is only a single ship, even a Q, I can just autopilot kill it. I will empty my laser energy in seconds, but the target will be space dust since all guns blazing from a Galleon will do some serious damage.

However, having said all this...I could also sell this ship for 60 million creds and buy an M7 that could just fly up and kill whatever I wanted. Kind of fun to have a change in tactics though.

I have it as a complex guard right now...so we will see how it handles OoS combat. If my complexes ever get attacked. So far all that has come knocking has been a few pirates no bigger than M3's.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 00:04

Load it with Falcons, load Falcons with missiles. They can do the sinking if you take care of enemy fighters for them. A bunch of properly armed fighters can tear a Q to pieces, you don't need to dance around it. Just need to distract it to put its main battery on you, and clear the skies for your Falcons to do their runs undisturbed, maybe even drone or wasp the target to expedite the process.

Not everything has to be flown as an oversized fighter...
Where is it?

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 01:09

If you can get them, use Falcon Sentinels. 400 MJ shields on a M3.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

Vagrant Storm
x3

Post by Vagrant Storm » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 01:15

delray wrote:Load it with Falcons, load Falcons with missiles. They can do the sinking if you take care of enemy fighters for them. A bunch of properly armed fighters can tear a Q to pieces, you don't need to dance around it. Just need to distract it to put its main battery on you, and clear the skies for your Falcons to do their runs undisturbed, maybe even drone or wasp the target to expedite the process.

Not everything has to be flown as an oversized fighter...
When the Q is using MARS...it will kill the fighters. If the fighters managed to lauch missles it will kill the missles and then kill the fighters.

and my goal was to fly the ship as an M7 instead of an M1. When you are using the MARS mod it knid of makes fighters completely worthless and I was just hoping to put this hull to good use. You can't buy it so I keeping it as a trophy.
Last edited by Vagrant Storm on Sat, 14. Apr 12, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 01:20

Vagrant Storm wrote:When the Q is using MARS...it will kill the fighters. If the fighters managed to lauch missles it will kill the missles and then kill the fighters.
I played with mars, 25 fighters launching swarm missiles* -> even with mars a single Q cant handle that, especially when those fighters have 200mj or even 400mj shields :) so you can always overwhelm with numbers :)

but yeah, if you want to use it as an M7 -> M7's will do a better job

edit: * of course missile fire chance should be close to a 100%

Vagrant Storm
x3

Post by Vagrant Storm » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 01:35

Jumee wrote:
Vagrant Storm wrote:When the Q is using MARS...it will kill the fighters. If the fighters managed to lauch missles it will kill the missles and then kill the fighters.
I played with mars, 25 fighters launching swarm missiles -> even with mars a single Q cant handle that, especially when those fighters have 200mj or even 400mj shields :) so you can always overwhelm with numbers :)

but yeah, if you want to use it as an M7 -> M7's will do a better job
Well I've seen a wave of fighters about the same size disappear in less than a minute when attacking my ship. There will be losses and I don't think the destruction of one Q is worth the millions of creds that would disappear with even lossing 3 or 4 fighters.

I haven't tried carrier/fighter tactics yet though. I've just seen what happens to my missiles and drones if I send them against anything bigger than a M6. Well, I have a set of 8 in my Shrike for running down fast targets that don't want to come into range, but that is it. Large scale fighter warfare just sounds like money sink to me.

I have plans once I get the ability to build ships to make a fighter wing of Blastclaw prototypes with four EBCs in their turrets for fighters and four Plasma Burst Generators as main guns for when they get in a knife fight...and of corse missiles. However, if there is a capital ship arround they will probably stay docked.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”