[SCR][TC/AP] TCAN - Menudriven Full Auto Naming plugin v0.99.9

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Mon, 1. Oct 12, 00:24

Orfevs wrote:Well - if it ain't working, sumpthin' ain't rite!

So if something seems odd, it probably needs fixing.

And yes, the funky names *will* be fixed in due time.
I'll probably have to rethink the entire nameset structure to make words fit better together, but that's absolutely last on the list since that's as far from actual scripting as you can get while still being part of TCAN.
Well so far so good. It does need a little tweaking in regards to those funky names but its moving in the right direction.

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Wed, 3. Oct 12, 04:34

joelR wrote: Well so far so good. It does need a little tweaking in regards to those funky names but its moving in the right direction.
Indeed. But for now I really need to take a little break. Been doing little else than coding on this script for the last 2 months and have to refresh my way of thinking to find a solution for the names too. Right now I'm a bit too stuck in my way. While the wing numbering options isn't implemented, you could still number the fighter aspect and include wings (by attach) . That should work for a temporary solution.

As for names, using opposites of each other works really well.
2 Aspects in particular uses opposites. Frigate and Salvage aspect. Take notes from those and customize as you see fit.
I made TCAN highly configurable for this reason: You can select what you want. And if you're keen on using numbering, using the aspect "common" name (previously "example" name) as a common base with numbers and perhaps the homebase unique name/number/common name or combination thereof.

I want to narrow down the namesets as much as possible so I can squeeze in more - or perhaps start using the custom namesets. I do believe 100 namesets are more than enough, if not too much.

One Hundred Arrays of names. That's a friggin' lot!
Egosoft got 2 arrays per race for their name gen.

So I want these in the names:
Cuddly stuff. Nothing is worse than a cute rogue.. or?
"Demon Panda"?
"Hell Kitty"?

Fish, with "Angry" nameset.. makes you wonder - is that fish.. dangerous?
"The Howling Cod"
"The Furious Halibut"
"The Ravaging Herring"

Normal people names (of the more uncommon sort) with "holy" set.
"Holy Edgar"
"Saint Mathilda"
"Blessed Bart"

Is there a limit to this?
I mean, I can't add things like "punk a$$ mofo" to my script. That's what the custom namesets are for.

Anyway - got to go find inspiration for the next bout.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Wed, 3. Oct 12, 07:29

Alright man. You deserve a break!

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Thu, 6. Jun 13, 02:56

New revision out (v 099.9).

Some minor tweaking done to get the most out of the ship-naming.
Names won't be as dorky if you use two entries from the main namesets.
TCAN TC/AP Artificial Life, Menudriven Automated Ship/Station Namer
Spex: i7 4790K@4Ghz 16Gb DDR3 GTX970Strix(4Gb)
X:R 454 Hours. 15 hours unmodded.

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Fri, 7. Jun 13, 14:19

Getting close to ver 1.0 :)
I think I'll go ahead and try this out, looks good.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Sat, 8. Jun 13, 14:04

Actually, it's more akin to version 5. 0. I'm just being modest.
It has full functionality, and everything I'm doing generally boils down to minor tweaking.
It's my own goal that marks version 1, which includes the items in the todo list. The milestone would be the inclusion of fully automatic numbering and special handling of wings though.

Feedback fuels my desire to continue doing something about it, so keep it coming.

dispatchcompg
x3tc

Post by dispatchcompg » Sat, 15. Jun 13, 04:26

Just information this is completely incompatible with XRM 1.29c. Multiple readtext errors in weapons, missiles, and ships. Happy I found the culprit finally; sad that this doesn't play well. Looks like a solid mod though; thank you for your hard work on it.

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Tue, 18. Jun 13, 13:21

All textfiles and command slots used were previously marked as unused before registering - to avoid such conflicts.
I'm not using XRM so I cannot say where the beef's at. Yet.

dispatchcompg
x3tc

Post by dispatchcompg » Tue, 18. Jun 13, 16:38

I'm not sure either; haven't had time to dig around much in the xmls to see. Figured it might be helpful though to those who do use XRM to know what works and what doesn't; considering how [sarcasm] "simple" [/sarcasm] it is to install / uninstall scripts without cycrow's program.

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 00:53

Well, I'm unfamiliar with XRM, so I don't know if that yields much messages.

Anyway, I've installed XRM on a vanilla AP installation making 3 separate spk's because of the difficulties in installing it. Then added TCAN after that.
I see no problems whatsoever.

XRM and TCAN both has no text error messages in the menus I can access.
All the ships I can see have names, and I can name my ships just fine.
Adding a ship with Cycrow's cheat worked just fine, list of ships and weapons were all ok, and I got myself a brand spanking new Zephyrus named "ATMZp Charmed Dive"... so I do believe your problem lies elsewhere.

dispatchcompg
x3tc

Post by dispatchcompg » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 17:09

Orfevs wrote:Well, I'm unfamiliar with XRM, so I don't know if that yields much messages.

Anyway, I've installed XRM on a vanilla AP installation making 3 separate spk's because of the difficulties in installing it. Then added TCAN after that.
I see no problems whatsoever.

XRM and TCAN both has no text error messages in the menus I can access.
All the ships I can see have names, and I can name my ships just fine.
Adding a ship with Cycrow's cheat worked just fine, list of ships and weapons were all ok, and I got myself a brand spanking new Zephyrus named "ATMZp Charmed Dive"... so I do believe your problem lies elsewhere.
Fair enough. Sounds like an incorrect installation via the script manager if you're turning the cats/dats into SPKs. I'll post some links to what I'm seeing in my install as they'll be way over the 100k limit (AP. XRM via fake patch for part 1 / part 2; copying the scripts / t folders over from part 3; then copying the scripts / t folders from TCAN over. Nothing is overwritten of course [no conflicts in that respect]. Right now I'm not using the script manager. Manual installs for the scripts I use.

With TCAN + XRM (both manual installs without using Cycrow's script manager): SS 1 (showing Argon M6s) SS 2 (showing missiles for the Sirokos; Starting ship of the OTAS Operative start)

With XRM only: SS1 (showing Argon M6s) SS2 (showing missiles for the Sirokos; starting ship of the OTAS Operative start)

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 18:36

While I'm not using a cockpit mod, this is what I get with the same setup using TCAN and XRM:
Stupid ISP killed my webspace. Images gone.

I do get a readtext entry in the 2 minute startup until everything starts working though. But once that's done, it's gone.

With cockpit mod
Stupid ISP killed my webspace. Images gone.

Mind, I *am* using the script manager, using the 2 first cat/dats in one spk as sorted fakepatches, the scripts and everything but the mov files in a separate spk (with TC and AP scripts marked for their respective versions), then the mov files as zip archive (with the mov folder). Works like a charm. If everytihng is installed ok on your side, then it could be due to lack of memory. I got 4Gb.
The cockpit mod were unzipped and made into an SPK fakepatch. Sorted.
Last edited by Orfevs on Sun, 10. Jan 16, 01:09, edited 2 times in total.

dispatchcompg
x3tc

Post by dispatchcompg » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 19:09

*scratches head* I'm really stumped now then Orfevs. Appreciate you taking time out to try and work this out with me. Sys specs on my end are on the mid-high end (dual 570GTXs; AMD 810 BE OC'd to hell and back on air [though highly stable {I've had it forever; even through old XRM installs}]; matched 2 gig ram sticks [two for 4 gigs total; no read / write errors]; dual raptors [old school..kids these days and their SSDs] in a Raid 0 with a third for primary storage along with another WD 320 gig for backups. Same boat as you wishing I had more; but wishing I had the cash to blow on more too haha.

I'll try an install or three (or seven; always love having clean manual backups) using the script manager then and report back. I just don't see what could possibly be different between the install methods (Apart from flexibility on the script-creator's end to aid in ease-of-use for the end-user).

Furthermore; the cockpit mod is off XRM's OP for continuities' sake.

EDIT: Disregard any further. Dunno what the hell the game did; but it's functioning now. Literally just started up the game again after this post and it's working. I shan't question the goblins and their mysterious ways!

Sincerely though, thank you for taking time to tech this problem with me.
Last edited by dispatchcompg on Wed, 19. Jun 13, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 19:12

Did a little edit. Re read please.

EDIT:
I'm happy to help :)
If there are any serious bugs in TCAN, I need to fix them anyway.
(The only thing that's bugging me now though, are the wonky names that are generated per the default setup - so that will change with the next release. By re-designing the aspects.)

dispatchcompg
x3tc

Post by dispatchcompg » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 19:57

Yea. So far I haven't run into any funky names in my albeit rather short time in using it. Only so much you can do though in a procedurally generated list. Even much less ambitious projects have those issues. One example being Cataclysm DDA (ascii based roguelike zombie apocalypse styled game) has procedurally generated houses that sometimes generate with doors that lead nowhere (a door in the middle of a living room) or doors built on a T intersection of a house; spanning two rooms incidentally. So far though this seems really robust.

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Wed, 19. Jun 13, 22:10

I think I might have one of those doors in TCAN. Not procedurally generated, but rather non-functional tags that was supposed to provide statistics. Question remains whether I should remove them or not since statistics gathering may take up too much cpu time from an already jam-packed plugin list. Besides, I prefer Nethack :-P

dispatchcompg
x3tc

Post by dispatchcompg » Thu, 20. Jun 13, 06:27

What kinds of statistics? Statistics would be something fun to have available. On the other hand I keep forgetting this engine is ancient and doesn't multithread and would in this respect be something along the lines of ArmA's scripting engine.

I've been away for quite a while with regards to scripting for this engine. Are any third-party QoS tools available to see what threads are being spawned and chewing up processing time outside of the game itself? Or are folks still stuck with watching the in-game script editor still? If you ran it non-realtime (like your main re-name thread already is on a looped timer) I don't know how much of an impact it would have. I'd say have a look at what the OOS combat rebalance did for an example of a script that's extremely taxing (processor-wise). Even then in that case the slowdown came from iterations and logs for every out of sector combat event across the known galaxy; and mostly from the logging; reports of 10-15 FPS drops and microstutter from the hard-drives having a CVA writing 2 and 3 gigabyte log files.

OT: I still have a Nethack install on this machine somewhere. Anymore though it's Dwarf Fortress, Dungeons of Dredmor, or Cataclysm:DDA for my roguelike fixes :P Only one of those doesn't run a tileset for "pretty" 8 bit or 16 bit pictures. I must be getting old. :lol:

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Thu, 20. Jun 13, 18:51

Statistics such as trader expenses, turnaround and general effectiveness.
Loads hauled, rocks mined and such. Low profile statistics. The statistics would be based off of what kind of aspect the ship/station/whatever was given. I don't have a clear view of what or how to approach this though.
Only that I don't want to make a log file out of it. As an export, perhaps.
Also, not in a way that produces miles of datasheets, but rather a summary. It would probably be signal based to trigger an "update".

Can't make any combat related statistics, since that would properly kill the combat experience - especially in a massive fleet vs fleet battle - no matter how I try to do it. The naming itself is a scaled timed loop. The more time you chose between updates, the more time it takes between each object to update as well. Just to prevent lagging where other processes need priority.

In regards to QoS tool; I've never considered using any tools other than for scripting purposes for the X-universe, so I can't really say. Personally I'm using a little known script editor (EScE) where I've manually edited the data files to bring it up to spec with at least Terran Conflict.
Haven't actually used the internal script editor... at all.

destroll
x3tc

Post by destroll » Sun, 26. Jan 14, 21:51

Sorry for the thread necro, but it's related to this mod so... >_>

Really want to like this thing.
Really really want to like this thing.
The idea of it personalizing my fleets for me automatically is awesome, and the list of features is cool and all buuuuuut...

HOLY CRAP, this mod's menu system has me so confused that its making me feel rather stupid right now.

I know there is a way for the mod to replace the "Your" prefix with other stuff, it gives an option to do so right on the first window of the mod, but I just can not seem to make it work for me.

It just leads me through a labyrinth of "wtf is that?" options and screens I can't figure out a way though or find a way out of.

As an example of what I'm currently experiencing;

The Humble Merchant starter ships, "Your Mercury" and "Your Discoverer".

The mod renamed the Mercury "ATSMrc^Ergo est sum" as soon as I turned it on in the AL options.
My "Your Discoverer" has similarly now been renamed to "AM5Dsc<<Cour>>The Hurried Behemoth"....

Considering that it's been over 6 months since the last post in this thread I'm going to take a guess that the mod's author is no longer working on or supporting it(???), but if there is anyone else out there that can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

What I'd actually like to do with this mod is to replace the word "Your" with my own prefix "Conglomo Corp." (so that I no longer have to go do that manually with every single one of my company's vessels), and for it to keep the ship's actual model name (Mercury, Discoverer, Nova, etc., etc.,).

Whether or not it adds a suffix I don't really care, heck might even be interesting in the sense that I could see it as being each pilot's Call Sign.

But the garbled abbreviations and the way it removes the ship's class/type name are somewhat annoying to me.

I just can't seem to figure out the menu system set-up for the mod so it will do what I want it to. >.<

:gruebel::gruebel::gruebel:
Conglomo Corp. "We own EVERYTHING."
CNGM on the GSE. Like us on Spacebook!
"Spacebook" is a registered trademark of the
Conglomo Corporation. ©MMCMXLVIII
"Conglomo, we even own YOU."

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 07:01

destroll wrote: I know there is a way for the mod to replace the "Your" prefix with other stuff, it gives an option to do so right on the first window of the mod, but I just can not seem to make it work for me.
In the main menu, when you select "Replace the 'your' prefix", it opens up one more menu entry directly below. It opens the prompt for what you wish to replace it with. Click on that and enter your choice.

Furthermore, you wish to tun AL to semi-auto. That way way you must set ship aspects manually, and the "Your" replacement will work.
destroll wrote: The mod renamed the Mercury "ATSMrc^Ergo est sum" as soon as I turned it on in the AL options. My "Your Discoverer" has similarly now been renamed to "AM5Dsc<<Cour>>The Hurried Behemoth"....
"Ergo Est Sum" is player ship aspect. The name you got there is the Unique Name for the current player ship. It follows the player, not the ship.
Changing ships will resume the ships actual aspect and you will find it has another name.
Player ship aspect can be turned off in the main tcan menu.

The abbreviations means:
Argon TS (freighter) Mercury
Argon M5 Discoverer (and it was set up with courier aspect due to lack of guns and sensors)
destroll wrote: Considering that it's been over 6 months since the last post in this thread I'm going to take a guess that the mod's author is no longer working on or supporting it(???), but if there is anyone else out there that can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.
You'd be surprised...
destroll wrote: What I'd actually like to do with this mod is to replace the word "Your" with my own prefix "Conglomo Corp." (so that I no longer have to go do that manually with every single one of my company's vessels), and for it to keep the ship's actual model name (Mercury, Discoverer, Nova, etc., etc.,).
If you just want to replace the "Your" prefix, there's a much much smaller mod available for that..
destroll wrote: Whether or not it adds a suffix I don't really care, heck might even be interesting in the sense that I could see it as being each pilot's Call Sign.

But the garbled abbreviations and the way it removes the ship's class/type name are somewhat annoying to me.
Those abbreviations are configurable choices set by each aspect. Aspects are the role of the ships more or less. Use the main TCAN menu to turn those on/off.
Nameloader menu alters said aspects.
Nameshooter is the renaming menu for single ships/objects.
Nameset menu is sort of redundant, as it's better to edit the textfiles instead (and importing afterwards).

For the most part, those abbreviations tell you just what kind of ship you're flying around in, and is about the most important information there is when you got a whopping list of ships.

If you wish "Conglomo Corp." as prefix, just set it as your company name and add that to the aspect. I advise against using that name for all your ships if you wish to see what ships you actually have in the list since each aspect adds their own kind of information depending, of course, on just what that ship is doing.

Company initials are included in all ship aspects as default. As long as there are no initials, nothing will show up.
You could just as well put that name in there.

The abbreviations are there for a reason. There's only so many characters that can be shown in the list u c.

Don't panic. You can revert all ships back to "Your <shiptype>" in the
main tcan menu-> maintenance menu
if you need that.

Here's a hint. Instead of looking for something specific in the menus, just take the time to explore the menus and the answer will come to you. Start with the main menu.

Oh, I am actually still working on it. It's just that it's way boring redoing the entire textfiles for the purpose of getting solid names and cross-aspect wing numbering.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”