X3 AP Best M2 for the player

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

shadowdef
x3tc

X3 AP Best M2 for the player

Post by shadowdef » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 07:32

I'm looking for a really good m2 to solo with. The M2s i'v used so far have not really beeen that great. The koyto while it looks cool and has good storage is not really a good m2 because of it's size, their are far to many blind spots on a ship that size. With the amount of guns it has.

On the other had i always thought that the tyr was the best becasue of the way that it is designed. It's fairly small for a m2 and has very little blind spots if any. But it's low storage means that i cant carry many missiles if i want to use my jump drive.

Are their any other M2s that can match the fire power or shielding and low profile of the tyr?

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 07:36

Megalodon is my ship #1 for patrol missions. Sure, it is big, but look at the firepower and shielding. Python is OK, but without FLAK you have to do some tricky configuration for your turrets. It would be a #1 choice if you are looking for low profile though, it is so low that you get barely hit by capital ship fire. Boreas and Odysseus are worth consideration. Finally, Kyoto is actually quite useful if you use it as a base for several M8 bombers.

shadowdef
x3tc

Post by shadowdef » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 08:36

kurush wrote:Megalodon is my ship #1 for patrol missions. Sure, it is big, but look at the firepower and shielding. Python is OK, but without FLAK you have to do some tricky configuration for your turrets. It would be a #1 choice if you are looking for low profile though, it is so low that you get barely hit by capital ship fire. Boreas and Odysseus are worth consideration. Finally, Kyoto is actually quite useful if you use it as a base for several M8 bombers.
Hmm im pretty sure that the tyr has more fire power and shielding then the megalodon. Also the megalodon is far to big of a target.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 09:22

Ray.

Yea, they added some fancy M2s since Reunion, but when I see a K in Nyana's, that's the ship I call. It can sink anything, can sink it fast, and can do it while looking cool. It's like a cannon, and in addition to that, it's faster than almost every other M2 and also top of its class in cargo space.
Where is it?

shadowdef
x3tc

Post by shadowdef » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 09:46

Yeah the K is very powerful, but the K is near impossible to cap from what I'v heard. But your right i'd love to get my hands on one :)

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 11:11

Delray was talking about the Ray not the K.
Which I would agree with to be honest. I use a megalodon most of the time, but I own several Rays because they are fantastic.

I dont and never will understand the popularity of terran ships :D
I dont think i've ever owned one except a Thor.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 11:51

Terran ships can be great, you just need to acknowledge the inferiority of PSP, and learn to use it properly, get closer to the target than you otherwise would, sit in the turret yourself, charge up all the shots... and don't miss (lol). Then deliver some Wraiths to the target's hull if there's any left, and you've won. There was a lot of math proving charged PSP is the most powerful gun in the game. You just need extra skill to use it.
Where is it?

shadowdef
x3tc

Post by shadowdef » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 11:58

delray wrote:Terran ships can be great, you just need to acknowledge the inferiority of PSP, and learn to use it properly, get closer to the target than you otherwise would, sit in the turret yourself, charge up all the shots... and don't miss (lol). Then deliver some Wraiths to the target's hull if there's any left, and you've won. There was a lot of math proving charged PSP is the most powerful gun in the game. You just need extra skill to use it.
I feel same way, the terran ships are the most shielded and have the most powerful gun. Aka the PSP, the PSP just requires that you learn how to aim it. Once you've mastered it you can easily tear down even the most powerful ships shields with a single volly.

But i can understand why people perfer the other cap weapons. But still in the hands of the player, the PSP the most deadly gun in the game. :D

shadowdef
x3tc

Post by shadowdef » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 12:11

I don't want to make a new post for this so i'll just ask here. Is there anyway that i can get a terran equipment dock? I love the way the terran equipment docks and defence stations look. By far the best looking stations in the game. Also they'd be great for a homebase i could dock all my storage TLs there and turn it in to my galactic storage center.

I'v also heard that X3AP you can get Jump Beacons. Not sure if thats true or not. But I'd love to be able to get my hands on them.

Ps. I dont want to mod my game so mods are out. :)

[SOLAR]INFERNO
x4

Post by [SOLAR]INFERNO » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 16:58

shadowdef wrote:Yeah the K is very powerful, but the K is near impossible to cap from what I'v heard. But your right i'd love to get my hands on one :)
Myself, I'd like to get myself an I. The stats on that thing are great. Pity, I've never so much as even seen one ingame...

lubnius
x4

Post by lubnius » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 17:25

overtuned valhalla

Naroku
x3tc

Post by Naroku » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 22:37

Valhalla I nebver seen. EVER! Serious been through all the sectors in terren space. Would love to cap that ship and use it when I could. But I scaned many terrren ships and no jump beacons I seen.
Walk softly and carry a big gun.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 22:46

They fly in pairs in war sectors. Sometimes.
Where is it?

lubnius
x4

Post by lubnius » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 22:48

valhalla can be found in:
Spoiler
Show
asteroid belt, circle of labour, omicron lyrae

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 23:06

delray wrote:Terran ships can be great, you just need to acknowledge the inferiority of PSP, and learn to use it properly, get closer to the target than you otherwise would, sit in the turret yourself, charge up all the shots... and don't miss (lol). Then deliver some Wraiths to the target's hull if there's any left, and you've won. There was a lot of math proving charged PSP is the most powerful gun in the game. You just need extra skill to use it.
Ah I see, so terran capitals are springblossoms. Overpowered in player hands. Another reason to avoid them like the plague.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 23:14

Axeface wrote:Ah I see, so terran capitals are springblossoms. Overpowered in player hands. Another reason to avoid them like the plague.
well in Vanilla until the appearance of Megalodon in AP, Terran capitals were the only ones that could always stop xenon Q, so their main strength is OOS combat IS they are not that impressive, Tyr looks kinda pretty though

also they are sort of balanced in AI hands because their weapons are awful but shields are high so if you want someone to engage the enemy and tank the damage -> make it a terran ship

and regarding manually overcharging and firing turrets -> meh, given that you cant pilot while you do that and then have to cycle through the turret groups to get back to cockpit -> I cant be bothered with that

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 23:20

Ah I see, so terran capitals are springblossoms. Overpowered in player hands. Another reason to avoid them like the plague.
No, you're completely wrong (again). That actually balances them very well inside the class. Terran guns are weaker than PPC/IonC/GC, but with some skill and personal commitment you can make up for that and make your Osaka work fine for you. I like how Tyr has good speed but little cargo space, great guns loadout and shielding, but not enough space to make everyone's wet dreams come true. That's a great example of the kin of sacrifice that should be applied to Springblossom, speed and shields in exchange for cargo space.

M2 class is a good example of how other ship classes should be balanced. When you think about it.
Where is it?

Max1045
x4

Post by Max1045 » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 23:46

delray wrote:M2 class is a good example of how other ship classes should be balanced. When you think about it.
I disagree. Sort of. I actually think balance is one of the best done elements of the game. M6's are very well balanced, excluding a couple obvious ships (Hyperion/Springblossom). I'd say the pinnacle of balance is the M7s, myself. Each is effective in its own right. Need a pre-AP capital destroyed? Thresher. Need a sector held down? Agamemnon/Deimos. Need a cheap, well armed carrier? Panther. Don't want to worry about fighters? Cerbersus/Astraeus. Want a cheap mini destroyer? Shrike. Want an overpriced comparably weak ship that can't equip proper anti-frigate weapons? The Yokohama is for you! Need an M7 that flies like an M6 for personal use? Try the Carrack.

As I said, I don't really think the destroyers are the pinnacle of balance. :)

jkjklkl
x3ap

Post by jkjklkl » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 23:52

Axeface wrote: Ah I see, so terran capitals are springblossoms. Overpowered in player hands. Another reason to avoid them like the plague.
It's not the ship that's overpowered; it's the player. Once you get in a ship, it's automatically the best ship of its class because you are a hell of a lot smarter than the AI

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 23:59

Yes, M7s are well-done against other M7s and the same largely applies to M6s (well, almost all of them). I like how Heavy Dragon is different than Heavy Hydra and Heavy Nemesis, or how Tiger compares to Thresher or Cerberus, all having different features and uses.

The problem is how they compare to fighter classes, they are too fast and too agile with their cargo space, shields and guns. Fighters should be buzzing around frigates dodging their heavy fire, not be of the same or similar speed. We shouldn't be jousting against Qs in Tigers with a quick spin as we pass each other and a strafe dance around the target soon after. That's just not how a frigate should fly with the kind of gear it mounts.

And that's probably why they won't let us fly capital ships in Rebirth. :-)
Where is it?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”