Is System Override Software worth 600k?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MaximumBullfrog

Post by MaximumBullfrog » Sun, 15. Apr 12, 20:07

On top of whatever I need to do to get the SSS? Does it just save me a 10 second space walk or does it serve additional utility that'll earn back that hefty price tag?
If it's not Baroque, don't fix it.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 15. Apr 12, 20:09

No, it just saves you the 10 second space walk.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

gecos
x3tc

Re: Is System Override Software worth 600k?

Post by gecos » Sun, 15. Apr 12, 20:48

MaximumBullfrog wrote:On top of whatever I need to do to get the SSS? Does it just save me a 10 second space walk or does it serve additional utility that'll earn back that hefty price tag?
Depends how rich you are. If you're making millions by the hour than go for it.

p00fer
x4

Post by p00fer » Sun, 15. Apr 12, 20:51

this is useful only when you have multiple bails in one fight, spacewalking to them can be tedious...otherwise not worth the 2-3 mill xost (you need software scrambler to avoid gettin detected by the cops)
-Aye, fly into sun!

Vagrant Storm
x3

Post by Vagrant Storm » Sun, 15. Apr 12, 20:55

It is nice in a capital ship since you will eject so far away from your ship...though unless you want every race to shoot you on sight you need the software to hide it from scans which is another 900k and can be a pain to get.

Note that even if you have the software to hide it, if you use it in a sector that is being patrolled they will start to attack you. Though you can appologize and they will stand down. I am not sure if you take a rep hit for it though. In Xenon sectors it works great for when those LX's bail and then it is OK even if there are other commonwealth ships in the sector.

and it won't take long before 600k is not even pocket change. In my game it seems i went from scraping every credit to having hundreds of millions and credits coming in faster than I can spend it.

NovusBogus
x3

Post by NovusBogus » Sun, 15. Apr 12, 21:05

IMO not worth it given that you need both to not fail, and the scrambler is tough to get. Perhaps in a future X game SOS will not be an illegal ware and/or operate over a greater range, it might have some utility then.

jkjklkl
x3ap

Post by jkjklkl » Sun, 15. Apr 12, 21:15

If you're struggling to make ends meet, then the cash could be used for far more useful things.

If you're rolling in credits, then go ahead. You won't miss the 2m. But then again if you're that rich you probably aren't claiming every bail you get. I know I don't, simply because I'm too lazy to do so. :P

The only time I actually thought, "SOS would be really useful right about now," was when I got my first Fighter to bail in K926. Unlike in Xenon sectors with the LX bail, you can't lure away the Kha'ak because they're constantly spawning around you and ejecting could be very hazardous to your health

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Sun, 15. Apr 12, 21:28

Vagrant Storm wrote:Note that even if you have the software to hide it, if you use it in a sector that is being patrolled they will start to attack you.
What? In 8 years of playing the X series I've never known this to happen. Is that a change they added to AP?

werewolves?
x4

Post by werewolves? » Mon, 16. Apr 12, 00:16

It's handy for the capture a Xenon L mission if the sector is still hot.

I just like the idea of it for RP purposes.

Llama
x3tc

Post by Llama » Mon, 16. Apr 12, 00:25

Kirlack wrote:
Vagrant Storm wrote:Note that even if you have the software to hide it, if you use it in a sector that is being patrolled they will start to attack you.
What? In 8 years of playing the X series I've never known this to happen. Is that a change they added to AP?
Me either. Although I'm still playing TC too.

It's a great time saver, especially from cap ships. Also when you are playing a pirate game and everyone hates you, you can quickly claim a ship, transfer over a docking computer, and dock them too you before getting killed.
I fly Terran for the accents

Vagrant Storm
x3

Post by Vagrant Storm » Mon, 16. Apr 12, 03:00

werewolves? wrote:It's handy for the capture a Xenon L mission if the sector is still hot.

Really? I am playing TC though I do have AP installed. The only mods/scripts I have going are MARS and Improved Boarding, and I've added the ship repair laser and the Energy Cell generator.

I've tried it three times...twice in Argon space and once in Argon space. Each time a few of the system police will turn red and start coming at me. If I comm one and say sorry they will turn blue again. Weird...I will have to try it some more.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 16. Apr 12, 06:06

Depends who you ask it seems. It is invaluable for clearing Xenon and other enemy sectors from bailed fighters that usually pile up there. With this software you can quickly claim, transfer docking computer, transfer yourself, insta-doc. With some practice I was able to grab Ls and Ms in xenon sectors while being chased by two Qs that were almost in the fire range.

SirCharles
x3tc

Post by SirCharles » Mon, 16. Apr 12, 23:43

I was able to get the the take over software and the scrambler software pretty easy in my game. And just like my last game (X3TC) I never got around to using it. I just consider it one of my personal goals to have it. Who knows, I might get around to using it. Although I stay so busy in my game, I don't count on having time for it anytime soon.
Intel 3.1 Ghz E8500 dual core with 6 megs L3 cach. 16 gigs of 1600 Ram. EVGA Gtx 550 Ti with 2 gigs onboard Ram. 2X 120 gig ssd drives. windows 7 64 bit

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Mon, 16. Apr 12, 23:54

Vagrant Storm wrote:
werewolves? wrote:It's handy for the capture a Xenon L mission if the sector is still hot.

Really? I am playing TC though I do have AP installed. The only mods/scripts I have going are MARS and Improved Boarding, and I've added the ship repair laser and the Energy Cell generator.

I've tried it three times...twice in Argon space and once in Argon space. Each time a few of the system police will turn red and start coming at me. If I comm one and say sorry they will turn blue again. Weird...I will have to try it some more.
That's probably for shooting people rather than having illegal goods aboard.
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

wRAR
x3tc

Post by wRAR » Tue, 17. Apr 12, 01:18

Are you required to get into the same very close range to use the software? It's certainly more difficult to do that in a ship than in the space suit.

p00fer
x4

Post by p00fer » Tue, 17. Apr 12, 02:10

in my m7m i have to get within 100 m, vs the 50 of space suit
-Aye, fly into sun!

layton99
x3tc

Post by layton99 » Tue, 17. Apr 12, 06:19

If you already have MODs then go to salvage claim software II. Isn't detected by the police.

I find it useful as saves so much time and effort space walk claiming also with mark II claims within 4km rather than 100m.
Layton

For the SPLIT!

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 17. Apr 12, 07:05

layton99 wrote: I find it useful as saves so much time and effort space walk claiming also with mark II claims within 4km rather than 100m.
SOS claim range depends on the ship type. It is about 4 or 5 km for M1 and M2, about 1 km for M7 and gets much lower for M6 and the like. So, unless it also can teleport the ship you claiming straight to your hangar, I see no point in using it over SOS.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Tue, 17. Apr 12, 07:54

kurush wrote:So, unless it also can teleport the ship you claiming straight to your hangar, I see no point in using it over SOS.
Well, sitting in my Panther most of the time:

• fly to bailed ship
• select bailed ship
• overtake bailed ship
• transfer docking computer into now overtaken bailed ship
• transfer yourself into bailed ship
• select Panther
• instant dock
• retransfer docking computer into Panther
• move to the next bailed ship
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 17. Apr 12, 08:19

silenced wrote: Well, sitting in my Panther most of the time:

• fly to bailed ship
• select bailed ship
• overtake bailed ship
• transfer docking computer into now overtaken bailed ship
• transfer yourself into bailed ship
• select Panther
• instant dock
• retransfer docking computer into Panther
• move to the next bailed ship
Exactly my point :) I am wondering whether this salvage software has any benefits over this sequence. Too many keypresses for my taste, I would prefer a single "grab that ship" button.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”