M0's: super-advanced Ships of untold power and Inginuity? Or Mega-Weapons of doom?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

What do you think an M0 really is?

A Massive hulk that is able to destroy anything in it's way, and clash with other M0's in titanic battles.
21%
A Ship prized by it's respective race, acting as a flagship and a all-round capital ship.
36%
A testimony of the inginuity and strife of it's creators, as well as a showcase for the pinnacle of their ship building technology.
11%
A Ship designed to overwhelm opponents with unrelenting force.
7%
Depends on the race that created it.
25%

Total votes: 28

The X-Plorer

M0's: super-advanced Ships of untold power and Inginuity? Or Mega-Weapons of doom?

Post by The X-Plorer » Wed, 18. Apr 12, 22:11

Im not sure if anyone has thought over this... but what exactly makes an M0 an M0? Is it some kind of ship that is of Relic status that has capabilities too great for words to describe? Or is it a mobile super weapon that can annihilate anything (And clash with other M0's)? :sceptic:

I've been asking myself this since I first heard of an M0. I wonder what everyone thinks of it.

Feel free to reply, Ladies and Gentlemen. :D
Happy accidents are just another form of discovery, except they are way more fun.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Wed, 18. Apr 12, 22:17

Mobile station.
Where is it?

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 18. Apr 12, 22:18

I think it was a Xenon or Khaak planet destroyer only encountered once.

In player hands would completely unbalance the game, so he/she will never
be able to play with one.

The X-Plorer

Post by The X-Plorer » Wed, 18. Apr 12, 22:27

brucewarren wrote:I think it was a Xenon or Khaak planet destroyer only encountered once.

In player hands would completely unbalance the game, so he/she will never
be able to play with one.
Have you taken a look at Earthpilot's Xenon G?

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=274276

And who's to say #Deca was, in it's own right, an M0? It's quite a bit large for an M1...

Plus just the thought of seeing one fly in... or being IN one.... makes you think alot.

In addition, there could always be an 'Achilles heel' to the M0... it's not like M0's are Indestructible. Otherwise you could wage war on one of the major races with just the M0 and crush them.

Theres even a M0 wreck that you can find in the TSpecial File using the X3 Editor.
delray wrote:Mobile station.
Thats actually a good thought there... The only differences are that M0s are (In most cases) armed and (Depending on which station you compare it to) are even bigger. Now that I think about it I could see the argon M0 like that.... Perhaps The station 'Antigone' (As described in the info on the sector 'Antigone Memorial' In TC) was actually an M0? Especially if it had wings of ships as defenders.
Happy accidents are just another form of discovery, except they are way more fun.

devilsad
x3tc

Post by devilsad » Wed, 18. Apr 12, 23:32

M0 is the Mothership class, so I imagine a huge hulk that acts as a mobile base, ludicrously well defended, and basically one of its kind. I don't imagine the Teladi would have the same idea for its purpose as the Split or even the Paranid. It could be a super-destroyer, it could be a flying trade center, it could be a planet-seeder whose purpose is to claim unknown sectors. But it should embody the spirit and purpose of its creators.

Electric
x3tc

Post by Electric » Wed, 18. Apr 12, 23:33

Prized Flagship for me,

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 00:35

I believe that the M0s that have turned up in the game were actually planet-killing ships with little in the way of ship-to-ship defences. So in essence, none of the above.

Of course, a lot of people like to call them huge flagships, but I think that's what the M1 class should be for - leave the overpriced flying hangars to the M7 class, and stick some guns on that thang. Because with capital anti-fighter weapons being so strong, there is really no point in having a dedicated fleet carrier with no other functions.

simo98

Post by simo98 » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 00:51

A huge mobile base battleship/super carrier type thing.

Maybe a little Death Star-esque, that would satisfy the planet destroyer criteria too.
-Eh, ill get around to it.

Llama
x3tc

Post by Llama » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 01:10

The arran would be close if it had guns and proper shielding.
I fly Terran for the accents

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 06:31

Llama wrote:The arran would be close if it had guns and proper shielding.
We call its main gun, the Goner Stellar Converter.

Don't believe in Earth? They will spread your atoms across the sector :wink:

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: M0's: super-advanced Ships of untold power and Inginuity? Or Mega-Weapons of doom?

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 06:49

The X-Plorer wrote:...I've been asking myself this since I first heard of an M0. I wonder what everyone thinks of it.

Feel free to reply, Ladies and Gentlemen. :D
Another addition to an ad hoc naming convention that will only serve to make it even less sensible than it already is...

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 08:32

What makes an M0 an M0 is the spinning arm-thingies that you have to a dodge around to shoot the little pod-thingies somewhere on the surface of the ship.

No spinning arm-thingies or pod-thingies? pfft! It's not a real M0, then -- just an oversized M2. :D

Coupaholic
x3tc

Post by Coupaholic » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 08:53

I voted for the 'showcase' option, because for me an M0 would be something akin to the 'science vessels' you see in Star Trek games.

Unique ships crammed with the best technology available to that race, stuff that isn't available for everyone. I can see it being an offensive or defensive ship. It doesn't really need to be massive either, I can see it being the size of an M7 - as long as it looks fantastic and truly unique.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 12:18

A planet-killer. Not something that's meant to engage other ships.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 13:16

A battlecruiser. The flagship of the race, a symbol of culture and pride.
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 15:19

None of the above.

z. planet killer, aka deathstar

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 15:55

If you follow the original numbering system, an M0 is bigger than any other ship. The specific role is "planet killer", although it could arguably describe any sort of super sized, unique, command level ship.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 17:35

Gostec Security Corporation is proud to present the universes first M0 Class battlehip.Featuring duel core Titan class engines....

(Cough,Sir)

Damn it Jimmy I am in the middle of an important product anouncement.

Sorry boss,but we cant get 2 elastic bands big enough to stretch over 2 Titan Hulls.

Excuse me Audience,I will be right back.

Jimmy I want you to test drive the kestrels speed and responses,in the asteroid field.

Raize

Post by Raize » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 18:41

Option 4 - FUS RO DAH
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders,
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 19:31

Shootist wrote:None of the above.

z. planet killer, aka deathstar
That was the only function that any M0 in Egosoft games ever had.
Surprisingly, this poll option is missing while option 1 is even doubled up and rephrased in #4 and arguably even in #2.

Technically they were called "Battleships" in ingame conversations but wet navy terms have at best a tenuous connection to X ship classes.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”