Capped TL with PBG forge on board - Well, this is new (AP)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lazerius
x4

Capped TL with PBG forge on board - Well, this is new (AP)

Post by Lazerius » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 09:47

EDIT: I'm aware about the TL attempting to continue running replace factory script. That isn't what this thread is about.
--------

So tonight I decided it was time to head down Pirate Alley in my game (Maelstrom/etc) and take out some forges for hopefully a chance at a TL with an IBL or PBG forge on board.

I got lucky and a few hours later I found my mark. Quickly boarded and capped him.

Well, those of us who have been reading the forums for a while know about the pilot not wanting to give up on his orders to plant that station. This being my 1st time to get the TL with factory on board, I was expecting this, so just sent the ship back to my home sector til I fixed my rep and decided where I wanted to plop it.

After fixing my rep, I tried jumping to the same sector as the TL, and my game froze before I loaded in. Had to alt-ctrl-del out and restart. This time I went to the sector I planned to drop it in, and as soon as the TL loaded into sector, seta or not, same thing. The game freezes. The music kept playing, and I was SOL. After trying a few more things, I finally gave up on that approach and went back to a save (I luckily still had by this point), and things were looking up...

I changed to pilot the TL myself, I got it to the sector I wanted it (the unknown east of Legend's Home), dropped the station anywhere, than piloted it back to Legends home to sell.

Even though it showed me it sold (Not sure at this point if I got the money), I noticed a little while later I was getting a ship being attacked msg, and it was him! Well, I had my factory, and now have it attached to a complex (ready for hopefully more forges PBG/IBL forges to add to it over time), so I just let him die.

Anyways, has anybody else experienced this freezing/crashing experience before? I run on all high/very high settings, so tried setting them on lowest, but didn't stop the crash from happening.

I posted this in here rather than support cause I have my issue resolved as best I could, I was just curious if others have seen/heard of similar crashing issues to go along with the crazy script that we know about. 1st time I've had my game crash since reunion years ago. /shrug
Last edited by Lazerius on Thu, 19. Apr 12, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 12:08

You're slightly breaking a running script when you capture the TL so yes, the game reacts badly sometimes.

What you need to do to end things properly is allow the TL to complete it's mission once you've got the stolen fab placed where you want it so the procedure is to manually pilot the TL to the sector of your choice, drop the fab, then jump the TL back to near it's original destination and allow it to continue on its own.

The factory replacement script will pilot the TL to its destination and attempt to drop its non-existent cargo at which point the script exits gracefully.

The TL is now yours and will behave as any normal captured ship.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 12:15

It's an ancient bug.

The game should clear all the scripts whenever the ship is captured.
Where is it?

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 18:22

yeah I knew the script was an ancient bug. I just didn't think your game could lock up like this just from a TL running its script 'replace factory' script.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 21:04

nickallthat wrote:yeah I knew the script was an ancient bug. I just didn't think your game could lock up like this just from a TL running its script 'replace factory' script.
So you are saying the game would not lock up if you fly the TL yourself?
I am playing DiD, and can't risk a game lockup, as that would mean game over for me!!!!

I may try it after I am done with the DiD mode.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 21:35

@ nickallthat: I think that you are in effect personally creating the TL conflicting script lock-up bug initally described for NPC TLs placing stations here. It is apparently a high priority script issue that cannot be cleared by issuing the ship command 'none'.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Thu, 19. Apr 12, 22:04

VincentTH wrote:
nickallthat wrote:yeah I knew the script was an ancient bug. I just didn't think your game could lock up like this just from a TL running its script 'replace factory' script.
I am playing DiD, and can't risk a game lockup, as that would mean game over for me!!!!

yes, you risk a lockup or even a CTD and it does not depend whether you pilot it or not. The chances are not that high - I only got it 2 or 3 times out of ~12 factories I captured. Most of them actually happened when I was trying to sell those TLs after removing the factory. The safest way is to fly this TL yourself, jump it to the sector where you want this factory, deploy the factory, abandon the TL and let it do whatever it wants.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 20. Apr 12, 00:21

kurush wrote:
VincentTH wrote:

yes, you risk a lockup or even a CTD and it does not depend whether you pilot it or not. The chances are not that high - I only got it 2 or 3 times out of ~12 factories I captured. Most of them actually happened when I was trying to sell those TLs after removing the factory. The safest way is to fly this TL yourself, jump it to the sector where you want this factory, deploy the factory, abandon the TL and let it do whatever it wants.
So basically if I do this sequence, I should be OK:

Cap a TL with a station
Jump it to where I want the station deployed
Deploy the station
Jump the TL back to where I capped it
Let it finish its mission?

(I role play a Commonwealth DiD pilot, and would like to cap a TL carrying M/AM Warhead factory.)

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Fri, 20. Apr 12, 01:16

VincentTH wrote: So basically if I do this sequence, I should be OK:

Cap a TL with a station
Deploy the station

(I role play a Commonwealth DiD pilot, and would like to cap a TL carrying M/AM Warhead factory.)
I had less issues when I was piloting the TL during that jump, but still it is a bit of lottery. Don't blame me if your DID game CTDs on you, blame egosoft :)

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Fri, 20. Apr 12, 04:31

VincentTH wrote:
kurush wrote:
VincentTH wrote:

So basically if I do this sequence, I should be OK:

Cap a TL with a station
Deploy the station

Incorrect.

I had to pilot the TL myself for it to not lock up.

So I swapped some ecells and a jumpdrive to the TL, than hopped in it. I than flew the TL to the sector I wanted it dropped. I dropped it there, than went to the next sector (Legend's Home) and tried to sell it, but even though I clicked sell, it didn't, it just undocked itself.

At this point, I had no clue I even still owned it, so I don't have anymore info on it at this point.

But like it was said above, I expect this crash can happen, regardless of if you're flying it yourself or not, but I managed to get it to work for me by flying myself (I could instantly turn off the autopilot and it would obey, as opposed to leaving it to the computer, and it would keep ignoring my commands and go by its script.

IMO, with my recent bad luck with DID, I wouldn't even attempt this until you're out of DID mode. If the TL script is this buggy, I would wait until you turn off your DID mode before even trying (of course, I would probably turn off DID before I tried boarding anything myself, but that's my opinion, and you're subject to your own tears at your own risk :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”