Questions about mobile mining

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

simo98

Questions about mobile mining

Post by simo98 » Thu, 26. Apr 12, 14:27

Hi Guys, I'm planning on making a resource complex in Elenas Fortune, putting a mine on every 'roid and linking them all together. Since this will involve me towing crap around all day, I figured it would be much easier if I got rid of all the other debree first. So I fit out a few Demeter miners to go tear up the sector, but I'm a little confused as to which command is best to use.

Ideally I want them to pick up all the asteroids, and either sell them on their own or drop them off at a factory of mine where a CAG can sell off the excess if the chance pops up. The main thing I don't want them to do is blow up any of the asteroids capable of taking a mine.

There is "Mine and sell minerals", but that doesn't seem to let me pick a sector. I guess that just lets the freighter gallivant around the universe selling picking up asteroids and selling them willy nilly? Or does it only do it in the sector in which you start the command?

"Collect rocks in sector" seems promising, but doesn't seem to have the opportunity to sell automatically. Also, I'm not sure if this will just pick up the loose ones or break up some of the slightly bigger ones too. I assume it isn't going to go blowing up the asteroids which can take a mine.. hopefully.

And the other one is "Mine minerals". This one seems to make the most sense, but it also seems like it might get the miners to destroy the large asteroids, which is exactly what I don't want. I haven't given any of them a MDS for this reason, but I still don't want to lose an asteroid and never get it back.

If anyone can help me out here, that would be great thanks. I'm thoroughly confused.
-Eh, ill get around to it.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 26. Apr 12, 15:28

Miners will not destroy asteroids that appear on the map. (The only ones you can place mines on.) The only thing that can break those up are the player and the only way to completely and permanently destroy such an asteroid is to place a mine on it and then destroy it/order it to self-destruct, otherwise it will respawn after a few game days.

Added note: Putting mines on all those asteroids is going to be a waste of your resources and energy. It would be much better to set up a mobile mining operation and cost you far less in terms of startup and operating costs.

Mobile Mining Guide

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 26. Apr 12, 15:35

'Mine and trade' moves around the galaxy according to markets and sources and will harvest any type available and sellable.

'Collect Rocks' only collects the smallest size of rock and does not break any larger rocks. It stops still when full until emptied. It is useful for collecting broken up Nividium. It stays in sector and only goes to the nearest small rocks of what it can see with its fitted scanner.

'Mine Minerals' works on a pre-selected mineral from Ore, Silicon or Ice only. It will break larger rocks of that type that it can find with its scanner but will never break a full-size asteroid that a mine can be built on, even if with an MDS. For this reason remote mining/collecting does not need an MDS and a PAC is usually as good or better. When the remote miner is full it either unloads at a base you allocated at the start and then stops there or just stops completely in space. Setting 'report when command completed' is useful to know when this happens.

If you have heard of rocks respawning to give you an endless supply when mined or collected, that only works in X3TC and not in X3AP - since you didn't say which game you were playing. The Player can break full-size asteroids with an MDS or with a high yield missile such as Hornet. Spectre, etc. Smaller rocks break with any damage laser.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

simo98

Post by simo98 » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 00:49

Thanks guys. Looks like "Mine Minerals" is the one for me. Handy to know they won't unload and repeat automatically.
-Eh, ill get around to it.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”