How to calculate OOS combat?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Zaijka
x4

How to calculate OOS combat?

Post by Zaijka » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 18:58

Hi,

Can someone please show how to calculate OOS combat. I can't understand why a Q kills a Shrike loaded with 8IBL, 4Gauss, 4 FAA, 2HEPT in 100% of cases. Not even once, by mistake, a Shrike could win. Thanks in advance.

Typee
x3ap

Post by Typee » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 19:01

The fastest ship always fire first, with all its turret and weapon slots.

To win against a Q, you need a ship with a lot of shields, so he can take the first volley, then kill the Q.
Only a handful of M2 can do that, I'm not sure any M7 can.

Otherwise, you can use a M8, and the missile barrage command. Guaranteed Q removal.

Zaijka
x4

Post by Zaijka » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 19:07

Typee wrote:The fastest ship always fire first, with all its turret and weapon slots.

To win against a Q, you need a ship with a lot of shields, so he can take the first volley, then kill the Q.
Only a handful of M2 can do that, I'm not sure any M7 can.

Otherwise, you can use a M8, and the missile barrage command. Guaranteed Q removal.
What I see on the screen is a bit different. The first shot is almost equal for them both - about 10-15 % of shields. It is 3rd, 4th and 5th shots, where Q wins. Q seem to take 10-15% of shields more than the Shrike shown above at every hit. It almost looks like the Q shoots more frequent and makes more damage.

jkjklkl
x3ap

Post by jkjklkl » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 19:12

Ammo-based weapons are bugged OOS and don't fire. I thought it was only when the ammo ran out, but after some tests they seem to not work at all

Zaijka
x4

Post by Zaijka » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 19:23

jkjklkl wrote:Ammo-based weapons are bugged OOS and don't fire. I thought it was only when the ammo ran out, but after some tests they seem to not work at all
That, kind of, indeed looks like that. Thanks.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 19:29

Zaijka wrote: What I see on the screen is a bit different. The first shot is almost equal for them both - about 10-15 % of shields. It is 3rd, 4th and 5th shots, where Q wins. Q seem to take 10-15% of shields more than the Shrike shown above at every hit. It almost looks like the Q shoots more frequent and makes more damage.
Also keep in mind that the mechanics is different when you are watching the battle on the sector view and when you are not. If you are not watching it, it would be a single-shot battle in most cases. When you are watching it, they might be firing several shots before one of them dies. For a clean test of the true OOS behavior close the sector view and just wait for the message <Your ship XXX was destroyed in XXX by Xenon Q> in your log file :)

jkjklkl
x3ap

Post by jkjklkl » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 19:31

kurush wrote: Also keep in mind that the mechanics is different when you are watching the battle on the sector view and when you are not. If you are not watching it, it would be a single-shot battle in most cases. When you are watching it, they might be firing several shots before one of them dies. For a clean test of the true OOS behavior close the sector view and just wait for the message <Your ship XXX was destroyed in XXX by Xenon Q> in your log file :)
I was under the impression that viewing the sector map only shortened the time between "turns" from 30 seconds to 5

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 19:33

kurush wrote:Also keep in mind that the mechanics is different when you are watching the battle on the sector view and when you are not.
AFAIK, that is not true. (and I know pretty well)
Only the frequency of combat rounds increases for all participants while you watch.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Zaijka
x4

Post by Zaijka » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 19:38

kurush wrote:
Zaijka wrote: What I see on the screen is a bit different. The first shot is almost equal for them both - about 10-15 % of shields. It is 3rd, 4th and 5th shots, where Q wins. Q seem to take 10-15% of shields more than the Shrike shown above at every hit. It almost looks like the Q shoots more frequent and makes more damage.
Also keep in mind that the mechanics is different when you are watching the battle on the sector view and when you are not. If you are not watching it, it would be a single-shot battle in most cases. When you are watching it, they might be firing several shots before one of them dies. For a clean test of the true OOS behavior close the sector view and just wait for the message <Your ship XXX was destroyed in XXX by Xenon Q> in your log file :)
I can understand that. And I agree that the OOS combat is different. The thing that I don't understand is that both Q and Shrike must have equal shields and firepower, even considering that the Q has PPC on the sides - that is 8IBL + 4PPC for the Q versus 8IBL + 4Gauss for the Shrike. How in Hell the Q can produce 50% more damage over several shots?? The Shrike even has 4FAA more. This makes no sense at all.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 19:53

Zaijka wrote: I can understand that. And I agree that the OOS combat is different.
I was trying to highlight that there are also two types of OOS combat with distinctly different results: when you are watching it and when you are not. Not sure if I explained it OK. As I understand it, Q is faster than most M7, gets the first hit, almost always kills with it if you are not watching.

Zaijka
x4

Post by Zaijka » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 20:05

kurush wrote:
Zaijka wrote: I can understand that. And I agree that the OOS combat is different.
I was trying to highlight that there are also two types of OOS combat with distinctly different results: when you are watching it and when you are not. Not sure if I explained it OK. As I understand it, Q is faster than most M7, gets the first hit, almost always kills with it if you are not watching.
I was not arguing. Please, don't take it that way. Sorry. I, indeed, only tried to run that fight while watching the map. So, when I described the OOS fight, it was the one with the open map window. It almost felt like the game was shamelessly cheating :), because it just can't be that the Q would win without even a single defeat. I could be mistaken, of course, so I decided to ask.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 20:14

Just trying to clarify things for you :) My apologies if I somehow managed to sound argumentative without a slightest intent for this. I was once very surprised when I got distinctly different results for those two types of OOS combat. You might be able to tune your Shrike to win while you are watching, but it won't probably matter when you are not...

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 20:15

jkjklkl wrote:Ammo-based weapons are bugged OOS and don't fire. I thought it was only when the ammo ran out, but after some tests they seem to not work at all
Not in TC.
Ammo based gund do fire OOS but prevent energy weapons to do the same (even if ammo is left), thus the ship equiped with those only have a fraction of its power.
Right on commander !

Zaijka
x4

Post by Zaijka » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 20:19

Geek wrote:
Not in TC.
Ammo based gund do fire OOS but prevent energy weapons to do the same (even if ammo is left), thus the ship equiped with those only have a fraction of its power.
Do you mean that the eight frontal IBLs do not shoot when Gauss cannons are present?

p00fer
x4

Post by p00fer » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 21:00

that would be correct ^
-Aye, fly into sun!

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Fri, 27. Apr 12, 22:32

Zaijka wrote: Do you mean that the eight frontal IBLs do not shoot when Gauss cannons are present?
That is exactly what happens.
Right on commander !

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Sat, 28. Apr 12, 10:26

When present at all on ship, or equipped in a turret? Big Difference

So 1 GC in a turret can cause 7 IBL's in the same turret to not count in OOS? or causes no gun to count? Or if it's in the cargo hold, and not equipped still no guns count at all? Or did my drunken, tired brain digest that the wrong way? :D

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sat, 28. Apr 12, 11:02

Er, no. OOS there is no difference between main guns and turrets - every installed weapon adds up.
Right on commander !

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”