M7,m7m,m7c...???

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TTD
x4

M7,m7m,m7c...???

Post by TTD » Fri, 4. May 12, 21:10

Could someone be kind enough to explain to me what the different MY types are and which functions they perform best ?
:?
Maybe even suggest the best version of each for the task ?

Thanks in advance.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Fri, 4. May 12, 21:15

M7 - is a frigate - basically a regular ship that is bigger then a corvette and smaller then a destroyer - can perform anti-capital and/or anti-fighter duties

M7C - mini-carriers - with the exception of Panther and Griffon, they are weak in combat and are mainly a navigation and utility ship and should be kept out of heavy combat

M7M - a missile-boat; basically just a bigger and scarier M8, perfect for quickly eliminating enemies, and for providing anti-missile shield for allies, also the only ship class that can use boarding pods

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Fri, 4. May 12, 21:23

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would anyone like to suggest the best ship in each of these classes ?

I know the answer is somewhat subjective and can be biased towards styles of play,but I am curious,as I have little combat experience and thinking of doing a lot more in my next game...or even my current one,when I have all the rewards.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Fri, 4. May 12, 21:29

well M7's are quite well balanced so it is a tricky question :), there have been many best M7 threads and people disagree all the time :D, I personally like:

M7 - Shrike - large cargo-hold for missiles + can carry a few fighters + gauss cannons and Tiger - which behaves like a super-size fighter

M7C - well I'm of course extremely tempted to say Panther, but the thing is that the rest of the M7C are not balanced with respect to it - they are cheaper and a lot weaker, the leader amongst them is IMHO paranid Ariadne it can carry 1 TS/TP and has 24 docking ports total (the most in class)

M7M - Kraken/Cobra for boarding or Gannet if you just want to use it to kill stuff, since Gannet has the biggest cargo-hold, but is annoyingly slow

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Fri, 4. May 12, 21:40

Thanks again
:)

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Fri, 4. May 12, 21:50

This is all AP of course.

Panther Raider and Griffon Sentinel I believe are both classified as M7. They just have the ability to carry fighters.

According to Rogueys, the M7C's are:

Guppy
Ariadne
Cormorant
Maccana
Griffon Hauler (But I don't think I've ever seen this ship. Not purchasable, not Boardable.)

Correct me if I'm wrong.
All your Hyperion Vanguards are belong to us.

Max1045
x4

Post by Max1045 » Fri, 4. May 12, 23:22

:?

How do you have over 7000 posts and not know what an M7 is?

46_n_2
x3tc

Post by 46_n_2 » Fri, 4. May 12, 23:28

Max1045 wrote::?

How do you have over 7000 posts and not know what an M7 is?
cant u tell hes a gonner.... no battle experience :P

on topic as its been said the M7 class is well balanced the best ones IMO

M7: Demois high shields decent cargo and a hangar deck

M7M: Cobra for speed or Kraken for looks

M7C: Ariadne for the hangar bay and TS docking

you could practically throw a dart at a board with the names of the ships and be happy with the selection for these classes tho lol

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Fri, 4. May 12, 23:55

I believe TTD knows what an M7 is... :P
What he's saying is he's never really used them and would like the best ships and roles for each of the standard M7 types. Generally I'd make it 4 types actually, which I'd say are:

M7C - Frigate Anti-Capital Platform
M7F - Frigate Anti-Fighter Platform
M7D - Frigate Drone Carrier
M7M - Missile Frigate

With an important note being that while the main races each have on of the main 3 types, I'd split the standard M7s up into 2 groups as some are obviously useless against capitals and excell against fighters, such as the Cerberus. A race will, however, generally only have one or the other. :P
As for the other 2, well M7Ms are expensive and deadly. Think of them as a mobile heavy support platform, and M7Ds are much nimbler and smaller with M6-esque weaponry and shielding, generally more useful as back support and resupply in a fleet.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sat, 5. May 12, 01:00

Thanks Emp...

Yes I have used M7s , as you would know if you have read all my posts,
but there are these extra versions,particularly since AP.

I did both battle and trade in X2.
However I have mostly concentrated on trading in X3 .
---------------------------
@ 46_n_2

Well you only have to look at my avatar :lol:
------------------------------
And thanks to all for the more refined answers that are coming in.
These,and any more,will be helpful and welcome.

Max1045
x4

Post by Max1045 » Sat, 5. May 12, 01:54

TTD wrote: And thanks to all for the more refined answers that are coming in.
These,and any more,will be helpful and welcome.
Well, it really depends what you are looking for. If you need a really well rounded ship, but want to focus on anti capital, go with the Agamemnon. The Deimos is good too, just less focus on anti capital and with a fighter bay. If you want anti fighter, go with a Griffon. If you need flexibility, you can't go wrong with the Carrack. If you need combat capability and a mobile fighter base, go with the Panther.

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Sat, 5. May 12, 08:59

EmperorJon wrote:I believe TTD knows what an M7 is... :P
What he's saying is he's never really used them and would like the best ships and roles for each of the standard M7 types. Generally I'd make it 4 types actually, which I'd say are:

M7C - Frigate Anti-Capital Platform
M7F - Frigate Anti-Fighter Platform
M7D - Frigate Drone Carrier
M7M - Missile Frigate

With an important note being that while the main races each have on of the main 3 types, I'd split the standard M7s up into 2 groups as some are obviously useless against capitals and excell against fighters, such as the Cerberus. A race will, however, generally only have one or the other. :P
As for the other 2, well M7Ms are expensive and deadly. Think of them as a mobile heavy support platform, and M7Ds are much nimbler and smaller with M6-esque weaponry and shielding, generally more useful as back support and resupply in a fleet.

I do enjoy the breakdown, however I do feel the need to comment on 1 part. In Vanilla, what you call M7D....are they really any more Drone carrier's than many other ships?

In vanilla, they don't carry drones better than most other ships, other than they can launch/pickup more at a time (due to hangar bays, and nothing else really special.) In vanilla, they don't produce them, only carry them, same as any other ship. Does that make M1's Glorified Drone Carriers? :lol:

I joke, but potentially, these M7D's as you called them can be soooo much more than what you would classify them, and some may see them lacking in vanilla. Others may see them as a great opportunity!

By all definitions of an M7D, an Argon Griffin Sentinel would classify in this case, yet I use them as sector Fighter Defense, about 15 of them, each covering their own sector to counter squadrons of pirates. They have no drones (as is my choice), and they have no fighters (even though they have room for 9 fighters). They're not classifed as a carrier (technically an M7, not M7C), but at the same time, i guess that makes them an exception to the rule. So good, I've had 1 go 1v1 against a Xenon Q, with no shield damage before (I was as amazed as you). This being an exception to the rule, I'll move to another example.

There's also things such as the Ariadne, which, I believe by your definition, you'd consider an M7D. Well, as a drone carrier, perhaps the shielding and weapons would be much more appropriate. The drones that you purchase protect the ship from fighters and other ships. But in Vanilla, It doesn't produce Drones. What Is it than? Some may use it as a mid game mini carrier. Great at dropping off ships, launching the fighters and drones its purchased as defense. However, if you come from a trader standpoint, you generally don't want to send expensive fighters into combat for the sake of combat, and maybe only a few drones to either beat back some pirates, or escape the situation entirely. Well, this puppy can carry any XL Super Freighter you desire along with it. Suddenly, not only are you well protected with a main gun battery and 4 turret facings as protection, but you're now carrying along your Trading ship in the flight deck, jumping into the sector where it needs to go, cruising at speeds of 115 m/s (compared to the 80-85 Super Freighters might see), than launching your freighter to its destination, able to cover the approach in your M7C with 3-4 wings of heavily armed fighters, a compliment of drones, and a bad day for any pirate wings who decide to F*ck with you. :D

Well, if you want to call that JUST a drone carrier, be my guest, but in my next game start, I plan to give it a go as a Paranid trader, and this baby's gonna be my flagship, when my trading empire progresses to that point. Might even have to import 1 or 2 Kestrels from those Teladi business gents I do business with on occasion, in order to drop some recon Adv Sats, and occasional scan asteroids when a situation arises.

Now for MY ACTUAL situation with the M7C class (M7D if you prefer):

All that being said, from a standard all around combat view in my current game, Having access to any and every ship available in the universe (except of course for the 2 M2's I have yet to cap from the Xenon) the 1 Ariadne I do own is parked at my 'Parking' satellite in my home sector along with 4-5 other ships, collecting space dust, wishing it could see any engagement, just waiting for the day it'll get used. :lol:

Yes yes, Such a build up to such a disappointing end. I know EmperorJon in particular wasn't saying contrary to this, but I'm just saying to the OP, don't discount the smallest ship, as used in the right circumstances, any ship can POTENTIALLY becomes "The best ship ever" :wink:
All your Hyperion Vanguards are belong to us.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”