Skiron weapon loadout

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

zanex09
x3tc

Skiron weapon loadout

Post by zanex09 » Sat, 12. May 12, 18:03

Since at the time i am currently unable to purchase empc's or maml's from the terrans because i dont have the required rep, i decided that instead i would purchase a skiron and use that in the meantime.

I will probably be using it as a personal ship for a bit for missions and what not so i am going to use cigs in the main battery to prevent friendly fire. On the other turrets im not too sure what too use though, i already have hepts and cigs being made in my factory but im not entirely sure in hepts would be good to use.

Current weapon load out im thinking of is 8x cigs in main and 2x hept in side and rear turrets. Are hepts ok or is there a better choice for them.

Aside from the lasers whats a good set of missles to use? I have a complex producing mosquitos, wasps, silkworms and tomahawk heavys. Skiron cant use tomahawks so what would be a good replacement that i can throw into my complex to be made?

CuriosityKillsTheMADCat
x4

Post by CuriosityKillsTheMADCat » Sat, 12. May 12, 18:21

Sorry, no tipps on specific weapons from me, but you should have two weapon loadouts on bigger ships - one for fighting smaller enemies (e.g., M5-M3/M8) and one for fighting larger enemies (M6+). For example, using HEPTS in the turrets may be a good idea when fighting larger enemies, but hitting an M5 or M4 with them may be a little tricky - maybe you should use PRGs for that, etc.

MFG

CKTMC

PS: For the tomahawk missiles, get yourself an M8 bomber and have some fun :D .
Fähiger Pilot wie DU sein...
"When ships to sail the void between the stars have been invented, there will also be men who come forward to sail those ships."
Johannes Kepler, Somnium, 1634 A.D.

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Sat, 12. May 12, 18:29

HEPTs hit hard but have a relatively slow projectile, so it depends on what you plan on using them against. For fly swatting and missile defense I tend to use PACs or PRGs as they have a decent enough balance between speed and stopping power. PRGs might be the better choice, since they have a faster bullet and slightly longer range than the PAC.

As for missile loadouts it depends on what you're going after. For fighters I tend to use wasps or hurricanes against M5, silkworms against M4 and either thunderbolts, tempests or typhoons against M3s. Typhoons also work against bigger targets, other than that I tend to use hornets or firestorms against the big boys.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

zanex09
x3tc

Post by zanex09 » Sat, 12. May 12, 19:37

I like the hepts because of the damge outputs but i have noticed that hitting smaller targets can get a little difficult at times. I basically want the skiron to be able to handle anything from m5's upto m6+ or possibly m7's. If i put a prg with a hept on each of the turrets will it work or will it screw with the aiming of the turrets?

I dont want too much of a selection of missles onboard at once as im still a noob with missles and missle combat so id probably end up screwing up. I think i could handle 3 missle types at once, one for like m5/m4's, one for m3 and ts's if i feel a little piratey and one for m6 and up.

Correct me if im wrong but i assume silkworms can be used on the m5/m4's. Whats a good missile for m3's that has takes up the least amount of cargo space so i can fit more. For the m6 and up i can add a firestorm factory to my missle complex and be done with them

Prophet1
x4

Post by Prophet1 » Sat, 12. May 12, 19:53

M5's are only going to be a nuisance to a Skiron what with, what is it, 4 or 5 200 mj shields. Yes the HEPTs are slow, but the AI is more accurate firing than we are. They will miss a few times but will nail the little pests. Most pirate groups you encounter just aren't going to be dangerous enough to threaten you. Load up with wasps which are fast enough to catch most m5s. And if your fight rank is high enough to bring a carrack group on defend station missions, then you want to get the Griffon from Final Fury, or at least a Tiger. I put HEPTs in my Skirons but fly the Griffon. OOS the Skiron can have problems due to its low steer. It's ridiculous watching a sector map OOS and the Skiron goes toe to toe with a Duke's freighter and 15 minutes later it's still trying to knock it out.
No glory for you!

balistos
x4

Post by balistos » Sat, 12. May 12, 20:33

hi,

for m5/m4, use wasp. it's a quick swarm of 8 warheads each missile.

for m3/m6/m7, use typhoons. again, 8 warheads for each missile, so it's 8x30 000 damage = 240 000

wasp are easy to find, maybe build a few factories. build yourself a complex of typhoons (maybe 10 factories, or more) so that you could spam them without fear, or you can make profitsss when you sell them :)

don't go full CIG with the skiron, a least in TC, the energy drain is high ... in AP, i read m6 can sustain a higher energy consumption. if you play TC, i would set only 4 CIG in the main guns, and 4 EBC so that you could wait for the energy to reload while you shoot with an ammo based weapon.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sat, 12. May 12, 21:08

I have often use the Skiron as my personal ship.
As I am more a trader ,than a fighter, I found HEPTs were good enough for any trouble makers I came across. :)

Fattyfat

Post by Fattyfat » Sun, 13. May 12, 00:50

4x CIG in your main battery and 2x PRG in the rear turret is all that you need to worry about. (I prefer ISR's but since the Skiron won't mount them CIG is the only option of course).

After that, you need to work off of your play style. For me, I worry more about draining the generator than anything else when loading up a ship. For that reason I like to mix in ammo weapons (For the Skiron, MD's anywhere and EBC's in turrets are viable options. MD's are of course better for fighting smaller targets, EBC's are perfect for harder targets and slower ones.)

Don't forget that PRG's can be used all over this ship too, and they are pretty nasty weapons. Rear turrets these are a must, they are great at shooting down missiles. But they also are an alternative energy efficient weapon for adding some punch to your main battery.

All in all, you can't go wrong really, with 4x CIG and 2xPRG - everything else to suit your needs. If you find you are running out of energy with HEPT's installed in peripherals, drop to PRG's or even MD/EBC's.

Good luck!

kaluce
x4

Post by kaluce » Sun, 13. May 12, 03:22

In x3ap, I have 2 cigs on the front of my ship, and the rest of the slots filled with HEPTs, 2 PRGs on each side, and 2 mass drivers on the rear with plenty of ammo. The turrets are set for the Missile Defense command, and without using missiles with this loadout, I can take down a Xenon Q and it's patrol with the Skiron and make it out with only shield damage. using missiles with that on top of the weapons, it makes life easier.

The Mass drivers could probably be replaced by an energy chaingun, but it was the first thing I had available, and it's pretty good at swatting flies.

zanex09
x3tc

Post by zanex09 » Sun, 13. May 12, 07:18

Hi guys, thanks for all your valuable information it gives a bit to think upon. Thabks to all your wonderous answers i think i got only 1 question left. When the ai is using the side and rear turrets does i deplete the main batter energy or does each set of turrets have its own energy supply?

Alacard1
x4

Post by Alacard1 » Sun, 13. May 12, 09:34

For a personal Skiron, use 8xCIG on your main battery & 2xPRG in each of your turrets. If your target is too fast to hit with CIGs, then it is either irrelevant or it will be picked up by your PRGs, which will be able to hit your target. You can also carry Wasps/Hurricanes to deal with lighter adversaries.

In answer to your second question, yes, your auxiliary turrets will deplete your weapon energy.

The benefit of this setup is being able to deal with M7 class ships. You do not want to take hits from their main battery but you can take quite a few from their auxiliary turrets.

I would highly recommend you also carry 10xFighter Drones MkII and a few Typhoon missiles to deal with M7 class ships. I would also note that while Typhoons are more expensive than Thunderbolts and also less agile, the fact that they are swarm missiles (eight warheads) and do 30k damage per missile, it only takes 2~3 hitting an M3 to destroy the target. However, against an M7, 10 volleys can do 2Gj (2,000Mj) damage even if only 75% of them actually hit (the rest being destroyed by turrets). Potent weapon indeed.

Using a Skiron as a personal ship has one drawback and that is that you will always be tethered to a resupply ship (TM, TP or TS, I recommend TM). The Skiron just doesn't have the cargo space to deal with larger targets (then again, no purchasable M6 really does).

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Alacard1 on Sun, 13. May 12, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Sun, 13. May 12, 10:30

IMO:

I've found I PERSONALLY, without a doubt HATE CIG's in my personal ship, if I'm going against fighters.

They're great for OOS ships though. Solid damage, and solid medium/light capital ship weapon.

For a personal ship, IMO, I'd only equip them when facing M6 or bigger.
All your Hyperion Vanguards are belong to us.

Alacard1
x4

Post by Alacard1 » Sun, 13. May 12, 13:29

[ external image ]

As you can tell, I prefer the Paranid Heavy Nemesis over the OTAS Skiron. While not as heavily shielded, as fast or having as large a cargo bay as the Argon Skiron, the Heavy Nemesis does have a few distinct advantages.

It can carry Ion Shard Railguns which I believe to be superior weapons. It can also carry them in all weapon slots which is very nice. This alone makes it a superior OOS patrol ship as ISRs hit quite a bit harder than CIGS and the Heavy Nemesis carries 14 of them instead of the Skiron's 8xCIG.

Additionally, the Nemesis can overcome it's speed disadvantage with an Afterburner.

Finally, the Nemesis can carry a more exotic mix of weaponry.

I have included a comparison of the ISR, CIG and HEPT for you to glance at so you can make your own choice.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Sun, 13. May 12, 16:37

I tend to put PBG in all my Heavy Nem's turrets :twisted:

zanex09
x3tc

Post by zanex09 » Sun, 13. May 12, 16:42

I have been flying around paranid space and so far i can only find the nemesis not the heavy nemesis. So far i dont mind the cigs but i find they fire a little slowly. Im going to try and find a h.nemesis and equip is with some isr's, then ill try them both out and which ever one i like less can be sector patrol for my complexes.

Meanwhile i took the skiron to kha'ak sector 841.... That was a mistake, way to many little fighters. I got a few fighter dead but then i realized not only are there fighter but 3 corvettes showed up and while i was attacking 1 corvette i got blown up .... Sigh. During the few missions i did and my time in the kha'ak sector ive decided that i find the prgs dont have enough dps. Normally i like having more shields given my lack of combat knowledge of combat but i now want to try out these isr's given the picture they look like fun.

jkflipflop98
x4

Post by jkflipflop98 » Sun, 13. May 12, 20:27

When in doubt, send in the M2. It's the only way to be sure.

JackKiller2266

Post by JackKiller2266 » Sun, 13. May 12, 20:34

lol

zanex09
x3tc

Post by zanex09 » Sun, 13. May 12, 21:30

I havent aquired an m2 yet. However i have been thinking of getting a boreas lately. I also installed an faa forge into my weapons complex so i could probably get one now and be able to equip it fairly decently

Alacard1
x4

Post by Alacard1 » Mon, 14. May 12, 08:55

I would recommend you try an M7-class ship before you step up to a M2-class ship. I even have a recommendation for you.

[ external image ]
My "Heavy" personal ship

This ship is excellent for a personal ship as it can defeat any other ship in the game (yes, that includes the Boreas). Also, this ship can carry a small wing of fighters (6) which is useful for picking up various wares found after battle, carrying your personal M3+ and a few scouts for searching for enemies.

I would recommend you also carry 20~50 fighter drones (more for Mark I, less for Mark II) which will allow you to clear Xenon/Kha'ak/Pirate sectors alone (Take your time the on your first attempt.) Also, a good assortment of Typhoon, Hurricaine/Wasp and Thunderbolt/Silkworm missiles really round this ship out well.

Even after all the additional missiles are taken into account this ship can still carry 2,000 energy cells making it capable of jumping across the entire universe multiple times without refueling.

The Diemos is truly a "capitol" ship in every sense of the word, able to take a beating and keep on dishing out punishment. Multiple Xenon Q's? No problem. Lots of enemy fighters, not for long. The Diemos really is an awesome ship and my personal favorite.

One of the things you mentioned is that your Skiron got overwhelmed by a mix of corvettes and fighters. That's the problem with all of the M6-class ships, they simply cannot defeat fighters quickly enough and are not heavily enough shielded to ignore them. While your Skiron should have carried 8xCIGs in the front battery and 2xPRG in each of the three turrets, you can still be overwhelmed. I would recommend you re-attempt this mission with either more missiles (Typhoons for the corvettes to keep them busy) or a heavier ship like the Diemos.

Fattyfat

Post by Fattyfat » Mon, 14. May 12, 09:44

Have to agree about the Diemos. Best in class as far as I'm concerned. You can't go wrong with that one.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”