Hyperion or Heavy Centaur

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gosnell
x4

Hyperion or Heavy Centaur

Post by Gosnell » Tue, 15. May 12, 02:28

So I recently captured a Hyperion,now im debating whether or not to use it, or my Overtuned H.Centaur with a speed of 166.Albion Prelude

The Hyperion handles like a fighter,but its weapons loadout isnt ideal for boarding ops.It cant mount Ion Disrupters,or mass drivers,Thus I would have to swap ships forburning internal sentry guns ect,of my targets.

The Heavy Centaur,is a beauty, she is a little sluggish on turning,but is able to mount Ion Disrupters and mass drivers.I like the way she handles,but she aint great against fighters.

Whats your toughts lads?

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 15. May 12, 02:46

well, for a personal ship Hyperion is superior since it has huge cargo-bay and two docking ports, you could just dock a fighter with Ion-D's/MD's and use it to fry stuff

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 15. May 12, 02:58

Aesthetics are an overriding factor in ship choice for me, and the Heavy Centaur is prettier.

If you really like the Heavy Centaur and are willing to steal from the Argon, try to capture a Heavy Centaur Prototype.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Fattyfat

Post by Fattyfat » Tue, 15. May 12, 03:29

Hyperion is better for everything except boarding. If all you do is boarding operations, stick with a centaur variant, but otherwise just park it until you need to board something and use the Hyperion for everything else.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 15. May 12, 03:59

Indeed, go for the HCP over the base HC. Far superior maneuverability. Plus it's more awesome still.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

jkjklkl
x3ap

Post by jkjklkl » Tue, 15. May 12, 04:06

I would still go for the Hyperion over the HCP. No IonDs? So what?
Experienced marines can take ships even with the 3 anti-boarding extensions installed, and there are plenty of targets without the software if your marines are still green.

Reliku
x4

Post by Reliku » Tue, 15. May 12, 04:21

why not just train your marines to 100 and not worry about internal sentry lasers? or better yet cap the ship with the internal sentry laser intact?

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Tue, 15. May 12, 10:43

i vote Heavy Centaur.... for one reason and one reason only... EVERYONE USES THE HYPE...

yes the Hype is the "best" ship... but the HC is a nicer ship... its not too powerful, but its not weak... if you can find some pandora's then your jammin. im running in a Standard HC over tuned to 200m/s and a turn rate of 4.9rpm. (i took the standard model over the HCP purely on cargobay space.)
find me on Steam
check out Roguey's Wiki - still under development

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Tue, 15. May 12, 14:53

Too bad you wasted tunings on the Heavy Centaur.
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Tue, 15. May 12, 15:05

HCP, every time. The basic Heavy Centaur is ok, but the prototype is far, far better. Hyperion is good if you don't need to burn off ISL etc, but other than that I'd stick with the HCP :)

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Tue, 15. May 12, 15:44

It really is a tough choice,Im kinda attached to my Centaur,but my bail rate is low given im using Ion disrupters,The hyp could be good,but i dont like its turret weapons.

Right im going to try the hyp see what happens.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Tue, 15. May 12, 15:57

I have yet to see a HCP in Albion prelude,Are they still there?

DiArmada
x3tc

Post by DiArmada » Tue, 15. May 12, 15:57

(X3TC)
to make it even more difficult, how about a Skiron?
this weekend I bought one from OTAS and I prefer it over the H. Centaur.
it's a treat for the eye aswell IMO.

http://images.search.conduit.com/ImageP ... rt=0&pos=0

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Tue, 15. May 12, 16:02

God no,the thing turns like a Fiat Punto,I swear dogfighting isnt an option in a skiron.It does have a good front battery though.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Tue, 15. May 12, 18:50

Well that settles it,Ihave just tried the Hyperion.What a piece of flotsam.It is pathettic against fighters,its turrets are useless and it cant undock properly from a few stations. :evil: :evil: ,im heading off to Legends home to retrieve my Heavy Centaur "Boost".

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Tue, 15. May 12, 19:06

Lone Jedi wrote:Too bad you wasted tunings on the Heavy Centaur.
thats a matter of opinion... im actually happy i used them on my HC... i get better speed than any other corvette (SB being an exception obviously) got a fairly good punch and a bigger cargobay than the HCP (its my personal opinion that id rather have an extra 285 units of cargobay space over 250J/s recharge and 1kJ energy) in a single player game the ship is still fast enough to give me the advantage in a fight, if this was properly multiplayer id have picked differently potentially.
find me on Steam

natha
x4

Post by natha » Tue, 15. May 12, 19:35

Hmm, the biggest asset of Hyperion is its cargo-bay not its batteries (not that 8xISR is small punch). The ability to keep Thunderbolts, Tempests and Tornadoes/Hornets/Firestorms) and still have room for 1000+ energy cells and 2 fighters to do your smaller jobs (i have a Mamba Raider always docked) is what defines that ship.

jkjklkl
x3ap

Post by jkjklkl » Tue, 15. May 12, 19:38

GOSNELL wrote:It is pathettic against fighters
Good thing it has a higher turning rate than the Heavy Centaur, then. Where is this coming from?
GOSNELL wrote: its turrets are useless
How so?
GOSNELL wrote: and it cant undock properly from a few stations.
All you have to do is let the autopilot undock you and take over once you're clear of the station.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 15. May 12, 20:56

@natha: You forgot Wraiths.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Tue, 15. May 12, 21:38

jkjklkl wrote:
GOSNELL wrote:It is pathettic against fighters
Good thing it has a higher turning rate than the Heavy Centaur, then. Where is this coming from?
i think the point is that the Hypes turret Coverage has a gap between the front and back turrets about the same length as the HC. also the Hype is a far larger target so Manuverability is kind of negated on that fact.

yes its vastly superior hold is a good point. and yes i do think the Hype is a superior ship but the HC(P) is still a really good ship.
find me on Steam

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”