Best missile,s to use with Cobra?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

shea
x4

Best missile,s to use with Cobra?

Post by shea » Tue, 15. May 12, 21:56

Hi all i am looking to cap a xenon Q,i was just wondering which missile,s are the strongest to use with the panther?also would it be possible to capture the Q just with the panther to take its shields down or should i have another ship to help.one more question guys what is the best and easiest sector to cap a
Q,i am playing AP,cheers all
Life is a waste of time,time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/shea1980

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 15. May 12, 22:07

Since your topic title says Cobra**, I assume that's what you meant in your main post, too. In which case, you only have the three missile types that M7M's can use: Hammer Heavy Torpedo, Flail Barrage Missile, and Boarding Pod. You'll want all three on your Cobra. And yes, you can easily remove the shields, and hold them down, using the first two missile types. It just takes a bit of practice to get it right.

**The Panther is a normal M7, and thus can't launch boarding ops.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

natha
x4

Post by natha » Tue, 15. May 12, 22:24

Hmm. I have the feeling that you want the achievement. :)
Well this is a difficult one as you need at least 30, 5:star: marines for that. (and luck, else just double the number of marines).
Start practicing on lower difficulty targets and you can take the Q after you're more familiar with the procedure.
As Nanook mentioned:
No M7 (including Panther) can launch marines at all. Marines can be launched only from M6s and TPs; the M7M class can use boarding pods to do it more easily and safely.

shea
x4

Post by shea » Tue, 15. May 12, 23:05

Nanook wrote:Since your topic title says Cobra**, I assume that's what you meant in your main post, too. In which case, you only have the three missile types that M7M's can use: Hammer Heavy Torpedo, Flail Barrage Missile, and Boarding Pod. You'll want all three on your Cobra. And yes, you can easily remove the shields, and hold them down, using the first two missile types. It just takes a bit of practice to get it right.

**The Panther is a normal M7, and thus can't launch boarding ops.
Opp,s my mistake yes m8 im ment the cobra
Life is a waste of time,time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/shea1980

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 15. May 12, 23:29

Okay. I read two things from post 1. A) You want to use the Panther to hold the shields while the Cobra does boarding. B) You want to use the Cobra to hold down the shields.

A) Possible, but somewhat tricky. The Panther lacks some fine control, but has the shields to hold the attention of the target. The trick comes in having the Q facing both you and the boarding pods so that it doesn't have the missile defense turrets shooting them down.

B) A bit easier, but not a lot, mainly because the Q is faster than you are. Aim for the Q, and ensure you've got a 10-15km lead on it. Open up with a couple of individual launches of Flails, then barrage with enough Hammers to take out most of the shields. If you have to fire a few more manually, do so, then swap back and launch Flails one every three seconds.

The first couple of single fired Flails will turn the Q towards you. Then the Hammers will smash it in the face, and knock out most of the shields. Once that's done, fire one flail every second, until you see it within 10%. Then launch two-three in quick succession, and then one every two seconds to hold it. Once those two-three hit, launch marines, but DON'T STOP THE FLAIL BARRAGE. Once the marines are on board, then you can stop shooting. It's a fine line between holding the shields and damaging the hull.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Zonzo
x4

Post by Zonzo » Wed, 16. May 12, 23:54

Do you know that Q has dead zone, once you there, you can do what ever you like.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/82711811.jpg/

So tactics would be, get in to dead zone, match speed with Q, take shiled down with shield killers (Ion Pulse Generator as for an example) and keep shileds down.
Call in M7M and launch marines from missile frigate in boarding pods. That's it.

But best missile for any frigate probably is Firestorm, I never miss a chance have bit of laugh.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/78619420.jpg/
They never knew what hit them...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”