X3R - Free crystal SPP - Is it cheating or not? Vote please

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Is a Free crystal SPP considered a cheat or not?

Yes - Its a cheat
86%
No - Its just a huge solar panel to gether energy
14%

Total votes: 29

Kar
x3tc

X3R - Free crystal SPP - Is it cheating or not? Vote please

Post by Kar » Wed, 16. May 12, 01:36

Greetings,

I always use this script, so no crystals on my SPP's.

For me, a SPP is just a huge solar panel to gather energy from the sun.

Ok, some of you might say, "hey but where do you store that energy? thats why the dam thing produces batteries (Energy cells) and batteries are made from crystals"... hmmm what? where... :roll:

On the same way, I can say, "hey I make a complex and I use solar power to power my factories, so its a direct connection so I do not need the "batteries" (EC's) because the energy produced go straight to the complex.

and on...and on...and on.... to many ways of seeing this.

So give me your opinion, vote and leave a comment if you want.

Thank you :)
Kar

"Do, or do not! There is no try."
- Yoda, Jedi Master

My passions online | Best Space Games

Libelnon
x4

Post by Libelnon » Wed, 16. May 12, 01:52

I'm not sure on this one. Sure, the AI doesn't need them at their own stations, but they also don't have tons of TSs floating about to supply them. One dull link in the chain when the last crystal fab goes boom, and the entire local area'll shut down in the energy shortage. I think the AI stations only have that so that there isn't a complete lapse in production when the Crystal Fabs go quiet - for player stations, it prevents you from just sticking a SPP wherever there's a decent demand and creating money from nothing.
Sorry, were you expecting a witty one-liner?

CuriosityKillsTheMADCat
x4

Post by CuriosityKillsTheMADCat » Wed, 16. May 12, 01:55

I voted for "it is a cheat".

But i use the "LazCorp Crystal Free Powerplant V1.02" script (for TC) for the following reason: i do not want to clutter my complex sectors with additional factories - e.g., 50 microchips factories + 20 L "food" factories + CCKs + 10 Silicion Mines L + some SPPs XL are enough for my computer (per sector). If i think about adding more factories for the production of crystals to it... :(
I also use the script for all other SPP's i build :D (but i always pay the fee required by the script). In my last game I did not build SPP's in locations where it would not normally be possible to build one (i.e., dictated by the "local" silicon wafer supplies).

MFG

CKTMC
Fähiger Pilot wie DU sein...
"When ships to sail the void between the stars have been invented, there will also be men who come forward to sail those ships."
Johannes Kepler, Somnium, 1634 A.D.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Wed, 16. May 12, 02:29

Well, this change throws the economy balance out of the window. It is not necessary a cheat, it just deviates too far from the developer intent. There are no cheats in single-player game, just ways to have (or not to have) fun. If it ruins the game for you, it is a cheat. If not, enjoy.

OtterMan79
x4

Post by OtterMan79 » Wed, 16. May 12, 06:09

Silly question. It is, 100% without a doubt a cheat. However, if you're only using it for what you described (in a complex without selling any for transport away from the station) then I suppose it can at least be rationalized.

Of course, in the end... play how you want.

Fattyfat

Post by Fattyfat » Wed, 16. May 12, 06:15

Can't rationalize classifying anything in a single player game as "cheating". You can't take advantage of yourself. If it were multiplayer, that would be a different bag.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 16. May 12, 10:31

As far as im aware (Please correct me if I'm wrong) the Crystal Free SPP script does not decrease the number of produced Ecells.
In a self sufficient Ecell loop a large majority of the produced ecells will get used up by the adjoining facts.
If this had been thought about it wouldnt be a cheat.
Fattyfat wrote:Can't rationalize classifying anything in a single player game as "cheating". You can't take advantage of yourself. If it were multiplayer, that would be a different bag.
So god mode isnt a cheat if its single player?

NightPrince
x3ap

Post by NightPrince » Wed, 16. May 12, 12:02

Axeface wrote: So god mode isnt a cheat if its single player?
It is a cheat as much as any script or mod that adds content or changes mechanics is. Because isn't this what the god mode or the no-crystal-spp does? Modifying the experience in a way different than the developer's intent in order to benefit the player? And isn't that exactly what every script out there does? Because come on, you wouldn't download a script that wouldn't benefit you. Even by making things harder for you, it improves your experience.

At the end of the day it all comes down to this - improving your game experience. Pretty much what Kurush said. And if you prefer it easier and I prefer it harder, who am I to impose my views and call you a cheat just because you like to play YOUR game in a different way?

As far as I am concerned saving is as cheat as it gets, yet we all do it. And saving and reloading 8768976096743 times while boarding is at least as cheaty as "god mode".
-"Hey, is your date invitation still valid?"
-"Well yes, sure. Why?"
-"I just wanted to refuse again."

natha
x4

Post by natha » Wed, 16. May 12, 13:04

Since the game has that specific design in how things work, no matter what "realism" you can bring, this will be a cheat, since you alter the game mechanics. Same applies to every "workaround" people find to exploit things that may take time or effort or other things like the 6 HQs or something i've saw some days ago.
Obviously this is not cririsism, but my opinion. Everyone can play as he wishes.
I voted "cheat" but if you have fun ... just have fun and forget it altogether. Go >>>modified<<< with pride and don't bother much. :)

PS: Just ... don't overcome the "modified tag" and you too upload at UPLINK just like that. Maybe some players enjoy that specific comparison, don't ruin it for them. I saw a gamesave some days ago with 7 HQs and a specific number of stations. When i checked the UPLINK it was there. How seriously one can take that statistics? Its "advertized" cheating but still the person felt "ok" to upload it somewhere where others upload with different "game setup". Purely un-mature things, even tho i found it completely pointless for my fun-time while playing, i just don't like to forget that there are others around me who may bothered :P

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 16. May 12, 18:14

For me 'cheat' means circumvent game mechanics to gain an advantage. That includes mass reload while boarding, as does removing resources from SPPs. In fact, having SPPs that produce E-cells from thin air or space vacuum, is as much cheating as adding credits to your Account.

Having said that, anyone is free to ruin/improve their game experience the heck they want. :-)

MFG

Ketraar

CuriosityKillsTheMADCat
x4

Post by CuriosityKillsTheMADCat » Wed, 16. May 12, 18:30

"Having said that, anyone is free to ruin/improve their game experience the heck they want. "

Thank you! :D

MFG

CKTMC
Fähiger Pilot wie DU sein...
"When ships to sail the void between the stars have been invented, there will also be men who come forward to sail those ships."
Johannes Kepler, Somnium, 1634 A.D.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 16. May 12, 19:15

And as this is a scripting/modding question, it should've been posted in the S&M forum. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”