Modeling New Ships for X Rebirth.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DaMuncha
x4

Modeling New Ships for X Rebirth.

Post by DaMuncha » Wed, 30. May 12, 19:03

For a long while I've been working on a mod for Skyrim and I've done alot of work on it, but I'm getting quite sick of just modeling weapons and accessories so I'm thinking about making some space ships for X Rebirth.
But what I need to know is..

1. Poly count (How many polys should I use to make ships)
2. LOD (DO I need to make LOD models of the ships, and how many polys for each)
3. Texture resolution.
4. File type and size.
5. Will I need to make cockpit models for 1st person driving?
6. Anything else I need to know.

If you could provide me with these details I cna start work on maknig even more ships for the X universe.

Thx

Moar Kontent:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9700

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Wed, 30. May 12, 19:40

you will need to await the release first i'm afraid, if there was info it would be under a NDA lock anyhow :)
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Fri, 1. Jun 12, 04:10

Well how about giving me these details for making ships for X3?

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Fri, 1. Jun 12, 05:18

There's a fairly large amount of data about creating new ships in the sticky at the top.

Poly count's are kinda subjective, but a good rule of thumb is about 10K for fighters, 15K for M6 size ships, 20K for M7 and 35K for M1/2. If possibly keeping Fighters down to 5K or less is preferable as they are used in pretty high amounts ingame.

LOD's are needed. there are 3 levels and each are a large reduction (don't know the percentages though).

Texture resolutions used are between 1024x1024 and 2048x2048.

File types are .BOB for compressed and .BOD for uncompressed. Using X3 Editor 2 to compress and decompress. Also you'll need DBox 1.13 to work with the BOD files in 3DSMax 9 or higher and GMAX. DBox only works with decompressed BOD files NOT the compressed BOB files.

The game uses a HUD for most ships. Cockpit files are not necessary, but there are cockpit mods for some ships.

I don't have enough time to provide links to all things above, but most are in the stickies or easily googleable :)
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sat, 2. Jun 12, 15:11

I use Maya.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Sat, 2. Jun 12, 15:29

you can use Maya for modeling, but you have to export it to 3ds in order to texture it and create scene files.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 2. Jun 12, 20:11

for X3 at least...
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Treelor
x4

Post by Treelor » Sun, 3. Jun 12, 02:10

Gmax also works for import/export if you don't want to pay for 3DS.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”