Bizarre Question on SETA

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

NationalZombie
x3ap

Bizarre Question on SETA

Post by NationalZombie » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 16:25

We know the software has the possibility to "speed" up time outside your cockpit to make Intergalactic Travel faster, with all the Pro's and Con's.

Would it be safe to say that in a Role-playing sense that SETA would also be able to "Stop" time outside your ship so that you can get some shuteye without anyone knowing / being able to make "non-stop" trips to and fro stations so you can keep deadlines and maximize your workforce's trading ability (kind of like Hyper sleep but everyone else is frozen except you)

That is generally how i feel about the pause button.

What do you guys think?

Personally i would love an Anti-SETA that reduced time by say -500x That way mid fight during an Invasion of some sort i could go make myself Ham and Cheese toasties

Also if you could have Anti-SETA -1000x You could balance your age and the universe out, The way i see it is constant use of SETA would age you slower by 1000x the age of the universe, E,g you SETA 1000x for 365Days straight everyone else would be 1000 years older than you. (i know the fact your PC would explode if you did that and micro asteroids, pirates, Xenon and what not would make you explode in probably less than a week of attempting this) my maths might be off ALOT

Anyway thanks for listening / reading this

Much Love

Mike
The Automaton Corp - Building Better Everything, Faster, Cheaper, Safer.

Unknnnnn
x3ap

Post by Unknnnnn » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 16:40

Singularity Engine Time Decelerator....

SETD... sounds horrible... My tongue has 3 fractures.

NationalZombie
x3ap

Post by NationalZombie » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 16:45

Unknnnnn wrote:SETD... sounds horrible... My tongue has 3 fractures.
I will say Anti-SETA sounds alot better :D

My current game ATM my mercury that I'm sitting in got pretty banged up by some pirates, so i don't have SETA anymore took me ages of hopping in and out of my mercury to repair the ship.. I don't have the creditsss to repair at Shipyard or buy a SETA ATM, so I'm flying like a snail but I'm enjoying it still, going to wait till i have about 50k of credits before i get another one.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 16:52

You know that you can actually REPAIR your ship by using the repair laser ? It takes a couple if minutes for a freighter, but it is free :)

@Unknnnnn: "My tongue has 3 fractures" - nice one, but hilarious from a person with a quintuple n in its nick :mrgreen:

NationalZombie
x3ap

Post by NationalZombie » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 16:58

I'm pretty early in game ATM 3 hours? so i only have my Space Suit laser which i was using... not fun luckily some Argon Patrol people saved me from becoming space dust

Unknnnnn
x3ap

Post by Unknnnnn » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 16:59

zazie wrote:You know that you can actually REPAIR your ship by using the repair laser ? It takes a couple if minutes for a freighter, but it is free :)

@Unknnnnn: "My tongue has 3 fractures" - nice one, but hilarious from a person with a quintuple n in its nick :mrgreen:

Don't be a smartass! I never mentioned how I got the previous 2 ;)

NationalZombie wrote:I'm pretty early in game ATM 3 hours? so i only have my Space Suit laser which i was using... not fun luckily some Argon Patrol people saved me from becoming space dust

I'm 37 hours in and I still have harmless 0% rank :S

Kajar
x4

Re: Bizarre Question on SETA

Post by Kajar » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 17:10

NationalZombie wrote:..."speed" up time outside your cockpit...
Actually i believe it is the complete opposite. the SETA slows down the inside of your ship, so everything happening outside appears to be faster.

If the SETA would speed up everything that is outside.... uhh... a tiny machine, costing 262 credits able to speed up everything but the ship it is installed on sounds pretty weird.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 17:10

"Personally i would love an Anti-SETA that reduced time by say -500x That way mid fight during an Invasion of some sort i could go make myself Ham and Cheese toasties."

Hey, I have found something very similar to one of those SETDs/Anti-SETAs - it seems to be by default on my Pause key.

"Also if you could have Anti-SETA -1000x You could balance your age and the universe out, The way i see it is constant use of SETA would age you slower by 1000x the age of the universe, E,g you SETA 1000x for 365Days straight everyone else would be 1000 years older than you."

You also seem to have missed the effect of SETA. It speeds up the perception of time rather than time itself. Think of it as a device that makes your brain run slower so that everything else (including your ship) seems to move faster just to prevent boredom setting in. There is no time difference at all with the rest of the Universe. Check the mission timer countdown speed during a mission if you don't believe that: - on SETA the time left for the mission reduces faster too.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Mon, 4. Jun 12, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

NationalZombie
x3ap

Post by NationalZombie » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 17:11

Unknnnnn wrote:I'm 37 hours in and I still have harmless 0% rank :S
I won't have a Combat rank until i have my Wheat Complex at minimum,

I generally prefer having at least my HEPT, PRG, and 25MJ shield complex before i get my first Nova! which is going to take ages to because of my BOO BOO i had with my SETA blowing up,

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 17:35

NationalZombie wrote:I'm pretty early in game ATM 3 hours? so i only have my Space Suit laser which i was using... not fun luckily some Argon Patrol people saved me from becoming space dust
get cosy with the Yaki.

They will protect you from everyone,if you find a nice place in their sector away from the gates. :D

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 23:12

That is a reasonable request as we often overwhelmed by enemy and short on time to decide. However i think that could be bigger cheat than the SETA itself.
For me the main purpose with SETA to cheat with electricity bills. ;p
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Mrreg
x3tc

Post by Mrreg » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 23:54

I could see an anti-SETA of sorts being handy in combat situations. Without pausing completely, perhaps you could speed up your brain, thus making events seem to unfold more slowly. That could allow more time to issue orders and manage a rapidly unfolding situation.

NationalZombie
x3ap

Post by NationalZombie » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 07:45

There is always narcotics lying about some abandoned pirate freighter

46_n_2
x3tc

Post by 46_n_2 » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 11:10

that wasnt abandoned just misplaced.....

*jumps in freighter and speeds off* (at 4 m/s)

:roll:

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 11:14

As Alan has explained, time is not altered, merely your perceptions. Imagine it as a sort of sleep, but really everything you see is just massively fast, and that's why you can't intervene until you decide to pull out of SETA; it's simply your brain taking in all the stuff that's happening in a massively compressed time.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Anti seta

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 6. Jun 12, 21:15

Problem with this suggestion is if it is available to your enemies youl be dead before you know it.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 6. Jun 12, 21:47

How so? If they used SETA, they'd be, in their own mind, going verrrrrry slow, too. I fail to understand how their perceived time speeding up would help them kill you. :?
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 6. Jun 12, 22:03

ever tried using seta while running from Kha'ak or Xenon as they fire at you ? :lol:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 6. Jun 12, 22:35

It all depends on your computer. Mine is powerful enough that I die almost instantly as their beams of death hit me. I do understand that on less capable machines, SETA causes lots of misses. Not on mine, though.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 6. Jun 12, 22:47

So it was the upgrade to my PC that caused it ?

I used to love using seta to get away and repair my shields.

Thought it was a new patch that came out about the same time as I upgraded. :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”