Can you attract spaceflies?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

niytiy

Can you attract spaceflies?

Post by niytiy » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 23:48

I heard most spaceflys come out after battles or if you sit in a area they will play around the egiens.

Is there a more affective way to attract them if so how so?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 4. Jun 12, 23:52

Not that I've found, or heard of.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

spaceflys

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 16:32

Of course dont wash too often

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 16:35

Hang around in asteroid fields, that seems to be the best place to find groups of spaceflies.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 17:13

Short answer, as in your OP stay still and hope they come to you rather than speed around looking for them. Asteroid and debris fields are good as said because you tend to slow down near them, also aftermaths of battles seem quite popular for finding them while you stooge around collecting loot or repairing things.

I don't think anything attracts them as such, just that you are more likely to spot or hear them if stopped or going slowly.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Jay_rod109
x3tc

Post by Jay_rod109 » Thu, 7. Jun 12, 07:19

I vaguely remember seeing a script that allowed you to spray nostrop oil to attract them. its the only way I've ever seen... sadly I've never caught a spacefly... didn't know I could until I saw/heard a few splatter on my cockpit. :roll:

Sabrina Bergin
xr

spaceflys

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Thu, 7. Jun 12, 07:50

There is a weapon that allows you to stun them and you can then collect them like cargo

cj-spartacus
x3ap

Post by cj-spartacus » Thu, 7. Jun 12, 08:39

Yes the Ion Disruptor. It's the only way I know of to catch them.
"Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

robalexhall
x3tc

Post by robalexhall » Thu, 7. Jun 12, 19:46

niytiy wrote:I heard most spaceflys come out after battles
Alan Phipps wrote: aftermaths of battles seem quite popular for finding them
Could it be that spaceflies are really the souls of dead space travellers?

The horror :o

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 7. Jun 12, 20:15

Or just attracted to the site of major energy discharges? - Nah, just coincidence in you going slow enough to be able to spot them I reckon.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

JackKiller2266

Post by JackKiller2266 » Thu, 7. Jun 12, 20:29

has anyone been attacked by spacefly's before?, because i was sitting in Pluto Scanning 'roids and some yellow things stated to crash into my ship, scared me half to death because the Terran's liked me...

Thrasher91604
x3tc

Post by Thrasher91604 » Fri, 8. Jun 12, 00:21

After many many hours of play, I don't think I've ever seen a spacefly. Can they be distinguished from space dust? I thought they were a myth. ;)

Mrreg
x3tc

Post by Mrreg » Fri, 8. Jun 12, 02:04

I've seen them. They're quick moving small yellow lights that sometimes dash across your field of view if you're sitting still. Have you ever been idling in a sector and your ship was shaking slightly and you hear a squishing sound? I think that's them ramming your ship until they splat.

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Fri, 8. Jun 12, 17:59

A spacefly ramming you tends to be more like the 'dong' sound when any other ship crashes into you rather than an actual splat, unfortunately. :lol: IIRC, spaceflies will follow you around everywhere but are quite slow, so stopping or just being in a larger battleship should let them catch up. You use the Ion disruptor to stun them, then pick them up with a spacefly collector, but that's not really worth the 3000cr they bring in IMO.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 8. Jun 12, 19:26

Master of the Blade wrote:A spacefly ramming you tends to be more like the 'dong' sound when any other ship crashes into you rather than an actual splat, unfortunately....
What? Maybe your sound card needs 'cleaning'. :P I always get a SQUELCH type of sound when spacefiles hit my ship.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Fri, 8. Jun 12, 19:31

Thrasher91604 wrote:After many many hours of play, I don't think I've ever seen a spacefly
I see lots. Probably depends on how you play! They are most obvious when you're completely stationary! Which might explain why people think they usually turn up after battles - after a long battle people are fairly likely to sit around whilst sorting out their empire that they've been neglecting during the battle.

Possibly :p

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 8. Jun 12, 19:32

That, and managing the retrieval of all the floating loot. :wink:

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 8. Jun 12, 19:43

I've seen them a couple of times (both as collectable "wares" in the sector, and as a fairly straight line of tiny moving dots), but it's pretty rare that I'm moving slowly enough for them to be noticable. I've never seen one up close enough to pick out any detail.

I would assume that one's scatted remains might attract them, but I also suspect that I wouldn't notice if it did, at that point.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 8. Jun 12, 19:46

I've zapped and collected quite a few. One spacefly will power the Turbo Booster MK I for a full cycle. Two will do so for the Mk II booster. Spaceflies. Mmmmmm. :fg: :split:

Mrreg
x3tc

Post by Mrreg » Fri, 8. Jun 12, 21:21

So spaceflies are an energy source? I've never captured any and only had some in my cargo hold when I picked some up after a pirate dropped them when he exploded. I didn't know what they were yet, but found out they were illegal a few minutes later when a patrol scanned me and told me to drop my illegal goods.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”