AP cluster flak vs flak artillery array?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DrwHem
x4

AP cluster flak vs flak artillery array?

Post by DrwHem » Sat, 9. Jun 12, 23:35

what is the difference between these two? im trying to decide which to put on my cerberus when i buy it.

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Sat, 9. Jun 12, 23:44

The cluster flak fires an explosion of shards of steel at the enemy while the FAA is just explosive. IMO I would use the FAA over CFA as the CFA has a shorter range and never seems to do much damage and uses more laser energy while the FAA seems to tear small fighters apart within a couple of bursts.
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 01:39

I use CFA because against fighters it's similary effective (Honestly, FAA/CFA are both crippling against M5-M3 and M6) but it looks much cooler with all the explosions.

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 01:52

Dantrithor wrote:I use CFA because against fighters it's similary effective (Honestly, FAA/CFA are both crippling against M5-M3 and M6) but it looks much cooler with all the explosions.
Are you sure it's not your other turrets that are picking off the fighters and CFA isn't just delivering the killer blow? (Yeh! It does look pretty spectacular!)
As for M6 I don't let them get close enough for my flak to be of any use against them.
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

jkjklkl
x3ap

Post by jkjklkl » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 02:26

Coreblimey wrote:
Are you sure it's not your other turrets that are picking off the fighters and CFA isn't just delivering the killer blow?
On a capital ship, anything that isn't FAA, CFA, or SSC has a very low chance to hit an enemy fighter. CFA and FAA are very similar, and in my experience, it doesn't really matter shich one you use

Makoaman

Post by Makoaman » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 06:11

I Use FAAs cuz i think it is a bit easier it actually hit the target your aiming without getting everyone pissed off at you. CFAs have a bit of a larger affect area which is good unless there are friendly fighters nearby. this is also the problem with PSG the Shock wave is deadly and extends to point where its larger than the ship shooting it. While shooting out giant blue deadly mushroom is great it really pisses friendlies off, that is if they survive the first shot
Explore the universe, question everything.

Jay_rod109
x3tc

Post by Jay_rod109 » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 07:22

for FAA and CFA i tend to mix half and half. normally a horrible idea, but I figure they spead the shot out and cover a large enough area. they do pretty well together, and look pretty awesome with all turrets firing them at once.

Mrreg
x3tc

Post by Mrreg » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 08:42

I prefer FAAs because they're less prone to friendly fire and I find they seem to kill fighters a little faster for me. CFAs are fun too, but I've found their animation to be more graphics intensive. When a bunch of CFAs are going off, my frame rate seems to take a hit on a graphics card that otherwise runs all other situations in the game at 60fps. The problem seems most pronounced the first few volleys like it has to get the CFA shot loaded into memory or something.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 08:46

Coreblimey wrote:IMO I would use the FAA over CFA as the CFA has a shorter range and never seems to do much damage
Are you actually playing the fully-patched game? There were big problems with CFA doing no damage in the released game, but they fixed that in a patch. The damage dealt by the two weapons is not far off identical (12k dps for CFA, 12.8 for flak) and the difference in range is only 130m (1.98km compared to 2.11), so you shouldn't be seeing significant difference in performance between the two weapons. (Well, apart from the fact CFA has a slower speed of shot and therefore is maybe more prone to missing, but it would have to be a fast fighter indeed that can evade a shot travelling at more than 2km/sec!).

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 10:12

Only ever played AP 2.0. However in my own defense (somewhat feeble I know, but defense it is!), perhaps I didn't try the CFA for long enough, (they were actually salvage from a fight I was in). But when I found a couple of facts selling FAA at minimum cost I couldn't resist so bought some and swapped out my CFA. A bonus being that the CFA earned me a little more cash when I sold them. But I've been using FAA ever since. :)

uk.crow
x3tc

Post by uk.crow » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 10:56

Due to the near identical stats, i only ever base my opinion on their availability, which is normally FFA, i struggle to find CFA in reasonable quantities, before i set up factories to build them myself. But like others have said, there is no to little difference between them.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 13:02

A while ago I figured out what the exact differences are.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=240049
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 14:34

Coreblimey wrote: Are you sure it's not your other turrets that are picking off the fighters and CFA isn't just delivering the killer blow?
Quite so, given the fact I usually fly anti-fighter M7 or M2 with only flak weapons equipped, and rely on fighters and drones to attack anything from M7 to M1. (A personal preference)

Vayde
x3tc

Post by Vayde » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 18:36

Did I read somewhere that an Ion D was used in the same turret as a CFA to increase it's effective range, as the Ion D bounced between the bullet fragments?
Still life in the old dog yet...

Jay_rod109
x3tc

Post by Jay_rod109 » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 18:43

wow, thanks for the link Gazz. I think I'll be changing out my anti-fighter turrets now.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 18:51

Vayde wrote:Did I read somewhere that an Ion D was used in the same turret as a CFA to increase it's effective range, as the Ion D bounced between the bullet fragments?
The reason to mix lasers is that the turret will fire when any installed laser is in range.
If a laser hits targets beyond it's "listed" range due to bullet shape or mechanics, that's how you make the turret fire the laser although it's technically not in range.

Due to an offset between turret camera and actual turret(s), even a "normal" laser can have more range than the engine thinks.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ReggieReddog
x3

Post by ReggieReddog » Sun, 10. Jun 12, 21:01

I prefer FFA when I can get it, but I must say it is kind of fun to put CFA x 6 in the main guns of a Carrack, and put IBL x 4 in the left & right turrets targeting capitals.
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Also, I like to mix a PRG in my flak turrets to extend range a hair.
Last edited by ReggieReddog on Tue, 12. Jun 12, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 11. Jun 12, 21:18

Jay_rod109 wrote:wow, thanks for the link Gazz. I think I'll be changing out my anti-fighter turrets now.
Unfortunately, his linked thread is 3 years old and several patches out of date. I think he probably needs to redo it at some point to make it current. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 11. Jun 12, 22:16

Nanook wrote:Unfortunately, his linked thread is 3 years old and several patches out of date.
Are you saying the Cluster Flak Arrays work (effectively) now?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 11. Jun 12, 22:53

AFAIK, Flak and CF haven't changed any. Neither in weapon data nor bullet shape / effect.

The Flak's 20m AOE may have changed due to the bullet fix but it never had a useful application before. You needed a direct hit anyway so...
Last edited by Gazz on Mon, 11. Jun 12, 23:07, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”