Terran Weapons Question

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dunamis
x3tc

Terran Weapons Question

Post by Dunamis » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 06:58

Hey, I have a question about terran weapons. The game seems to think that Terrans are more advanced than the other races, but their weapons seem to have lower stats except for range? Are terran weapons worse? I'm sure I'm not understanding something.

Turnus
x4

Post by Turnus » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 07:10

Terran weapons are neutral weapons. They are designed to do equal damage from shields and hull (meaning if the hit 5 dmg to shields they will also hit 5 dmg to the hull) of course those numbers are made up as they are much higher, anyway my point being is that the weakest terran weapon is on par with AHEPTS but they can also be wielded by M5's making their m5s one of the strongest of all races firepower-wise. Any of the more experienced players can correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above.

so over all terran weapons are:

Medium Strength, Extremely Accurate, and rapid fire. Their ships also have pretty decent speed, they aren't super fast but they aren't overly slow either (at least the ones I've used) I don't very much like their fighter missiles.

As for the more advanced comment, remember they haven't had any major wars since the Teraformer wars several hundred (memory is fuzzy on the timeframe) while the commonwealth have the constant need to increas weapon strength and are al;ways on the bring of war.

Dunamis
x3tc

Post by Dunamis » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 07:25

Alright, I guess that makes sense. I think I very much like the idea of equal damage to hull and shields. They do seem to have a good deal more range. Also, what the heck is up with the fusion beam cannon? Am I reading that right? Is this vanilla, or do I have this available for buying because of some mods?

Also, on a semi-related note, what does it mean if I find a "prototype" or "experimental" weapon (or ship, for that matter)? Are those better?

Turnus
x4

Post by Turnus » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 08:44

I believe they are sorta like the "alpha" model, stronger but uses more energy (I haven't encountered any yet) i know prototype/enhanced ships are RE worthy when you get your PHQ. Edit: some ships have more shielding/weaponry/turrets than non proto/enhanced versions and so on.

As for the fusion beam cannon where is it? I haven't heard of it but It wouldn't surprise me to find a beam weapon somewhere on a non Kha'ak ship. I know the Goner Truelight Seeker can equip several beam weapons BUT the weapons themselves are not found in vanilla. (Probably planned on adding them but forgot/decided otherwise)

Nathancros

Post by Nathancros » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 08:53

Which game is this?

In TC everyone seems to complain bout how inaccurate the EMPC is, me personally i used it with a small wing of rapiers, its not good for dogfights, but its perfect for drivebys, charge in, each ship spray the target, then run back to me bringing the target back with them.

I dunno anything bout other games unfortunatly
Nullam et arcu vitae magna instabilitate omnia solvit

Am a recovering Addict of the CREATIVE FORUM.

Long live X3

Turnus
x4

Post by Turnus » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 09:21

Actually they work well in dogfights [provided you have maxed out rudders and a decent Terran M3 -Cutlass/ATF Equivalent-], excluding when up against M5s, they have the habit of dancing in and out of firing range. Pesky Xenon N's.

It simply comes down to how you pilot each ship, I've seen people own several M3s with a single Sabre. But I don't recommend it for lagy computers, when my comp has a lag-fit more than half of the shots that should hit miss.

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 09:23

I remember equipping my truelight with fusion beam cannons, but I think I was using a script. However there is another weapon that can be found in TC. The Phased Array Laser Cannon. This can be found when doing the Final Fury plot. here comes the spoiler:
Spoiler
Show
When the guy who you contact to start off the plot gets killed, (yes, sorry he does get killed and before he can buy you a drink), you are sent to the Khaak sector where he died to collect a data storage device he dropped. While in that sector thre are other wares floating about. One of these crates contains the PALCs if you can get them in time you will be able to install them in the Truelight. They can also be mounted in tiger and panther and I think also in a couple of Argon ships as well.
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

Dunamis
x3tc

Post by Dunamis » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 10:12

I found it at a terran weapons sellin place. Unfortunately, I'm now back at argon prime, and i'm not hauling all the way back there =)

it had like..... 200k damage? Something absurd like that.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 11:42

Also, on a semi-related note, what does it mean if I find a "prototype" or "experimental" weapon (or ship, for that matter)? Are those better?
These ,along with "enhanced" are usually tweaked in some way to give better performance for the specific job,but at a cost of lowering other stats.

ie more laser energy,less shields.
More gun mounts or turrets,less cargo space.

Whether one ship or gunnery is "better" than another really depends on the pilot.
I get on quite well with one set up,but I may not do so well with another setup which some pilots excels in.

"Horses for courses" as they say, but there are some excellent ships laying around in TC.

Turnus
x4

Post by Turnus » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 13:06

Dunamis wrote:I found it at a terran weapons sellin place. Unfortunately, I'm now back at argon prime, and i'm not hauling all the way back there =)

it had like..... 200k damage? Something absurd like that.
Uhhh, if it was at a production Fab, then you might want to buy it whil you can, if it was in a shipyard, then you can always go back later. Terran stations have the habit of being deleted by GoD but i think shipyards/OD/Supply depots are left untouched.

jkjklkl
x3ap

Post by jkjklkl » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 19:59

Turnus wrote: Uhhh, if it was at a production Fab, then you might want to buy it whil you can, if it was in a shipyard, then you can always go back later. Terran stations have the habit of being deleted by GoD but i think shipyards/OD/Supply depots are left untouched.
Trading Stations and EqDs aren't touched by GoD, but if they are for sale there then the station itself will consume the wares over time

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 20:06

IMO -

Terran weapons are very powerful. However, they all seem to have a slower velocity and a lower firing rate than similar Commonwealth weapons. That being said, when a Terran weapon hits something, it knows it has been hit! The power makes up, somewhat, for the lack of velocity and firing rates. MA/ML equipped ships have a distinct advantage in the Terran fleet over EMPC only vessels in that their firing rates are excellent.

The exceptions to this are the Aldrin "Experimental" versions of Terran weapons, which do not pack as much power as the more refined Terran versions.

Dunamis
x3tc

Post by Dunamis » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 09:21

Tried this thing out. It's a "maintain on target" damage type. It fires a constant beam that drains laser energy until it runs out. If you ever feel like putting every watt of your M2's laser generator into an enemy in 5 seconds flat, use this.

Main problem is that you are not going to hit anything smaller than a corvette with it, and that takes some doing as it is.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”