[AP]Buzzards and Pirate Buzzards

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Libelnon
x4

[AP]Buzzards and Pirate Buzzards

Post by Libelnon » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 08:58

Recently, as some may be aware, I've kind of fallen in love with the Teladi despite their flaws (they actually look decent, unlike the Paranid... ugh), and as such have been playing an all-Teladi DiD-esque game until I was killed earlier this week in a meeting with three PBG armed pirates in a dark alley when in my Kestrel. I'm considering playing another game in the same style, but restricting myself a little as I steel myself to writing a successful DiD based on them - I'm planning on basing it entirely within the Profit Guild, and as such will not enter or trade with the Boron or Argon. Which prevents me from taking the questlines in AP, which presents a little of a dilemma:

M4s are intended as the 'Interceptor' class, right? Right. I've been using them as such in my sector patrol squads: two M4s flanking an M6, to chase down the enemy and tie them up while the cavalry arrives. Would work perfectly well for a race such as the Paranid, right? Two Pericles flanking a Heavy Nemesis would make an ideal sector patrol.

Well, it doesn't quite work that way for the Teladi. You may as well consider the entire patrol the 'cavalry' because the default Buzzard was simply too slow for the role - as I discovered, when I found that pirate attacks in Company Pride would destroy two or three freighters before either of the patrols arrived to clean up the mess. I initially simply tried to destroy the Pirate Base, but my attempt just racked up a rather large bill when I was interrupted by a Carrack and lost 2 Ospreys in the attempt. So I let it slide for a while, until I came up with a solution:

Pirate Buzzards.

They are the perfect Teladi interceptor: strong enough to survive some light fire, fast enough to pin things down. Great! Cap one and blueprint it, job done. Fine for that game, but I'm not going to be able to get them in this. No contact with the argon = no HQ.

So that leaves me with few options: Use the Harrier, as it's faster, but it's way too fragile for an interception role; go on a capping spree and grab every single Pirate Buzzard I can get my claws on, or do I suck up to it and stick with Buzzard Vanguards?
Sorry, were you expecting a witty one-liner?

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 09:52

i'm more partial to the buzzard vanguard myself, it has a fantastic shield generator which drops the recharge time from 2 minutes 10 seconds to 60 seconds, which adds alot to their surviveability, and they are only 16 m/s slower, it also has 2 more front guns.

what do the argon have to do with the HQ? you interact with the boron to get it.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Libelnon
x4

Post by Libelnon » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 10:26

That's TC. Pretty sure it's the Teladi who you want (specifically NMMC) in AP.

But you have to complete the Argon plotline first.
Sorry, were you expecting a witty one-liner?

Mrreg
x3tc

Post by Mrreg » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 14:42

Not trying to drag this game into S&M territory, but if you're already modified or not opposed to it, there may be a way to start the HQ plot without doing the Albion plot. I don't know of one, but I don't know of that means you couldn't.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”