might be a stupid question but i dont know the answer [SOLVED]

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ConCorDian
x4

might be a stupid question but i dont know the answer [SOLVED]

Post by ConCorDian » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 23:41

i know where the game defaults to for saved games BUT is there anyways to change that directory? its just that ive now copied all my files and installed the NO-Steam exe to one of them and then used that for playing a modified game whilst keeping my normal Vanilla game in the steam directories.

issue im having is that the "Modified" game is wanting to save in the exact same location as the Unmodified, if i could change that directory then id be jamming, but i cant find any settings for that kind of thing.
Last edited by ConCorDian on Fri, 15. Jun 12, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
find me on Steam
check out Roguey's Wiki - still under development

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 23:46

I don't know if that can be changed. But something I did for another game was to set up a batch file (.bat) to copy the savefiles from one directory to another and then launch the chosen game via a menu. It's a simple but effective way of doing it (about 15? lines of commands). If you don't automate it, though, you will have to remember to backup your savegames back into your directory after exiting the game every time. I don't remember if you can make the new windows OS's to wait for an application to be terminated to run a command from a command-line...

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 00:08

Somewhere on this site is a link to a save manager. It's the answer to your prayers. If you do a search I'm sure you will find it. :)

EDIT:
Found it!
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... amemanager
Last edited by Coreblimey on Fri, 15. Jun 12, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 00:12

Coreblimey wrote:Somewhere on this site is a link to a save manager. It's the answer to your prayers. If you do a search I'm sure you will find it. :)
Check my sig :D

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 08:51

Since the saved games are stored in your own user profile, you could always set up another user and log in as that one if you want to play the modded game. Otherwise there's no way to change the savegame location, but you can use savegame managers as pointed out already.

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 09:00

pjknibbs wrote:Since the saved games are stored in your own user profile, you could always set up another user and log in as that one if you want to play the modded game.
That's a very handy tip also. I'll bear that in mind. Thanks. :)
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

Mrreg
x3tc

Post by Mrreg » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 09:17

My way has been to make a shortcut to the save game folder right by my shortcut to launch the game, so when I need to, I can just open the folder. Instead of having sub-folders to move between and risk accidentally overwriting any files with a careless click or drag, I keep a 0 compression .7z archive (you could use a .zip or .rar or whatnot as well) for each set of saved games. That means I have to do a little, but only a little work to pack and unpack each set of saves, but I won't be likely to wipe out any of my games.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 09:44

Before TC was released,I was playing Reunion.
I did just this...
, you could always set up another user and log in as that one
for each game-mod and each game I was running.

On boot-up , I had quite a list of user profiles to choose from :D

ConCorDian
x4

Post by ConCorDian » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 10:58

thanks for the advice folks, ive got the saved game manager on the computer already, just thought if i could set up one to save a one location and the other to save to location 2 it would save me the hastle of checking to make sure i have the correct set of saves loaded in. no matter its not like its a big deal, just hoped i could.

thanks again folks.
find me on Steam
check out Roguey's Wiki - still under development

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”