[TC] Autopilot disables when using turrets manually.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

r0bf
x4

[TC] Autopilot disables when using turrets manually.

Post by r0bf » Sat, 23. Jun 12, 10:53

This seems a bit odd and likely unintended, there is a rather old post here http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3278983 that mentions the same issue, but no resolution ever came to head. A moderator stated that he did not have this issue and would test it out, but never responded further. I've searched and cannot find any posts about it (or maybe I'm searching using the wrong terms) either way, this pretty much ruins my fun in capital ships and it makes no sense.

The only scripts I have installed are those of the most recent version of the bonus package. And my game is up to date using 3.2a.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this / a fix, because it really ruins the game for me with capital fights/transport defense.

I've tried it with and without the bonus content and it occurs, I have reinstalled multiple times fresh, still occurs.

I'm not including dxdiag because this isn't a graphical, audio, nor controller problem so I don't think it's necessary. If it is I'll happily add it, but I can't see a reason for it as this problem has been experienced on various different hardware setups and multiple pc's over the last few years.

I guess my main wonder is why some experience it and others do not.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 23. Jun 12, 14:18

Hi that was me back then. I wasn't a Moderator then but the format for all my old posts changed when I was asked to serve as one in Dec 2011.

My vanilla 3.2 X3TC got there via each incremental patch as it was issued. I use classic boresite control with the mouse.

I have found that if you are in a turret then changing mode from cursor follow to classic boresite does cancel autopilot on a move to position command, but not the reverse mode change. If I am already in classic mode and then issue an autopilot command from the turret (which you can via the ship command screen) then any amount of turret turning does not affect it.

Therefore I conclude that it is not the turret control that is doing it but the change of command mode that may be necessary to be able to turn the turret. I cannot really experiment with other stock updated versions of vanilla as I will not be reinstalling.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

r0bf
x4

Post by r0bf » Sat, 23. Jun 12, 14:32

Hrmmm what do you mean exactly by classic boresight method? I usually control my turret via my mouse (space bar->mouse aim) same as I pilot my ships as my joystick is... well not sure where it is, perhaps if I find it and the turret mode when using a joystick to control rather than mouse aim via space bar initiation it may work. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by classic boresight mode, but I suspect you mean simple control boresight, ie. just control from the stick, without enabling the mouse mode as I have to without my joystick here.

Whatever it is, I think it is an actual bug that ought be addressed (and is likely not a real big issue to fix since, although admittedly I've not looked at the scripting, I imagine all it would take is to simply disable manual control disabling of the script while in turret modes, I'm sure the scripting engine has handlers for such. Turret control, whatever method chosen, should NEVER disable primary autopilot. That makes absolute zero sense and is actually rather annoying and I don't feel there could be any intentional reasoning behind it, because I cannot find any plausible use for such an implementation. :).

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 23. Jun 12, 14:58

I don't use a joystick, just mouse and keyboard in classic mode.

r0bf
x4

Post by r0bf » Sat, 23. Jun 12, 17:46

ok but which is the classic mode for control, as the cursor is typical. This classic mode is enabled with space bar yes, to make mouse control motion based on reticle/sight offset from center? This is exactly what causes my auto pilot to disable.

Example:

Autopilot running;

In turret mode with spacebar / mouse aiming.

as long as my cursor remains center it does not fire, but if there is any motion to turret, it disables.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 23. Jun 12, 18:24

No, mine does not do that. Only pressing the spacebar (or right click as I have remapped it) to get to classic boresight (not cursor follow) mode breaks the autopilot but not turning or moving the turret aim point about - in my case. Maybe the default mode and control remapping in the profile make a difference - eg if multiple mapped uses for the same key(s) or input(s).

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I have no real idea why ours act differently apart from control mode/key mapping or the way in which we got to current version vanilla since last game restart. The latter can make differences in-game (eg: number of decks on ships) as I said in the linked thread.

r0bf
x4

Post by r0bf » Sat, 23. Jun 12, 23:16

Okay now I've figured out how it works somewhat. Still is problematic and a pain.

Shift-N is default classic flight mode (center bore sight, no cursor)

Left Ctrl and Right Ctrl are default bore sight key mapping.

Space is default key mapping for for cursor flight mode (cursor deviation from center bore sight determines axis rotations)

Right mouse is default setting for cursor aim fire (deviates slightly from center bore sight when aiming firing towards cursor reticle within a small radius around the central bore sight)

Enabling either mode Classic or Cursor modes disables autopilot when in turrets.

I mapped classic flight to center mouse button and classic boresight firing to right mouse. This method functioned as it should and as I would expect, IF and only if I enable the autopilot via hot keys after I am in that flight mode (which is somewhat problematic as I enjoy using the UI to quickly modify the autopilot's intent, as hot keys in these cases are often not as quick, since it is easier to choose things in the 3d/2d sector map than it is to hot key and scroll about trying to find specifics when there are a lot of ships and stations in the sector)

So yes it works as you suggest, however no matter what mapping I use enabling either flight mode disables the autopilot, even when using turrets. It works in both cases, classic and cursor flight modes, if I enable autopilot AFTER I switch to the flight mode. I cannot find any method that doesn't do this, so the only way I can is to enable the flight mode prior to enabling autopilot. This isn't very useful, although it is a step in the right direction. I don't know the scripting language, nor if the scripts handling the autopilot for the active player ship are open for viewing, but I'm going to look and try to determine what it is that mucks this up. Because I really want this fixed. If it is a simple fix I'll post it here and perhaps the devs can use it to figure out how to patch it and keep the game vanilla.

Edit: I've posted in the mod/scripting area, so perhaps they'll be able to help. I really want this fixed as it is a major hurdle in me enjoying the game as I really want to play it. One of my favorite parts from X3:R was the mission where you controlled the turret at the beginning as the ship ducked and dodged the incoming fighters.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 24. Jun 12, 10:10

That sounds like a good plan. Good luck.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”