X3AP: SQUASH blockading?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Quinch
xr

X3AP: SQUASH blockading?

Post by Quinch » Sun, 24. Jun 12, 06:59

Quick question - how do mines work in OOS? I'm thinking of putting up a couple of mine complexes {sidenote, what are the pros and cons of various mine types?} and dumping them at Xenon warpgates to take the edge off any incursions and/or score some cheap kills. Would that work?
I wasn't banished to the moon yesterday.

kgkosio
x4

Post by kgkosio » Sun, 24. Jun 12, 07:30

They don't work OOS due to lack of collusion detection. Mines will only fire when you are in sector.

Laser Towers will work, but you need a lot of them properly placed. They need to be the correct distance from the gate.
Fan of the save game manager by badger
Best Steam DiD death: Fly into a TL repeatatly while repairing it

Quinch
xr

Post by Quinch » Sun, 24. Jun 12, 08:10

"Collusion detection".

Now I'm imagining some kind of game routine that constantly checks if you somehow manage to get in cahoots with the Xenon/Khaak.

{sidenote, where the heck have they gone? I haven't seen any in AP yet}

But anyway, aww. I spoze lasertowers might work, though I'm not sure how they scale against larger craft. What would be the best method of placing them as well? My ejected cargo tends to go all over the place, I'm guessing because of collusion I mean collision detection.
I wasn't banished to the moon yesterday.

kgkosio
x4

Post by kgkosio » Sun, 24. Jun 12, 18:56

My that be a lesson to me. Always proof read, don't rely on spell checker.

If laser towers are deployed in a batch while you are in system, they will spread, but the coverage will overlap. 40-50 is usually sufficient to cover a gate, unless you are expecting a Xenon Q. they need to be placed where you end up when allowing autopilot to take you through the gate.

You will need to replenish the laser towers occasionally, since capital ships will destroy 1 or 2 LTs. Eventually they will punch a hole in the LT net.

Somewhere in the forum is a how to guide on computing the right distance for setting the LTs and how many to use based upon the target expected.
Fan of the save game manager by badger
Best Steam DiD death: Fly into a TL repeatatly while repairing it

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sun, 24. Jun 12, 19:10

iirc, SQUASH mines do technically work, but the way OOS position updates work means they're not very effective - it's every 30 seconds (or 5 seconds if you're watching on the sector map), so enemy ships may well skip over them.

LTs are similarly affected, but their larger range (and the fact enemies may stop to attack them) means they can still be useful.

EDIT: That's TC though - not sure if AP is still the same.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sun, 24. Jun 12, 21:13

Carlo the Curious wrote: EDIT: That's TC though - not sure if AP is still the same.
In AP Laser Towers are beasts. They were nerfed with a setup time for a reason. 50 LT / gate will stop anything coming through this gate, including K and J patrols and they eat Qs for breakfast :) Occasionally, you will lose one or two LT. Fortunately, they are much easier to set up than carriers or fighter wings.
Strategically placed 460 LTs seem to be holding a trade route across Xenon Sector 598 just fine, but I am too early in this experiment to estimate their survival ratio...

BlueSwede
x3tc

Post by BlueSwede » Sun, 24. Jun 12, 23:55

If you're not adverse to using unsigned scripts, I'd recommend using the Ring Of Fire script (for deploying lasertowers), if that's what you want to do ...

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Mon, 25. Jun 12, 01:05

A mine blockade in front of Xenon sectors is likely to kill more NPC traders trying to travel through Xenon space than actual Xenon, tbh... :shock:

As for the differences, they're all the same except for the names and the particular races you buy the factories from.

phantomrock2
x4

Like I Said The Other Day

Post by phantomrock2 » Mon, 30. Jan 17, 18:59

FOR X3AP only this protocol won't work in X3TC
In X3 TC if you are playing in Terran space you'll have to deploy Osakas by troublesome gates

Take a freighter and transfer the LTs to a TL M2 or M1

DO ALL OF THIS OOS: Then have that ship JUMP & FLY TO POSITION which would be right & I MEAN RIGHT by the GATE. EJECT the Laser Towers. YOU can have aa many want in the sector. However, what I do not like about this too much is that you cannot hide these from the property menu. Sure beats hav

Now on the other side of the troublesome gate entry point order two M2s to DEFEND POSITION while the laser towers come on line. What you will have to gamble with is that no enemy ships come through the gate while the LTs are building up the shields.

I have been doing this quite literally for 2 or more years in SEGARIS, Megnir Aldrin 2 & Althes. I would love to see the Xenon punch a hole in my Segaris LT blockade. & you know when you get those defend position missions all you'll have to do is sit back & watch the show but be careful I have seen some Xenon Ns get pass but simply have a M7 or a fully equipped carrier in the sector with a variety of fighters on it will mop up anything else that gets through. Then watch your race rank % gradually increase along with all the trading. Trust me... it works.
[" thank you "]

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”