[X3: AP] An Interesting Find...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Over-tuned Gamer

[X3: AP] An Interesting Find...

Post by Over-tuned Gamer » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 17:50

Have you ever seen one of those gorgeous planets in a sector and wanted to fly right up to it, only to be discouraged when you hear the "Danger, entering atmosphere" message?

I have found a planet that you can actually fly into. And what a PERFECT planet it is! Ready to fly into deep canyons filled with lava?

Get your Kestrel (or a fast moving ship), make sure your SETA goes to 1000%, grab some food to munch on, turn off the lights, kick back in your recline... errr... pilot seat, and head to Albion Delta, where the HQ is.

Once there, aim your ship towards that huge planet, max speed and hit SETA. It's about 4,200km away. Kick back and enjoy the ride. Awesome pics to be taken there.

EDIT: The surface of the planet is actually closer to 3,600km away.
Last edited by Over-tuned Gamer on Wed, 11. Jul 12, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

Jaycen_Aelis
x3tc

Post by Jaycen_Aelis » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 18:07

Dang...I don't have AP--is this sector in TC, too?
EDIT: Just perused a sector map. It's not :(
Argon Explorer

Over-tuned Gamer

Post by Over-tuned Gamer » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 18:11

No, it's Albion Prime only :(

Draekros
xr

Post by Draekros » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 02:29

This I will have to try tonight - as soon as I can tear myself away from complex building and ship acquisition via marines... :pirat:

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 13:24

Maybe this explains the ungodly lagginess of the Albion sectors? :lol:
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Merkadis

Post by Merkadis » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 13:41

Master of the Blade wrote:Maybe this explains the ungodly lagginess of the Albion sectors? :lol:
On old, rusty, comps? perhaps.
Personally i have no lags in there or anywhere.

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 13:46

Merkadis wrote:On old, rusty, comps? perhaps.
Personally i have no lags in there or anywhere.
Not really. Mine's a fairly new 2.8GHz i5 (quadcore, but that doesn't matter as X3 is single core) which is comfortably above the recommended performance. Plenty of people have complained about the Albion sectors being laggy. Having a fully (even partially is better than most of the X planets) modelled planet there seems a reasonable suspect as to a contributor.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Merkadis

Post by Merkadis » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 13:53

Ah perhaps i can tell you why it lags, it's coz of these damn construction kits, see.. if you connect too many stations in a pack, it starts to bleedin' lag like hell, i experienced that when i linked like 20 stations in a complex or when i made few complexes in a single sector.
When you look at the complex it gets especially bad.

kyoo
x4

Post by kyoo » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 14:16

If you're having trouble finding it just follow an unknown object.

ninth
xr

Post by ninth » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 14:17

Took me about an hour; but you can get to the planet. I did it in a hype because I'm "smart"

only downside is that it rotates way too fast to actually "fly" through anything; luckily it doesn't have actual collision detection so you can just chill inside the planet. should build my HQ there.

TheZapper
x4

Post by TheZapper » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 15:56

Hidden Planet + HQ + Jump Beacons = Evil fortress to take over the world.

/sign me up.

Over-tuned Gamer

Post by Over-tuned Gamer » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 17:43

Some interesting thoughts here. Putting the HQ right next to the surface of the planet would be awesome.

I'm guessing that the planet rotates about 1,000 km per hour, maybe more. I was running 600km per hour in the opposite direction, diving down into the canyons.

I checked out some other random planets and every time, I got the atmosphere warning. Still, I wonder if there are others.

ninth
xr

Post by ninth » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 19:30

Over-tuned Gamer wrote:Some interesting thoughts here. Putting the HQ right next to the surface of the planet would be awesome.

I'm guessing that the planet rotates about 1,000 km per hour, maybe more. I was running 600km per hour in the opposite direction, diving down into the canyons.

I checked out some other random planets and every time, I got the atmosphere warning. Still, I wonder if there are others.

Next to? Nono; IN the planet.

There is no collision value. you can stick the HQ right in the middle of the giant lava ball; far as I'm aware.

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 20:26

ninth wrote:There is no collision value. you can stick the HQ right in the middle of the giant lava ball; far as I'm aware.
Talking of giant lava balls, (I didn't know lava had balls, but there you go!), Has anyone ever flown down the tunnel in the Hub sector? When you get to the end your ship just keeps bumping into an invisible wall. But the planet you see (if it is a planet, it looks more like a dying sun) is unreachable. I would have loved it if that had been an undiscovered sector. You can also see it through the gaps in the walls of the HUB sector. :)
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

prastagus2
x4

Post by prastagus2 » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 22:18

It's the perfect place for your own HQ but I wouldn't do it since there is a chance that future patch might fix this.

werewolves?
x4

Post by werewolves? » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 23:58

TheZapper wrote:Hidden Planet + HQ + Jump Beacons = Evil fortress to take over the world.

/sign me up.
Yeah this, i'm going to take my ketral out there today, even if it is a ufo base will be worth the trip.

edit: Kind of hard to build a base out there because since it's off the map you can't use the cursor keys to place stations, need to put sats down then drop the stations on top of them. It's going to be my new special forces base.

Over-tuned Gamer

Post by Over-tuned Gamer » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 14:57

For those that are going to build the HQ out there, pay attention to the distance you are away from the middle of the sector.
I always target one of the stations in Albion Delta and watch how far from it I am.
At approx 3,600km away, you'll hit the surface of this planet.
At approx 4,290km away, you hit the edge of the sector...
If you keep going any further, your distance will suddenly show as a negative number.
Go any further than that and things will get weird.

So keep your HQ building at a distance of no more than say 4,000 km away to be safe.

Merkadis

Post by Merkadis » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 15:14

Build stuff near gates, thats what smart ppl do :)

ninth
xr

Post by ninth » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 15:34

Over-tuned Gamer wrote:For those that are going to build the HQ out there, pay attention to the distance you are away from the middle of the sector.
I always target one of the stations in Albion Delta and watch how far from it I am.
At approx 3,600km away, you'll hit the surface of this planet.
At approx 4,290km away, you hit the edge of the sector...
If you keep going any further, your distance will suddenly show as a negative number.
Go any further than that and things will get weird.

So keep your HQ building at a distance of no more than say 4,000 km away to be safe.
Yaaaay integer overflow...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”