How many of you are pirates/privateers?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you play any X3 games as a pirate or privateer

No, i prefer to be a goody-two-shoes
47%
I am a privateer, i only target certain races
45%
I am a pirate, i got no allies but the yaki/teladi/pirates
8%

Total votes: 53

Troubleshooter11
x4

How many of you are pirates/privateers?

Post by Troubleshooter11 » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 21:38

Alright you vacuumlubbers, time to spill the beans. How many of you play X3 (RE,TC,AP) as a pirate or privateer?

To clarify, a privateer is legally allowed to conduct raids on enemy merchant shipping. In AP that would be similiar to raiding Commonwealth ships while you stay friendly with Terran for selling your loot to them. Or only targetting Paranid ships while in neutral or Argon territory.

A true pirate would not have any 'allies' other than other pirates, the Yaki and perhaps the Teladi.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 21:52

Could do with an option for "I pirate when I can get away with it."

A true pirate has no allies at all, but makes/breaks alliances according to
what's useful to him at the time.

E.g pretend to like the yaki until you have a full set of IBLs then blow the
stuffing out of them. Ditto for all other races according to your needs.

46_n_2
x3tc

Post by 46_n_2 » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 21:57

i guess by those standards im a privateer...but the races i target change depending on my goals... there are no races that are 100% safe but i usually limit myself to keep docking rights (besides the terrans because f the terrans)

almost all my ships besides transports (ts tl tm) are caped or boarded. so when i wanted a Hype V i targeted the 'nids when i wanted my cobra i targeted the split etc.

edit: yea what brucewarren said lol

ninth
xr

Post by ninth » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 22:19

None of the above. There's really no category for the chaotic neutral among us.

"I'm going to actively trade/fight/do anything I want anywhere; which often results in positive rep building. But that's a pretty looking valhalla... Oh wait; it seems to be mine now"

Except pirates. I'm probably friendlier towards xenon than I am towards pirates. Not so much because they are pirates; but due to a combination of bad luck (they kept shooting at my complexes) and laziness (I don't care enough to build a positive rep; and "fix" the pirate problem by dropping tyr's in the offending sectors); My rep is always very low, and if someone shoots at me... I'll leave it at that I've built a drinking game around running over fighters in my hyp >;3

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 22:59

I'm Yaki, to the core. Even when I try not to I always end up working for them and destroying my rep with nigh on everybody else, including the pirates a lot of the time.

*shrug*

C'est la vie. :p Obviously I've played the big corporation building games where you befriend everybody, dominate the economy.....yeah. It gets boring really quick now :p Chaos and destruction are my only real exports these days ;)

Troubleshooter11
x4

Post by Troubleshooter11 » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 23:04

Kirlack wrote:I'm Yaki, to the core. Even when I try not to I always end up working for them and destroying my rep with nigh on everybody else, including the pirates a lot of the time.

*shrug*

C'est la vie. :p Obviously I've played the big corporation building games where you befriend everybody, dominate the economy.....yeah. It gets boring really quick now :p Chaos and destruction are my only real exports these days ;)
lol, i like how you think

samoja

Post by samoja » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 23:04

If every race had all factories then id maybe consider going privateer, but since i need all of them to get everything i want i am everyone's buddy, over pirates backs.

werewolves?
x4

Post by werewolves? » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 23:34

My Private Military Company is aligned to the Yaki, done about 100+ Station construction missions for them and run about 30 ST's in their sectors, creating a massive resource base and money source for my company.

This games been going for a while, I was friendly with everyone but at a point I self destructed all my commonwealth sector stations and withdrew to the unknown sectors and became non-aligned, we target anyone and anything if it will advance out interests - the Yaki are the only exception.

We still have a number of contracts with the Commonwealth like the use of our Gate Hub and a number of defended transit points in xenon space.

Jaycen_Aelis
x3tc

Post by Jaycen_Aelis » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 23:46

I'm playing it like an RPG :P Because I'm a nerd like that--whichever race I play I don't like my "traditional" foe--so as the Argon militia I'm usually hunting down paranid ships, but try to befriend everybody else--cept the pirates. :P Cuz I gotta start building my fleet somewhere, right? ;)
Argon Explorer

Troubleshooter11
x4

Post by Troubleshooter11 » Tue, 10. Jul 12, 23:51

Jaycen_Aelis wrote:I'm playing it like an RPG :P Because I'm a nerd like that--whichever race I play I don't like my "traditional" foe--so as the Argon militia I'm usually hunting down paranid ships, but try to befriend everybody else--cept the pirates. :P Cuz I gotta start building my fleet somewhere, right? ;)
That's alright, i suppose i'm a nerd aswell in that case. And i'm darn proud of it. :D

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 00:19

Where's the option 'All of the Above'? In various games, I do all those, and more. :mrgreen:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 00:23

My primary targets are the Paranid and Split. I'm also enemies with the Boron, though they really don't have much worth taking to be honest. I stay on the good side of Argon, since they have the OTAS and I don't want to bother making PRG forges. While the Teladi power me financially by buying all my weed from my 30x Bliss place supercomplex (I really have no idea where they put it all).

I've pirated the Terrans every now and then, but that's mostly to obtain more ammo for my personal Spitfyre's PMAMLs. Their fleet tends to have more capital ships and I don't really like using them. Then there's the Skirnir which is just plain scary.

I made nice with the Yaki not too long ago due to the HUGE amount of asteroids in their sectors. Plus, they've got a MASSIVE fleet in Senator's Badlands; Some fiddling got my Hub-based HQ with it's own defense fleet of THREE Akuma M2's plus change.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 00:29

Terran Privateer hitting Argon and Boron shipping in Paranid and Split space.
Also supplying Narcotics from Goner Territory and unleashing Pirate/Xenon/Yaki forces into Argon territory as the whim takes me (and the Hub allows...)
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 00:35

Ripskar wrote:... supplying Narcotics from Goner Territory...
I KNEW those bloody space hippies were up to something.

Stop laying around and make an Ozias for me to cap dammit!

Baratheon79
x3tc

Post by Baratheon79 » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 01:04

Guess I'd be considered a privateer. In my game, I've been targeting the Paranid (they aren't all that "superior" once you turn them into a cloud of vapor :twisted:). Not to the point where their ships and mine blow the crap out of each other on sight (yet), as I want to make sure I'm set on hornet missiles, and some of the other crap I can only get from them first. Just been engaging a few minor acts of piracy against them so far, but soon it'll be open season on anything with more than two eyes.

uk.crow
x3tc

Post by uk.crow » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 01:17

I'm a true pirate, why bother paying for anyone when i can just do it by knocking out shields and making pilots drop freight or jump ship? :twisted: Having completed the AP PHQ quest, my Fortune Hunter's PMC scuttled all stations in commonwealth space and now attack everyone except the teladi. Even other pirates aren't safe! My fleet of brigantines and galleons is the bane of pirate alley" :pirat:

Draekros
xr

Post by Draekros » Wed, 11. Jul 12, 02:25

ninth wrote:None of the above. There's really no category for the chaotic neutral among us.

"I'm going to actively trade/fight/do anything I want anywhere; which often results in positive rep building. But that's a pretty looking valhalla... Oh wait; it seems to be mine now"

I'll leave it at that I've built a drinking game around running over fighters in my hyp >;3
This is me also, except even the pirates are fond of me; even after I (permanently) borrow a galleon, brigantine or carack... :pirat:
Too many times I go: "Ooh! That ship looks all shiny! I don't seem to have one of those in my collection... Oh wait! Now I do...."

Mmm... an X3 Drinking Game sounds pretty lethal! :D

Aragosnat
x4

Post by Aragosnat » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 22:58

Draekros wrote:
ninth wrote:None of the above. There's really no category for the chaotic neutral among us.

I'll leave it at that I've built a drinking game around running over fighters in my hyp >;3
This is me also, except even the pirates are fond of me; even after I (permanently) borrow a galleon, brigantine or carack... :pirat:
Too many times I go: "Ooh! That ship looks all shiny! I don't seem to have one of those in my collection... Oh wait! Now I do...."

Mmm... an X3 Drinking Game sounds pretty lethal! :D
Maybe we should start setting up drinking rules for X3 then. Just hopefuly it will not be as brutal as the Star Wars one.
Chain Maille Armor
Profitzz
May this spacefly bother you.
[ external image ]
TC: 32+ Squidie (Steam DiD) deaths and counting since around June 18, 2012.

kyoo
x4

Post by kyoo » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 23:14

I've toyed with the idea of going hostile to the whole universe but it really limits your opportunities for trading and building complexes and I enjoy that part of the game as much as fighting. I usually just go hostile to argon and split because I like boron + paranid ships and teladi are too cool to shoot.

Merkadis

Post by Merkadis » Sat, 14. Jul 12, 18:23

It's all up to the mood, for pretty much everyone.
So the poll is pointless, imo. :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”