Wasps Missiles and Carrier fighters.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Echofinder
x3tc

Wasps Missiles and Carrier fighters.

Post by Echofinder » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 06:58

Because my ships still don't have enough dakka.

So I nicked a Wasp Missile Fab from the Split, and I'm wondering whether to supply my carrier Solanos with Wasps. I have a fair supply of Rastar Oil from capping Split TS's and energy/ore I have plenty of.

I'm also wondering if swapping my Solano's PRGs for MDs would be worthwhile.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 08:07

Sure why not. The Wasp is a fairly ineffective missile so using massive amounts of them shouldn't hurt anything. Hurricanes are decent for fighter usage as they tend to actually hit what they were fired at instead of orbiting until they self destruct.

Assuming all 8 warheads of a Wasp hit, it does 2k more damage than a Hurricane (6k vs 1k x 8). The Wasp is also faster at 560 m/s vs 471 m/s for the Hurricane. The Hurricane has a max range of 31km vs the Wasp at 18km

Either way they are not much use if firing at anything bigger than an M4 anyway so there is really no harm in using the Wasp for a light show.

werewolves?
x4

Post by werewolves? » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 08:28

Wings of solanos/wasp set to 50% fire rate is pretty funny, you just spam the enemy to death and helps with cap ships who are busy with the missiles.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 10:42

Wasps are actually quite useful.

They're not wildly accurate so whilst they're busy whirling about they tie up the missile defence turrets of whatever your Solanos are shooting at so your Solanos take less fire.

Also, forget MD. Ditch the PRG and get PAC instead, MUCH more effective.

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 16:48

Wasn't it you who pioneered the 'Wasp shotgun' tactic N-S? Fly in to about 200m, then launch them in a tight cluster. I love doing that. :D

Wasps on fighter wings is great, because it keeps enemies busy, either doing light but significant damage to fighters or confusing the hell out of capital turrets.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Merkadis

Post by Merkadis » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 17:35

make bunch of mid to heavy fighters and load them with wasps to the brim, then set in cmd 50% chance and then go ahead see what happens xD

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 13. Jul 12, 01:09

I love the Wasp Shotgun.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 13. Jul 12, 01:10

I love the Wasp Shotgun.

And I have carriers full of Pikes, mounting Wasps, and the survivability skyrocketed.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

WendigoX

Post by WendigoX » Fri, 13. Jul 12, 05:16

In X3:R, when I'm flying an M4 or M5, I love using wasps on M3s as the repeated staggered impacts keep throwing their aim off, letting me deal with their comrades in peace for cheap.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”