Kha'ak 'vette - what blind spot??

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Akdor 1154
x3ap

Kha'ak 'vette - what blind spot??

Post by Akdor 1154 » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 07:23

So a few things I've read reckon the Kha'ak M6 has a blind spot directly behind it.. but my mamba raider keeps getting ripped to shreds, even there (admittedly, more slowly than if I hang out directly in front of the thing). Ideas to take the thing out (damn patrol mission)?
Disregard this sentence.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 07:57

Thunderbolt or Tempest missiles? Hornets work pretty well if you have something that can use em.

devilsad
x3tc

Post by devilsad » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 12:15

Getting behind a Khaak M6 is even harder than getting behind one of their Destroyers. The blind spot is tiny and you have to practically ram the back of the ship to be 'safe', there are two turrets up and down and they're placed very close to the center line. A Mamba Raider doesn't really have the shields to take the inevitable hits, you'd be better off using a Nova Sentinel and hoping you get lucky. Get its attention with missiles, hide behind something big, then try to jump in behind it when it turns to avoid your 'shield'. Fighter drones can be a useful distraction if you have them.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 12:48

Assuming this is TC since I've not seen any live Khaak in AP.

Do you have any bigger ships, missiles or fighter drones? If not you
may have to just let the brute go. If I remember rightly those things
have Kyon emitters which you can't use strafe to avoid and a mamba
is pretty light on the shields in the first place.

On the other hand, are you the only friendly in the sector? Maybe you
could lure it under the guns of a passing M2?

Enough drones in the air will take anything down, but they cost and
you have to have enough cargo space to carry them all.

I don't like to use small ships to take down the big brutes for three reasons anyway
  • a) I'm too chicken
    b) Sometimes you don't have enough firepower to take their shields down
    faster than they regenerate.
    c) It't not worth the hassle. Spending ages trying to stay in a blind spot
    pecking away at their shields with your pea-shooter isn't enough fun

Merkadis

Post by Merkadis » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 14:03

MKII drones can tear anything to bits, guaranteed. 8)

IceDown
x4

Post by IceDown » Fri, 13. Jul 12, 18:44

I haven't been able to find it in AP yet but my favorite M3+ to take them down with was the Advanced Barracuda. It has enough firepower to take it down, enough shields to hold for a little, and enough speed to swing out and regen your shields and laser energy. I keep it busy with missiles when I'm not in it's laser range. I use a couple salvos of wasp missiles to protect the bigger missiles. MkII drones do come in handy as well, but I don't know if you could carry enough to bother it in this ship.

kratos1994
x4

Post by kratos1994 » Sat, 14. Jul 12, 18:38

The terran scimitar i use only has 2 of the 5 25MJ shields it can have but it is effective against Kha'ak corvettes. I think with max possible shields it would be a formidable weapon against them.

spudsman
x3tc

Post by spudsman » Sat, 14. Jul 12, 18:50

I wouldn't say it has a blind spot, but if you time your attack with other M4+ or better fighters, you stand a better chance of destroying the Kha'ak-vette before any one ship in the group is destroyed. I pulled this off flying a Mamba Vanguard and timing my attack to begin with that of two Terracorp Novas and a Buster.

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Kha'ak 'vette - what blind spot??

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 14. Jul 12, 21:11

Akdor 1154 wrote:So a few things I've read reckon the Kha'ak M6 has a blind spot directly behind it.. but my mamba raider keeps getting ripped to shreds, even there (admittedly, more slowly than if I hang out directly in front of the thing). Ideas to take the thing out (damn patrol mission)?
It does have a blind spot directly aft, but it's not a big one. One thing to note is that if you get outside of the blind spot, only one dorsal or ventral weapon's bank can fire at you. (Three hardpoints on each bank.)

Get the XModels Viewer http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0 You can view all the blind spots for all the ships. :D

(Not sure if that's the most current one, though. Check around.)

Akdor 1154
x3ap

Post by Akdor 1154 » Sun, 15. Jul 12, 20:03

Yeah, found myself a bit safer by pretending I'm on a Melbourne freeway and flying as far up his arse as I can get..
Also solved the "pecking away with my peashooter" problem with PBG PBG PBG PBG PBG PBG PBGs!!!
Thanks for the replies :)
Disregard this sentence.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”