Question: Weapon Type : Seeking Cannon

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

TonyEvans
x4

Question: Weapon Type : Seeking Cannon

Post by TonyEvans » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 08:21

Is there a weapon that seeks out targets once fired (like the target its being fired at or nearest target). I know about missiles... but those can be a pain to replace at time, especially with low or limited cash. But a "gun" that can fire limited-range seeking projectiles would be fantastic

Calgor Grim
x4

Post by Calgor Grim » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 09:09

In theory...could you potentially do like M7M ships and have a turret which fires missiles and then do a recursive script to add ware to ship? It might be a roundabout way of doing it but you'd be blasting missiles off which home in and resupply.

TonyEvans
x4

Post by TonyEvans » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 09:37

Calgor Grim wrote:In theory...could you potentially do like M7M ships and have a turret which fires missiles and then do a recursive script to add ware to ship? It might be a roundabout way of doing it but you'd be blasting missiles off which home in and resupply.

I'd actually prefer it be on M2/M1s, as a largest-ship-only weapon, but without depriving said ships of other "turret" weapons. M7Ms are unique in that they bring a huge pack of damage with minimal risk to themselves.

Putting this weapon, theoretically a 10km-range weapon, on an M1 would allow it the long-range protection of an M7M, but not give it the threat range of a standard missile boat. Likewise putting in on an M2 would give it the punch of an M7M, but still be very slow to move into range, as well as be more prone to M7Ms of the enemy. It's just giving larger ships a more limited version of the same type of weapons. I'd honestly set the damage at 1/2 to 1/3 the damage of the Hammer Heavy Torp.

Calgor Grim
x4

Post by Calgor Grim » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 21:09

TonyEvans wrote:I'd actually prefer it be on M2/M1s, as a largest-ship-only weapon, but without depriving said ships of other "turret" weapons. M7Ms are unique in that they bring a huge pack of damage with minimal risk to themselves.

Putting this weapon, theoretically a 10km-range weapon, on an M1 would allow it the long-range protection of an M7M, but not give it the threat range of a standard missile boat. Likewise putting in on an M2 would give it the punch of an M7M, but still be very slow to move into range, as well as be more prone to M7Ms of the enemy. It's just giving larger ships a more limited version of the same type of weapons. I'd honestly set the damage at 1/2 to 1/3 the damage of the Hammer Heavy Torp.
Primarily I'm referring to it having Turrets which only fire missiles and whether that would be a sufficient TShip modding basis to adapt it for a cap ship. I'm looking at a Skirnir now and in theory you COULD just make a single side of it (probably the lesser armed/used top and bottom guns?) to be a missile platform? Dunno, just chucking out ideas which may help good sir :)

If you're wanting a cap ship defence against M7M by the way, could probably use MARS or EMP pulse thingy. Goblins make nice decoys to close down missiles from pesky Skirnir.

TonyEvans
x4

Post by TonyEvans » Thu, 12. Jul 12, 21:16

You misunderstand, though I do see what you're saying.

I want a weapon that files seeking projectiles, but can still mount a concussion pulse generator, mass driver, photon pulse cannon, etc. Missile turrets are nice, but I'm looking for a gun turret, which would fire the seeker rounds as well as normal ammunition.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”