Mission / NPC sounds, voices, and movies

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Ameer Nuub
x3tc

Mission / NPC sounds, voices, and movies

Post by Ameer Nuub » Thu, 19. Jul 12, 13:45

I'm not a coder / modder; just tweak things like most on a user level.

I know where the files are and how to change them for the soundtrack and laser / ship sounds... my question is; are all NPC and mission voices and small, square, in-ship "movies" also located in a .cab file, and can you alter those as well in the same fashion?

Thanks!

Cavemonkey

Post by Cavemonkey » Fri, 20. Jul 12, 06:19

Those files are located under the "mov" folder in your X3TC directory. If you go to that directory, you should see a bunch of ".dat" files. These are actually mp3 and mp4 sounds and videos. Just change the file extensions to ".mp3" and they should play on Windows Media Player whether the selected file is a video or a sound (you might get a message but just close it). 00144 contains all the voices in X3TC and 00810 contains the intro video. Continue changing the extensions to ".mp3" until you find what you are looking for. Hope this helps!
You want something from me? Are you empty of the mind?

Ameer Nuub
x3tc

Post by Ameer Nuub » Fri, 20. Jul 12, 13:29

Cavemonkey wrote:Those files are located under the "mov" folder in your X3TC directory. If you go to that directory, you should see a bunch of ".dat" files. These are actually mp3 and mp4 sounds and videos. Just change the file extensions to ".mp3" and they should play on Windows Media Player whether the selected file is a video or a sound (you might get a message but just close it). 00144 contains all the voices in X3TC and 00810 contains the intro video. Continue changing the extensions to ".mp3" until you find what you are looking for. Hope this helps!

That's great! Yes it helps a bunch, thank you so much!

I used the X3 Editor 2 and was able to unpack the laser sounds from "s" but when I tried playing around with anything that said "movies" I could not get it to unpack or really do anything with them at all (I'm sure because I don't know what I'm doing).

So just change the file extension. Can they (movies, and voice acting) be replaced the same as "sounds" by the process of replacing them with custom files named with the original vanilla file's name (as long as the "movies" have all the same extensions, specs, and details) ??? Do you have to change the file extension back, or can you leave it the same and it still work? Will you need a certain program to change it back if you have to?

Ameer Nuub
x3tc

Post by Ameer Nuub » Sat, 21. Jul 12, 05:09

I've been able to open and play them by renaming the file extension... I suppose the only real questions left are whether I have to change the extension back to .dat, for the game to use them, and if so, do I use the same simple "renaming" procedure, or will I need to use some kind of software to convert them back to .dat.

It looks like the movie 00001 is movies of all game characters just strung together one right after the other... I'm guessing the engine, scripts, whatever just pulls whichever section (1:34 to 1:56 for example) of that single movie file when it's time for a character to say "lines". It looks like the same is true for the audio. If that is the case, then I'm guessing I could do as I was describing and replace the video with my own video, making sure to exactly match the durations (1:34 to 1:56 for example), and do the same with the audio, and have my own custom media???

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”