Tractor Beam Won't Work

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jmhoffer

Tractor Beam Won't Work

Post by jmhoffer » Sun, 22. Jul 12, 05:33

I have a tractor beam on my Mistral Freighter. I move into the turret, but no matter what I do it won't engage. What am I doing wrong?

Playing in TC, fully up to date.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 22. Jul 12, 05:40

According to this, your freighter should have enough juice to power it. Are you using it while seated in the turret? You can't fire the turret from the main pilot's station. Hit the F1 key until you cycle to the appropriate turret.

If that doesn't work, then maybe the Mistral doesn't have the weapons energy to charge it? Change over to something with a more robust weapons energy generator.

jmhoffer

Post by jmhoffer » Sun, 22. Jul 12, 05:41

I move into the right turret, the weapon icon is switch to the tractor beam. But no matter what I press, nothing happens. It is sitting at 100% but does absolutely nothing.

I've tried aiming it at two different stations that I own, and it doesn't work on either one. As far as I can tell, the Tractor Beam doesn't work at all.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Sun, 22. Jul 12, 05:48

You don't have enough weapon energy to use it. your ship has 850J it needs a min of 1000J to fire it.

TBH not sure why its able to be fitted on TSs at all as none can use it.

jmhoffer

Post by jmhoffer » Sun, 22. Jul 12, 05:51

Sinxar wrote:You don't have enough weapon energy to use it. your ship has 850J it needs a min of 1000J to fire it.

TBH not sure why its able to be fitted on TSs at all as none can use it.
Ah hell....

Thanks for that info, can't believe the game runs in such a way...

I don't suppose there's an NPC I can hire to drag my stations around, rather than waste a ton of cash on a Centaur...

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Sun, 22. Jul 12, 05:59

Unfortunately no :(
Another great addition would be station repair services.

anyway here is a thread that was around a while ago.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=325169

exact same thing basically. Posters recommending M6 or a TL.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 22. Jul 12, 07:30

Sinxar wrote: TBH not sure why its able to be fitted on TSs at all as none can use it.
Because it shares a weapon slot with the Mobile Drilling System, which *can* be used on TS class ships. Oh, and it's not true that none can use it, either--all variants of the Split Caiman have enough laser power to fire a tractor beam, although not all can actually mount it, obviously!

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 22. Jul 12, 13:28

Perhaps more insane, the TM's, which should be able to mount and use it, are either incapable of mounting or unable to fire it.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 22. Jul 12, 13:44

Well if it's TC, and you do enough of the plot you should get a
Spoiler
Show
free Vidar
It makes a good tow ship in my book. The hard part in my book has been done - getting hold of the tractor beam in the first place. Don't sell 'un.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Sun, 22. Jul 12, 14:46

pjknibbs wrote:
Sinxar wrote: TBH not sure why its able to be fitted on TSs at all as none can use it.
Because it shares a weapon slot with the Mobile Drilling System, which *can* be used on TS class ships. Oh, and it's not true that none can use it, either--all variants of the Split Caiman have enough laser power to fire a tractor beam, although not all can actually mount it, obviously!
Gotcha. Looks like the Split Caiman Miner can mount + use it.

Gold Dragon
x3tc

Post by Gold Dragon » Sun, 22. Jul 12, 22:07

It should also be noted that the Tractor Beam also shares the spot with the Repair Laser. That slot is the Utility Slot.
-- GD

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 22. Jul 12, 22:12

And no ship except the spacesuit can pack a repair laser, short of going S&M.

Hey does that mean a space suit ought to pack a tractor beam? :lol:
(That's a joke btw, The suit can *not* pack a tractor beam)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”