2.5 update. Saves Broken AGAIN.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Echofinder
x3tc

2.5 update. Saves Broken AGAIN.

Post by Echofinder » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 01:56

Saves and Quits in 2.1.

Attempts to start game 10 minutes later.

"Sorry, we can't start the game and you have no choice but to update the game despite your setting saying this game should never update itself again since it broke your saves last time."

Downloads 20MB update.

"Saves are corrupt lol."

Raeg.

My game is heavily modified, Lucike's script collection, CODEA, NPC bailing, Salvage Commands, etc.

This happened when the 2.1 update came, and now again with 2.5. I purposefully made sure I set my steam setting so this game would not automatically update since I was almost certain it would happen again.

Then this Argnu-Crap pop-up, "This game requires updating to play". So I had no choice but to update, and guess what? Broken saves.

Am I going to have to restart with every update? Especially knowing that 2.5's plot will almost definitely be buggy and require several other updates; which will also probably force me to restart each time.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 02:00

It's not up to Egosoft to prevent third party mods and scripts from updating the game. And it's also not up to Egosoft to prevent updates from happening. The first problem is between you and the mod creators and the second problem is between you and Steam. It's just how Steam works and Egosoft can't do a thing to prevent it. Sorry.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 02:08

You couldn't tell me that in the previous thread?

Eh whatever, time to fire up Cycrow's cheat pack again.

Is there a no-steam exe like they had for TC?

Da_Junka
x3tc

Post by Da_Junka » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 07:44

I have the official bonus pack installed, this won't break my saves will it?
~Intel i5 2500K ~ Nvidia GTX 670 ~ Z77 chipset ~ 16 gig Vengence ~Win 7 64bit ~

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 07:59

From what I hear, what causes the save incompatibility are mods that are applied as fake patches. The bonus pack is a bunch of scripts so it's not an issue.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 09:37

Da_Junka wrote:I have the official bonus pack installed, this won't break my saves will it?
No, it won't.

Nickster2423
x3tc

Saves Broken

Post by Nickster2423 » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 15:50

I only have the official bonus pack and all my saves are broken after steam patching to 2.5

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 15:52

@ Nickster2423: You may find that the update install is unfinished. It sometimes stops and forgets to restart later. Run the Steam verify gamefiles cache tool for X3AP and then stop and restart the Steam Client if nothing seems to be happening. Hope for a repair or update download.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Nickster2423
x3tc

Post by Nickster2423 » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 16:00

I did the above, steam found 1 item that failed to validate and downloaded it. I restarted steam and launched the game and all saves are still "corrupt"

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 16:12

@ Nickster2423: Verify again and see. You might still be unfinished. (Yes I know it is a long shot but it happens when the internet connection is occasionally unstable.)

The other possibility is that you have a corrupt gamefile that the update cannot delete or replace.

Make sure your UAC or other protection/AV software is not blocking the update.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Fri, 27. Jul 12, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

Nickster2423
x3tc

Post by Nickster2423 » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 16:16

It is now validating at 100% and not downloading anything, but all my saves are still crashing the game and error message saying save is corrupt. I have restarted computer and steam multiple times and re-validated with no luck.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 16:24

@ Nickster2423: You are 100% sure you have/had no old mods/scripts hanging about in there? Not even Mod Manager? Not even in X3TC rather than X3AP?

Delete the virtual store: open the folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore, locate the folder containing X3 files, and delete the entire folder.

Check the Steam location for full write access for UAC or any protection applications.

If worst comes to worst, manually delete the Steam X3TC 'addon' folder and X3AP.exe (only) and then verify X3AP to install it again over your pure vanilla X3TC.

If still no joy after that then upload a vanilla+BP save to a fileshare site so that we can have a look at it.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Fri, 27. Jul 12, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

edwardecl
x3tc

Post by edwardecl » Fri, 27. Jul 12, 01:11

Make a backup of 03.cat/dat remove (not disable) all fake patches via mod manager, copy 03.cat/dat back validate then reinstall fake patches from the original package files...

done :).

Wish steam would warn you about overwriting files rather than just doing as it pleases. Sadly fake patches are the only way of doing certain things, would be great if Egosoft would have put a different set of files to look for just for mods so this didn't happen, its been a problem for quite a while now.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 27. Jul 12, 13:13

@ edwardecl: I assume that is advice for the OP and not Nickster2423 who is playing vanilla.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”