[STEAM] Few questions X3R and beyond

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

donzi
x4

[STEAM] Few questions X3R and beyond

Post by donzi » Thu, 26. Jul 12, 15:25

I know egosoft after some time disables all or part of the tages through a future patch. Assume this is also the case with the TC and TCAP. I've not kept up very well with the X-Universe over the last few years.

Anyhow I know X2 from steam can be run without the need for the steam client. As the steam client has become bigger and more 'helpful' it's a shame we're not able to bypass steam for X3R and beyond -- in particular why, once tages is disabled why not also patch it so we don't need to load the steam client? ..Some other modern games in steam work equally well using the

Code: Select all

steam://rungameid/<xx..>
launch (loading the client) but also will go ahead and launch w/o loading steam if using a direct to .exe shortcut.

I recently fired up a new X3R game and apparently cured a appcrash by disabling the steam community overlay. As the steam client seems to get bigger and have more influence on games it seems like a reasonable idea to possibly pair up with the 1-2 yr post release tages change(s).

--

When browsing the egosoft store, it seems NA versions are exclusive to digital download. It's been ages since I have bought a boxed game.. Is buying X3R and later, retail boxed in the US still possible?

Although it'd be preferable IMO to patch out steam client launch reqs as above, I am unsure of the possibility to even obtain X3 series boxed as a possible solution in avoiding steam client during X3 play.

--

Any possibility of the mac version(s) being on steam?

--

The bonus (scripts) materials it seems are still optional on a fresh X3R steam install.

Granted I am concluding this by old X3R vs Fresh-Vanilla using a directory hash compare. There are a few that don't match but many not present in vanilla.

Bonus (EG: BalaGi, etc) scripts still remain optional installs across the board in steam versions?

PANIC98
x3ap

Post by PANIC98 » Thu, 26. Jul 12, 16:47

Just install a no-Steam crack. You legally own the game so I see no reason not to. I don't know if it is allowed to be talked about here though.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Thu, 26. Jul 12, 17:01

PANIC98 wrote:I don't know if it is allowed to be talked about here though.
It's not. A swift edit for your own safety is advised.
donizi wrote: in particular why, once tages is disabled why not also patch it so we don't need to load the steam client? ..Some other modern games in steam work equally well using the
Egosoft did patch out the Steam requirement for AP which is the most recent TC+ release.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Thu, 26. Jul 12, 21:18

Ah, I don't have AP yet.

Would be nice if X3R and X3TC would get the same treatment

.. or does TC and AP share the same .exe? Hence when I get AP my X3TC could also be steam-free? Even if that's true, which would be good, how about X3R egosoft? ;-)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 27. Jul 12, 01:34

PANIC98 wrote:Just install a no-Steam crack. You legally own the game so I see no reason not to. I don't know if it is allowed to be talked about here though.
Suggesting, or even discussing, game cracks, especially for X games, can get you a swift ban. Cracks are not legal, whether you own the game or not. Consider yourself warned!
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Fri, 27. Jul 12, 17:10

bump.. now that we've established the things not to suggest, anymore feedback would be great.

I did purchase the superbox so I can test my question regarding steam being patched out of AP and if that effects TC too.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 27. Jul 12, 19:09

X3AP and X3TC use different exe files, so using the X3AP NoSteam.exe will have no effect on X3TC. However, by using an X3TC exe file from one of the patches for the DVD version you are able to start the game without the Steam client. See this topic.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Fri, 27. Jul 12, 19:37

Thanks X2 et all.

I've ended up in both places I needed to be. Thanks.

Just for info if anyone interepted the 'patched steam out' (earliest response in thread) as I did, I just want to mention in conclusion the no-steam 'patch' isn't coming down the pipe from steam.. as of today anyhow.

The X3AP is via the 'bonus material' downloads for AP and the earlier X3TC is as X2-Illuminatus directed -- A somewhat creative manual patch.

FYI: for:

X3R "Reunion Update 2.0.02 -> 2.5" (smallest) seems to work just fine. Simply installing into a new directory for extraction of the .exe works fine if not wanting to unpack the installer some other way.

Trivia: sort of interesting to me anyhow..

X3R 2.5 : retail vs steam a mere ~10k exe size difference
X3TC 3.2 : ~365MiB difference in .exe

As expected, both cases the steam version is larger.

Elleron

Post by Elleron » Fri, 27. Jul 12, 20:42

It's not suprising Terran Conflict is larger because steamworks is linked. I originally bought it through Impulse before switching to the dark side to have unlockable achievements.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Fri, 27. Jul 12, 20:48

Duh. Make me feel like a moron will you. :oops:

I hadn't even thought about that. Shows how much I think / care about badges and such.

--

Since I am adding a new msg, will forgo editing my above post again.. lol

The other reason to desire steam detachment of X is that it avoid the 'get a life' remarks when game(s) have 10,000,000 hours total and 336 hr in he last 2 weeks figures. I glad steam hiccupped and reset my X3R time. lol down from approaching 5 diguts to 9.5 hrs. lol

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”