[X3AP] Stuck in Unknown Sector after unfocused jump?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fiora

[X3AP] Stuck in Unknown Sector after unfocused jump?

Post by Fiora » Sat, 28. Jul 12, 12:53

I just started the NMMC questline and reached the point where they give out the Unfocused Jumpdrive. They asked me to collect 75 Nividum, so I headed out to an Unknown Sector in my Thresher and mined a few hundred.

But when I try to come back using "return to known universe" (shift-J?), the jump simply... stops? There's no message or anything, it just reaches 100% charged and does nothing. I've tried jumping a few dozen times and restarted X3 too, but nothing seems to change.

Is there something I'm missing that I need to do to get out of this sector?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 28. Jul 12, 13:08

Energy cells? Have you transferred out your conventional jumpdrive?

Where did you jump to that sector precisely from, and can you think of any reason why the AI would not want you to jump back to that precise spot with such a big ship (ie is it likely to be congested with traffic or is it right next to an asteroid, gate, station or dock)?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Sat, 28. Jul 12, 17:20

You may have to revert to your last save.

Fiora

Post by Fiora » Sat, 28. Jul 12, 18:34

Alan Phipps wrote:Energy cells? Have you transferred out your conventional jumpdrive?

Where did you jump to that sector precisely from, and can you think of any reason why the AI would not want you to jump back to that precise spot with such a big ship (ie is it likely to be congested with traffic or is it right next to an asteroid, gate, station or dock)?
I have a few thousand energy cells, so I don't think that's it.

I jumped directly after undocking from the Jonferco Equipment Dock in Albion Beta... ack. I didn't realize it would try to put me back exactly where I left. I guess that could be it. There might not be enough room to jump back to that cramped spot in an M7.

I'll try reloading my save from before and jumping from a slightly less terrible place this time ^^;

Edit: I tried moving far away from the station, but it still doesn't seem to work. Could the problem be that Albion Beta doesn't have any jumpgates?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 28. Jul 12, 18:56

Yes any UFJD from a sector with no jumpgates or jump beacons is a one-way trip unfortunately. It makes some of the Terran sectors inadvisable as UFJD starting points too.

I would go back to that save and try the UFJD again from a 'normal' sector with a gate or beacon.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

devilsad
x3tc

Post by devilsad » Sat, 28. Jul 12, 19:00

I've seen one other post on this forum about this same problem, except it was in Terran space. Most likely the script that jumps you back to normal space relies on there being a gate or beacon to jump to, then positions you in-sector once you're there. So having no jumpable gate or beacon in your return sector causes the script to fail and you don't jump at all.

Edit: beaten to it :)

Fiora

Post by Fiora » Sat, 28. Jul 12, 19:01

Yup, confirmed, it works from a sector with a gate! I guess that's a little non-obvious, since the UFJD returns you to where you left from, not a gate or anything. It'd be nice if the jump drive at least warned before sending you off on a one-way trip!

Thanks a lot, I'll go collect the Nividum, and this time, I'll actually get it back to known space.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Sat, 28. Jul 12, 19:32

Fiora wrote:Yup, confirmed, it works from a sector with a gate! I guess that's a little non-obvious, since the UFJD returns you to where you left from, not a gate or anything. It'd be nice if the jump drive at least warned before sending you off on a one-way trip!

Thanks a lot, I'll go collect the Nividum, and this time, I'll actually get it back to known space.
Thanks for the workaround. I have seen this reported before, but I never got to the point that I got the UFJD in my DiD games, so I did not pay much attention, until recently. It would have been game over for me :-)

This is a showstopper that need to be addressed, IMHO

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”