[AP] Change to Mines (Weapon)?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Echofinder
x3tc

[AP] Change to Mines (Weapon)?

Post by Echofinder » Thu, 2. Aug 12, 07:12

So I looked in my message buffer, and apparently my navsat got asploded by an Ion mine in Great Trench OoS.

So three questions:

1. How did an immobile navsat somehow trigger an immobile ion mine?
2. Don't ion mines only deal shield damage?
3. NPCs can use mines?

Playbahnosh
x4

Re: [AP] Change to Mines (Weapon)?

Post by Playbahnosh » Thu, 2. Aug 12, 08:24

Echofinder wrote:So I looked in my message buffer, and apparently my navsat got asploded by an Ion mine in Great Trench OoS.

So three questions:

1. How did an immobile navsat somehow trigger an immobile ion mine?
2. Don't ion mines only deal shield damage?
3. NPCs can use mines?
This sounds strange, but theoretically possible. Maybe the mine WAS stationary but got aggravated by some other ship and started following it...right into your navsat. Or other ship dropped it near your navsat. The most stupid scenario I can think of: a freighter or some other ship was transporting ion mines when got attacked by pirates. Trader ejects mines to appease pirates: KERBLAM!

AFAIK NPCs can use mines, but I might be wrong. Also, mines deal all kinds of damage.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 2. Aug 12, 11:45

All exploding-type mines (Squash, Ion, M/AM, Tracker) are exactly the same in effect and use apart from name, cost and source. None follow targets or just attack shields. I also think that mines ejected as cargo or dropped as loot from NPC ships are just a ware container and are not active as mines.

The only scenarios I can think of are:

1. You flitted between OOS and IS and collision dection kicked in and caused either the mine or the Nav Sat to be relocated in range of each other.

2. You flitted between IS and OOS and the different mine proximity detection circumstances caused a mine event near your Nav Sat.

3. Most likely: Your Nav Sat was sitting in the damage radius but not the detection radius of the mine when another NPC ship came into detection range and detonated it.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”