X 3 Reunion first experience, trading and factory help

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Benzedrex

X 3 Reunion first experience, trading and factory help

Post by Benzedrex » Thu, 2. Aug 12, 19:24

Hey there, ive started a game on x3 and have only really focused on trading so far, ive used my mercury to scout out the surrounding systems and have done a few teade only gaining about 10k in overall profits
im shootibg to building a self sustaining complex and was hopeing if anyone had some tips on money making and complex setups

DrakenKin
x3tc

Post by DrakenKin » Thu, 2. Aug 12, 20:31

I am not an expert so take my advice with a grain of salt.

If I had to restart the game i would set complexes on asteroid belts for ore and silicon. Assign a ship to buy cells at best prices. And assign a ship to sell ore/silicon at best prices.

My experience with complexes was, as long as i had simple factories selling products i was making profit. As soon as i made a huge, closed loop complex things got out of hand and i started losing money. Even of the individual factories were profitable when they were not unified.

I think part of the reason is because once you have a complex, 90% of the products will become intermediary commodities and you can't customize their selling price anymore. Only the buying price... which is just... unfortunate. If you have excess intermediaries you have to choose between either wasting the extra production and not selling it, or risk opening trade for it (through assigning a ship to sell at best price) and running out. I haven't found a way to set a "minimum stock" to always keep and only sell the excess beyond that. And again, can't set the selling price.

As for raising the money to buy complexes, you can do between 40k and 80k profit per run with your mercury if you buy low and sell high. Your best bet at the start is to buy energy cells for 12-13 and sell for 18-19, or even better buy ore for around 50 and sell for 150-200.

Search youtube for X3 stock trade and you will find another quick way to make cash.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Thu, 2. Aug 12, 20:58

Use Commercial agent software after his is trained up (see the stickies) he will ensure your complex returns a handsome profit.

and dont forget you can stop intermediate product trading yourself till the cag is trained.
When traveling pause occasionally, look back and enjoy the moment again.

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Thu, 2. Aug 12, 23:02

point one is you may get ALL the official patches and the Bonus Pack.
After installation you can find an add-on readme file within the game folders which can teach you about all you need to know....

....\EGOSOFT\X3 Reunion\description\ReadMe (English).xml
I know that is million info you may have to proceed but believe me it worth every single second.... Even create a shortcut for this file right beside the X3 Reunion's icon.

There is no expert player of this game only peoples who are n' aren't on the right path to be one :D
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Thu, 2. Aug 12, 23:48

Aiming for a self-sustaining complex right off the bat might be something you want to reconsider. In the early game in particular, you can often buy basic materials like ore and food as cheaply or even cheaper than you could ever afford to produce them yourself, so complexes of tech factories -- like 1 mj shield fabs -- that are built around using cheap NPC resources and selling to Equipment Docks are highly profitable for a pretty low setup cost.

Later in the game, when you're already using all the low-cost local resources, then self-sustaining complexes become more sensible.

As for early trading, ore @ 50 credits is the cheapest thing you can fill your cargo hold with -- it costs half as much as a load of energy cells, even (and sells for twice the profit) -- and you can often find a sellers and buyers at a decent price.

Once you've got a bit more trading capital, keep an eye out for Silicon Wafers at near-minimum prices. Filling your cargo hold with Silicon Wafers @ 232 costs about the same as filling it with e-cells @ 12, and if you get lucky the Silicon can be over 3 times more profitable than energy per ship-load.

Energy cells are kind of the "trade of last resort" -- there's almost always a high demand, so you can always find a trade to make, but it's also the least profitable resource to trade (except for maybe Plankton).

Foods can theoretically be more profitable than minerals, but because they're so profitable you get a lot more competition from NPC traders so it can be hard to find good deals.

Paranid and Split foods are the most profitable to trade (buy low/sell high)

Teladi and Argon foods tend to be the most profitable to manufacture if you sell high (at least ~40% above average or so) -- and are also the cheapest to use in your factories if you buy low (at least ~40% below average price).

Boron foods are the "safest", in that they're sort of in the middle: ok, but not great in any category. You wont make huge profits selling them above average, but you wont take huge losses selling them below average either. They do make more then other foods when sold ~at~ average prices, though. They're often preferred in complexes because they're the cheapest factories to buy.

Also, keep an eye out for weapon and tech fabs that are full of product. NPC traders in X3R are kind of sluggish about buying up weapons or shields, and these can be hugely profitable if you buy them near minimum price and sell to an Equipment Dock or Terracorp.

The plot gives you a free Ore Mine in Paranid space which can be a nice free resource to play around with and learn how to manage factories.

Also, DO get the bonus pack. CAGs (Commercial Agents) are a huge improvement over standard traders.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”