Dusting off X2 the threat. Wish I could.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Da_Junka
x3tc

Dusting off X2 the threat. Wish I could.

Post by Da_Junka » Sat, 4. Aug 12, 08:13

I thought I would dust off and play my old X2. It was the X game that holds the fondest memory's.
When I bought it, it came on one of those disc things.
You remember those disk things that you would have to go out side of your house to buy, and then you would have to stick the disc thing in a hole on your computer, then after a half hour of rattle and bangs your game would load.
Well I think I may have lost that disc thing in the house move or it broke after to much rattling and banging, I can't seem to remember. :)

I have the cd-key so is there anywhere legally that I can download the game?
~Intel i5 2500K ~ Nvidia GTX 670 ~ Z77 chipset ~ 16 gig Vengence ~Win 7 64bit ~

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Sat, 4. Aug 12, 08:46

if your going to download you can get it on steam for £4.99.

not sure about donwloading using your original key, that sort of arrangment usually has to be sorted before purchase but i doubt X2 has this.
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Sat, 4. Aug 12, 10:02

X2 is worth a re-play for sure > I'd first played it on my laptop, so much later when I got a new PC and nice big 24" monitor, I re-played X2 to get the feel on a bigger display. Brilliant, and felt brand new, played well on Vista for me. So I'd recommend it even if you had to 're-purchase from steam...'
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

Da_Junka
x3tc

Post by Da_Junka » Sat, 4. Aug 12, 10:09

Darn, I could have had it cheap from the Steam sales as well.
I thought I had it tucked away somewhere, but cannot find it. I just tried to borrow my Sons copy and he can't find his either, looks like it's going to be one of those days. :(

Soooooo!! Looks like I am going to have to re-purchase it. I hope it's worth it.

Da_Junka
x3tc

Post by Da_Junka » Sat, 4. Aug 12, 11:06

ThommoHawk wrote:X2 is worth a re-play for sure > I'd first played it on my laptop, so much later when I got a new PC and nice big 24" monitor, I re-played X2 to get the feel on a bigger display. Brilliant, and felt brand new, played well on Vista for me. So I'd recommend it even if you had to 're-purchase from steam...'
Yeah, this is what I was thinking. I am a little fed-up with the X3 series at the moment, it's to much like swimming up hill, so I was looking for something like X but somewhat lighter and more fun to play and then all of a sudden I remembered X2. :x2:

UPDATE: I bought it again and am playing it, and I have to say it's even better than I remember. Now this is X at it's best.

Ulan Dhor
x3tc

Post by Ulan Dhor » Sat, 4. Aug 12, 18:48

Da_Junka wrote:UPDATE: I bought it again and am playing it, and I have to say it's even better than I remember. Now this is X at it's best.
Heh, never played X2, but bought it some time ago in a sale, so your post brought me to take a short tour through some known areas. The messages at the Goner Temple were hilarious.

Da_Junka
x3tc

Post by Da_Junka » Sat, 4. Aug 12, 20:28

Yep, X2 has it's benefits. For one it draws you into the game much better than X3, I also prefer the combat in X2 and having a cockpit really helps to give the feel of flying a space ship.

I know the graphics are aged in X2 but I like the clean simple look of the ships and stations. The ships and stations in X3 remind me of train wrecks or tinfoil origami. :)

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sat, 4. Aug 12, 21:12

Every time I try to go back to X2 , I have to learn to fly all over again ! :lol:

Da_Junka
x3tc

Post by Da_Junka » Sat, 4. Aug 12, 21:59

TTD wrote:Every time I try to go back to X2 , I have to learn to fly all over again ! :lol:
It's really good when you get use to it though. The only thing that used to, and still annoys me is the cockpit shake when you accelerate, it doesn't feel like I am accelerating, more like my cockpit is coming loose. :)

Ziggy
x3tc

Post by Ziggy » Sat, 4. Aug 12, 23:18

I know the graphics are aged in X2 but I like the clean simple look of the ships and stations. The ships and stations in X3 remind me of train wrecks or tinfoil origami.
LOL

IMHO X hit its peak with X2, X3+ as good as it is just doesnt seem to pull me in like X2. I feel like im in a simulator not a universe :P

Ziggy
... to be so alone your brain screams for a voice and your heart cries for the warmth of a soul ...

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 5. Aug 12, 09:33

The implementation of the story in Reunion with the race through hoops,put me off the plotline.I just read the walkthroughs and continued with Bala Gi instead.

TC has better and more plots,but you are not so immersed in the story now,as you do not play a key role character like Julian or Kyle.
You are no longer given regular instructions the same way you were in X2,with cinematic dialogue etc.

AP seems a little better from the CW point of view,but is too short.
Not started the Terran plotline yet.

Over all,out of the above ,I agree with X2 being more immersive,but TC is the best for opportunities.

AP...I still do not like the never ending war...or do the Terrans win now?

Da_Junka
x3tc

Post by Da_Junka » Sun, 5. Aug 12, 10:05

I guess your right in saying that X3 is more the simulator and X2 more the game. Hopefully Rebirth shall be a bit of both so that simulator fans and gamers can both benefit.

I also now agree that TC is the best of the X3 series. I did think that AP seemed better on my first few plays, but later found the changes in AP to actually make the game a lot less enjoyable to the point that I rage quit the game on more than one occasion. :)

Except for the graphical and menu changes I now think that AP is not all that good.
Last edited by Da_Junka on Sun, 5. Aug 12, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Sun, 5. Aug 12, 10:39

Just use your CD key on steam and i believe you can grab it right away :D
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

bufi
x4

Post by bufi » Sun, 5. Aug 12, 11:09

Virtualaughing wrote:Just use your CD key on steam and i believe you can grab it right away :D
CDKey from X2 not working on Steam.

R.

Da_Junka
x3tc

Post by Da_Junka » Sun, 5. Aug 12, 11:11

Virtualaughing wrote:Just use your CD key on steam and i believe you can grab it right away :D
First thing I tried. 'key not recognized'

I bought X2 in a box from Tesco's 5000000 years ago. I don't even know if there was a Steam back then.

NOTE: How about the players own decals in X2? Now that was a splendid touch, why did they not include this in X3?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”