Let's come together and make a FULL Star Wars conversion!!!

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Ameer Nuub
x3tc

Post by Ameer Nuub » Wed, 12. Sep 12, 13:54

DrRickMarshall wrote:Doctor Rick Marshall here,

Just a thought but since most people come here (egosoft forums) for modding advice for tc/ap, you may want to keep an ongoing version history, current works, future to-do list here. advertising it all with direct links to the other forum, so that those who can help you see where you're going with it, will most likely help you in the long run.

Just a thought.
Yep, you're absolutely right, thanks! One of the other voluteers offered to do just that, but didn't come through and I (we) have been concentrating on other things such that some of the most basic, obvious, and necessary details are left undone.

Thufir, I believe he is referring to a changelog and working feature update in the title post of this egosoft forum... that does not exist yet. There is a link to the dev forum, as well as instructions how to get there in the video ad, but not the other things, and I do think that would be wise to add... just the time to do it is the problem!!! :D

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Wed, 12. Sep 12, 15:05

Oh, boy.

LV and I talked about doing this, a long time ago, but sadly it never got off the ground.

This looks AWESOME!!

Will download and try it out when I can :)

Ameer Nuub
x3tc

Post by Ameer Nuub » Wed, 12. Sep 12, 15:10

imperium3 wrote:Oh, boy.

LV and I talked about doing this, a long time ago, but sadly it never got off the ground.

This looks AWESOME!!

Will download and try it out when I can :)
Thanks... just remember what is available for download is a staring point, is just there as a courtesy, and the actual described project is still being developed.

Thufir Hawar

Post by Thufir Hawar » Wed, 12. Sep 12, 15:55

Ameer Nuub wrote:
Thufir, I believe he is referring to a changelog and working feature update in the title post of this egosoft forum... that does not exist yet. There is a link to the dev forum, as well as instructions how to get there in the video ad, but not the other things, and I do think that would be wise to add... just the time to do it is the problem!!! :D
You're right, my bad english + quick read = I didn't understood :D. Indeed we need to make a refresh of the first post, as Ameer said we were just speaking about something similar on the devs forums. However for now the developpement is more about searchs than real modding.

@ imperium3 : if you are motivated you are also welcome to join us, like Vador said in the video (exclusive interview of course :o ) we need you :)

Nicoman35
x3tc

Post by Nicoman35 » Fri, 14. Sep 12, 09:17

I remember playing Tie Fighter on my pc (CD version). In my eyes one of the best Star Wars games so far. It had a wonderfull depth of play on account the verbouse mission breefings as well as the mission design.

I don't think it would be possible to make a full Tie Fighter 'remake' with X3, but if I may, I suggest you to let you inspire by that game :). What do you think?

Ameer Nuub
x3tc

Post by Ameer Nuub » Fri, 14. Sep 12, 13:54

Nicoman35 wrote:I remember playing Tie Fighter on my pc (CD version). In my eyes one of the best Star Wars games so far. It had a wonderfull depth of play on account the verbouse mission breefings as well as the mission design.

I don't think it would be possible to make a full Tie Fighter 'remake' with X3, but if I may, I suggest you to let you inspire by that game :). What do you think?
I still have the original boxes, booklets, CD's and everything for all titles in that franchise from it's beginning through X-wing Alliance. Those hold a special place in my heart as well.

I think the layout and feel of X3 is already very similar, which is one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. I doubt we will be copying or remaking any of those titles. However, there are projects currently available that "re-fit" those games with better graphics ( Alliance at least ).

We will be adding missions, etc. so if there are a few particular ones you remember and love from that franchise, they might be good ideas for those.

Thufir Hawar

Post by Thufir Hawar » Sun, 23. Sep 12, 19:10

A little up to say we are still working on the mod , and any help is welcome :)

hotrod08
x3

Post by hotrod08 » Mon, 24. Sep 12, 22:34

hi all, havent played in yrs lol cause most talk about a mod like this then fizzle out....this mod seems more active=good in my book, will i have to buy AB or will this mod work fully with x3TC ?? thanks for any reply

Ender_Xenocide
x3ap

Post by Ender_Xenocide » Thu, 18. Oct 12, 20:28

Hi all

I think this is THE GAME that needs a SW mod made for it, and from what I've seen on Youtube, you guys are doing a fantastic job! I wish I could help, but my design skills are limited to mine design for businesses, so no experience with e.g. texturing etc. at all.

A couple of questions whose answers are very important for me:

1. Will this mod work (in TC) with at least most mainstream mods I already have? (e.g. XRM, Green Factories and Turbo boost)

2. Briefly, what has been changed so far? I.e. is it just ship models, factions? sector names? etc.

I would like nothing more than to start playing this awesome mod asap!
When Carl Marx said "Religion is the opiate of the masses.", he hadn't seen television.

Ameer Nuub
x3tc

Post by Ameer Nuub » Fri, 19. Oct 12, 14:17

Ender_Xenocide wrote:Hi all

I think this is THE GAME that needs a SW mod made for it, and from what I've seen on Youtube, you guys are doing a fantastic job! I wish I could help, but my design skills are limited to mine design for businesses, so no experience with e.g. texturing etc. at all.

A couple of questions whose answers are very important for me:

1. Will this mod work (in TC) with at least most mainstream mods I already have? (e.g. XRM, Green Factories and Turbo boost)

2. Briefly, what has been changed so far? I.e. is it just ship models, factions? sector names? etc.

I would like nothing more than to start playing this awesome mod asap!

Hey there Ender_Xenocide,

The answer is kind of a mixed bag. The original mod currently available from the link has some story stopping bugs and other issues, and also has a bunch of other scripts and changes that might present some issues for what you describe. I’m still working on some ship related stuff, but because of lack of response, people getting involved, time, etc. the whole mod “vision” is looking like it might not come to pass, but I’ll at least be releasing another slimmed down version that works a little better in the next few weeks.

That version will pretty much just replace all game ships to Star Wars ships, replace all music to Star Wars music, all sound effects to SW effects, etc. There will be other small Star Wars conversion elements (hud, load screens, etc.) but the vanilla story and most everything other than what I listed above will be unaltered. I just don’t have time to list the ol’ ultra-mega-specific, name-every-single-file-that-was-revised type of changelog, as I think the above says plenty.

Since the one I’ll be releasing is very basic as mentioned above, it should work with TC and possibly other mods, but I’m not a coder, modder, etc. so I don’t know for sure, and this was really just throwing this idea out there to see if anyone who was one might be interested. I’ll be offering the one I’m describing as an option… the previous one will still be available, and if the few others that responded with interest still are able and interested in working on it, then there might be a version with all converted maps, sectors, etc, but that would be a bit down the road. That’s why I wanted to approach it with the “release what you have when you have it” approach, because the "fizzle out" eventuality is pretty common (completely understandably).

All the best to you!

Ender_Xenocide
x3ap

Post by Ender_Xenocide » Fri, 19. Oct 12, 14:52

Thanks for the reply Ameer - or should I address you as Mr. Nuub? :D - and thanks for the reply. I will test the new version when you release it and report back on it's compatibility with the abovementioned mods. At least that way I'll feel like I contributed. :P

Just a suggestion - I don't know if you've thought of this already, or if it's feasible - but what about replacing the Pirate faction with the Rebels? It occurs to me they should have the same behavioural pattern (pitching up randomly and bugging the hell out of the Empire).

Can't wait to try it out however it ends up. I honestly can't fathom how there is so little interest in this. I wanted a game like X3:TC for Star Wars since Rebellion in the 90's. Maybe we need to get the word out more?
When Carl Marx said "Religion is the opiate of the masses.", he hadn't seen television.

Ameer Nuub
x3tc

Post by Ameer Nuub » Fri, 19. Oct 12, 15:29

Ender_Xenocide wrote:Thanks for the reply Ameer - or should I address you as Mr. Nuub? :D - and thanks for the reply. I will test the new version when you release it and report back on it's compatibility with the abovementioned mods. At least that way I'll feel like I contributed. :P

Just a suggestion - I don't know if you've thought of this already, or if it's feasible - but what about replacing the Pirate faction with the Rebels? It occurs to me they should have the same behavioural pattern (pitching up randomly and bugging the hell out of the Empire).

Can't wait to try it out however it ends up. I honestly can't fathom how there is so little interest in this. I wanted a game like X3:TC for Star Wars since Rebellion in the 90's. Maybe we need to get the word out more?

Sure, no problem.

Your idea of the Pirates / Rebels is interesting…

I can DEFINITELY relate to thinking X3 is SCREAMING for a huge, beefy Star Wars conversion… it is the PERFECT game for it, and it does seem odd that no one has done it yet (other than the mod types that already exist). But I also understand that real, expert bona-fide mod teams and projects that actually produce a product are extremely rare, most releases are from one very skilled modder (with a few other credits) who gets a particular hair up his arse to do it, and it pretty much NEVER happens “Rebel Alliance” style, like I was presenting it. I knew that fact when I made the original post, but you can’t just not give it a try. I would probably have gotten a lot more involvement if I signed up for a billion forums and posted the ad link, and a bunch of other stuff like that, but I'm a pretty misanthropic hermit, so meh… is what it is.

TiberiousKirk

Post by TiberiousKirk » Tue, 8. Jan 13, 21:40

Ok, so I uninstalled and deleted left over folders. I then re-installed the TC updated to 3.2 Dropped all the files for SWC 2.0 in the TC folder. I see the loading screens and hear the new music, but I do not see any new races or ships. Did I forget to do something?

Flybye
x3tc

Post by Flybye » Mon, 24. Jun 13, 18:35

What ever happened to this mod? I haven't seen any posts for it in 2013 here or in your forums.

Unless someone else has a SW mod that is current?

Ameer Nuub
x3tc

Post by Ameer Nuub » Fri, 28. Jun 13, 14:29

Flybye wrote:What ever happened to this mod? I haven't seen any posts for it in 2013 here or in your forums.

Unless someone else has a SW mod that is current?
Haven't seen anything more current.

Created the ad for this on YouTube, it got 30,000 or so views, became "featured" etc., and got ZERO offers to help with it... LOL. Which is fine. I'm audio / video, not a coder or modeler, so I was just seeing if any real modders were interested and wanted a mule to do the grunt work.

Sorry... wish it would have come together too.

Flybye
x3tc

Post by Flybye » Fri, 28. Jun 13, 20:03

I used to have a lot of fun with textures, and I even had a tutorial up some where on how to make transparent and glowing textures.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...I had helped someone with their Tie Fighter and Interceptor. I got pretty annoyed with people constantly trying to use stock textures, stock bump maps, and shaders associated with those stock maps. He gave me the models, and I experimented a little bit and came up with these:

Tie 1
Tie 2
Tie 3
Tie 4
Tie 5
Tie 6
Tie Inteceptor 1
Tie Inteceptor 2
Tie Inteceptor 3

I probably took it a lil bit too far with the bump mapping, but hey I like detail. :D I have no idea what happened to those guys. I don't even remember their names. This was like 5-6yrs ago. I think I still even have the model of the Executor and these Ties. As always, RL got in the way. :(I wouldn't even begin to try to offer any help, but I did wanted to show you those models and tell me if you have seen them somewhere and/or what you thought about them. :) I think I ended up using some type of gray texture I created with custom bump mapping, and I believe I ended up using a moon shader for the non glossiness. Argon solar panel textures were used on the solar panels. And as you can see from the background, those are all in game shots.

Ameer Nuub
x3tc

Post by Ameer Nuub » Fri, 28. Jun 13, 21:12

OMG... LOL... start doing that with a Star Destroyer and we're gonna need quantum computing to run the game LOL...

Those look photorealistic and amazing. Well done indeed.

Flybye
x3tc

Post by Flybye » Fri, 28. Jun 13, 22:15

Hey how hard/time consuming do you think it would be to make a super small mod to just have all the ships in 1 sector like it was done in your video?

Reason is because I would love to just be able to put X3 on my entertainment computer, get a cheap usb joystick, sit on a chair with my 10yr old son, and just pretend like we are flying the Falcon.

Then again, if you guys have just that 1 mod like you did in the video, that would be perfect for me! :)

Ameer Nuub
x3tc

Post by Ameer Nuub » Fri, 28. Jun 13, 22:58

Flybye wrote:Thanks :)

Hey how hard/time consuming do you think it would be to make a super small mod to just have all the ships in 1 sector like it was done in your video?

Reason is because I would love to just be able to put X3 on my entertainment computer, get a cheap usb joystick, sit on a chair with my 10yr old son, and just pretend like we are flying the Falcon.

Then again, if you guys have just that 1 mod like you did in the video, that would be perfect for me! :)
Well if ZERO people are willing to do anything, then it doesn’t matter how small the mod… LOL…

Truth be told, what you’re asking for is there… I mean the mod is available and ready for download as described in the OP and the ad. All you see in the ad is just tons of hours of work on my part spawning all the ships with a cheat script, positioning them perfectly, doing all the audio and video editing, etc. When first starting on the mod, I was told a few code instructions to do with the tons of files for all the ships, and I poured a ton of hours into that, but things fizzled from there. But all the willingness to work from one guy is worthless without someone involved who has the know-how, and there is no one with the know-how who is interested or willing.

I have even offered TO PAY ACTUAL COLD HARD CASH to anyone willing to make a few Star Wars Ships missing from X3 that are available for other games… the meshes ALREADY EXIST, you would just have to slap them together for X3, and no one is willing. EVEN PAID!!! LOL…

I don’t get it.

Also, I don't know if you saw my rig from the link in the OP, but playing with a joystick is the only way to go. I have been a strictly PC gamer since the 80's and have never used anything but a joystick (after they came out with the mappable ones).

Flybye
x3tc

Post by Flybye » Fri, 28. Jun 13, 23:53

Offering cash and people still didn't give in? Lol

I think another problem is Rebirth is almost here. No one knows if what you make now will be compatible with Rebirth, and if it is how many adjustments would be needed to make it work right?

Me and a few guys also started making a mod a few years ago called Enrertainment Mogul or something like that. Idea was to have a cruise ship with personnel scripts, gambling scripts, scripts requiring you to hire all the crew you need, creating waste wares , food wares, misc souvenir wares, etc. we were going to have different locations of where the cruise ship would go, where to pick up passengers, custom stations, etc. I even started duplicating the cruise ship from The 5th Element. I was even going to create a city on an asteroid. I so wanted to created a massive cavern inside an asteroid.

So many ideas but so little time. We even had our own forums like you guys have, but RL simply got in the way.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”