Boosting OoS mobile mining speed?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Echofinder
x3tc

Boosting OoS mobile mining speed?

Post by Echofinder » Wed, 8. Aug 12, 02:04

Is there any way to boost the OoS mining speed for mobile miners?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Re: Boosting OoS mobile mining speed?

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 8. Aug 12, 03:21

Echofinder wrote:Is there any way to boost the OoS mining speed for mobile miners?
If you mean the speed of the ships, you wouldn't want to. They already crash enough as it is.

If you mean the rate at which miners collect minerals, then "yes": Use more miners. ;)

Mobile Mining Mk2 allows you to command a wing of miners, which makes the job much easier.

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Wed, 8. Aug 12, 05:30

Well yes, there's that. My HQ has been building falcon haulers almost constantly, but whenever I send them out to mine and view them while OoS, they seem to sit there for 10 minutes before actually adding anything to their cargo hold.

Osiris454
x3tc

Post by Osiris454 » Wed, 8. Aug 12, 05:41

Or just use Prospector from Lucike. I have miners delivering stuff to my HQ for ship production too. Mostly Nvidium and Silicon though. I have an Ore mine IS so I don't need that.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 8. Aug 12, 05:41

Echofinder wrote:My HQ has been building falcon haulers almost constantly

Nice choice.
but whenever I send them out to mine and view them while OoS, they seem to sit there for 10 minutes before actually adding anything to their cargo hold.
Ten minutes seems unusually long. Which command do you give them to start mining? What mineral are they mining for? Do you start them near a rock cluster? What command are they running?

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Wed, 8. Aug 12, 07:25

It's Albion Gamma, there don't seem to be any Silicon debris (I give them a command but they immediately cancel it), but plenty of Ore, everywhere.

The command is "Mine Minerals" and they're based in a Mammoth in the same sector.

They sit around not moving or anything for ages, they only seem to do anything when I'm NOT watching them OoS.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 8. Aug 12, 07:31

Echofinder wrote:The command is "Mine Minerals"
Which one? Special Menu or Trade Menu?

Are you saying that you told them to mine Ore in Albion Gamma?

It's a big sector, so it could take time for Falcon Haulers to get to a juicy rock cluster.

Notice which command they are running (on the Property sheet). Is the ship "collecting rocks", "mining minerals", or "moving to position"?

(Or turn on Additional Information in the Script Editor, then look at the bottom of the ship's command menu to see what the actual task is (on Task 0).)

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Wed, 8. Aug 12, 21:16

They're on "Collecting Rocks" for ages, I'm using the special menu version [Mine.S].

In any case, even with dozens of ships under the best circumstances it's still not anywhere close to an actual station and I want to change that so it's a reasonable way to supply complexes.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Wed, 8. Aug 12, 22:31

OOS mining bothers me. We need to come up with a better system.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 8. Aug 12, 22:49

Echofinder wrote:They're on "Collecting Rocks" for ages, I'm using the special menu version [Mine.S].

OK. Mine.S eliminates any potential problems with supply and demand; that's good.

"Collecting Rocks" includes travel time to the targeted rock cluster. In a large sector, that could take some time.

Suggestion 1: You might want to test in a smaller sector until you are sure that things are working the way that you want. Hatikvah's Faith comes to mind, although there are several sectors full of rock clusters.

Suggestion 2: There is (almost) no need to be OOS while your miners are mining, so try following them around to see what they are actually doing.

I say "almost" because your miners can take more damage In-Sector than OOS. Mobile Mining Mk2 solves that problem by allowing the miners to pause when they have shield damage or go for repairs when they have hull damage. However, for a short test period, damage should not be a big deal.

In any case, even with dozens of ships under the best circumstances it's still not anywhere close to an actual station and I want to change that so it's a reasonable way to supply complexes.
My experience is that half a dozen miners can fill a TL in a couple of hours. Is that not fast enough for you? I have heard of players with 50 miners who use them to clear out entire sectors that are cluttered with rocks.

I took a quick look at the mining scripts, and do not see a lot of opportunity to increase speed of mining. There is a five minute delay when changing sectors, although that should happen infrequently enough that you should not even notice it (unless you specifically watch for it).

Try the above suggestions and let us know your results.

@Litcube: What bothers you about OOS mining?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”