Random mines from nowhere and fighters killing each other?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

AlekMance

Random mines from nowhere and fighters killing each other?

Post by AlekMance » Mon, 13. Aug 12, 23:13

So recently I've been having this odd problem with my fighters. Shortly after arriving in a hostile sector, I launch them and tell them to attack some target, usually a large one. However, recently I've found they've been getting destroyed really easily, but when I check to see what destroyed them, I tend to see some unusual messages. There are of course one or two that say that a fighter was destroyed by the ship they were attacking, but the majority seem to say that it either was killed by another one of my fighters or, oddly enough, a mine. The first is probably a problem with the autopilot and the fact that I'm launching a group of 65 fighters at once, though I've never seen the issue quite as pronounced before. When I played a month or two ago, my fighters were doing fine in those numbers. Now it seems like they're more of a threat to themselves than enemy ships are. The second, however, has me stumped. I've even taken the time to check the sector for mines using the cheat mod before launching my fighters and even used it to check the ships I sent them to attack before they attacked. I also checked my own ships to make sure I hadn't somehow given one of them some mines. I did it again just a few minutes ago against a missile frigate. I am certain that there were no mines aboard that frigate, nor were there any aboard the ships near it, yet somehow over a dozen of my fighters were killed by Ion and SQUASH mines before they destroyed it. The ship was a Boron Kraken, my ships are all fully equipped Fenrirs, and I'm playing Albion Prelude.

So I guess my question is, has anyone else encountered something like this? Is it normal for ships to just spawn mines at will? If so, this is the first time I've seen it happen. I will say that it could possibly be a result of the numerous mods I have installed, but I do not recall any of them mentioning adding mine capability to commonwealth AI ships.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Re: Random mines from nowhere and fighters killing each other?

Post by Snafu_X3 » Mon, 13. Aug 12, 23:50

AlekMance wrote: I've even taken the time to check the sector for mines using the cheat mod before launching my fighters and even used it to check the ships I sent them to attack before they attacked. I also checked my own ships to make sure I hadn't somehow given one of them some mines. I did it again just a few minutes ago against a missile frigate. I am certain that there were no mines aboard that frigate, nor were there any aboard the ships near it, yet somehow over a dozen of my fighters were killed by Ion and SQUASH mines before they destroyed it. The ship was a Boron Kraken, my ships are all fully equipped Fenrirs, and I'm playing Albion Prelude.
Which sector, or are both your attempts in different sectors?
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

AlekMance

Post by AlekMance » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 00:07

Which sector, or are both your attempts in different sectors?
Today I recreated it in Ocean of Fantasy a couple times, though I think I may have done it in another sector or two before. It also might only be happening when I attack Krakens or other M7M ships, but I haven't exactly tested it thoroughly. They are also ships that jump in when I begin attacking stations in the area, not ships that were already there, or at least they were today.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 01:50

Sounds like an AP-specific 'problem' - I'll leave it to those players, sorry
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 12:36

I believe that when the player or something else kills an RRF script bomber it releases mines in sphere around it to simulate an area effect of the bomber blowing up. If that effect is in X3AP version RRF scripts then that would be the answer.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

AlekMance

Post by AlekMance » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 16:55

Interesting. I don't recall ever installing the RRF plugin, but, sure enough, the files are in my X3 directory. I find this odd, but with how many mods I've installed I guess it's not unheard of.

Also, is it normal for fighters to kill each other as much as they do? I sent 65 fighters into fight a capital ship just now and of the 20 or so that were destroyed, 9 were destroyed by another one of my fighters. I don't know if they're shooting at each other or just running into each other, but this amount of self-damage seems very unusual to me.
Last edited by AlekMance on Tue, 14. Aug 12, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 17:00

RRF is incorporated into the vanilla X3AP game.

Edit for your Edit: Since this is all IS, I would hazard that these are a mix of collisions and friendly fire. Each actual collision could mean the potential loss of 2 fighters, especially if they are already on low shields or damaged. It is very possible that they are also wandering into each others' lines of fire, especially if you are using area weapons like PBG etc. The enemy could be stripping their shields and slowing them down with your friendly fire just finishing them off with that final bullet.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Tue, 14. Aug 12, 18:06, edited 3 times in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

AlekMance

Post by AlekMance » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 17:54

Alan Phipps wrote:RRF is incorporated into the vanilla X3AP game.
I guess that answers that question. I might just have to stick with the big ships then.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”