(X3TC) Help and suggestions with first factory setup.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

weltall2
x3ap

(X3TC) Help and suggestions with first factory setup.

Post by weltall2 » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 11:30

Factory building is a first for me. Well ok I "tried" it in X2 but I got really frustrated and back then I guess I did not feel like spending much time understanding how it worked. Now with all these great guides and helpful people though its different. X3TC up to now is great for me but I have spent a lot of time running around with the Skate Prototype I got at the beginning (by following Roguey's guide to free ships) and right now I have 47 mil with 2 M6 and 3 TP somewhere parked.

I am not sure though where to start what would be good to build and by reading a handful of guides It feels like if I do not do it right either the AI will not be able to land and buy stuff off of me or everything will go to heck with collisions. Also I do not want to make something that will kill my FPS and cause problems so I was wondering if a mod like Complex Cleaner v4.09 / Modular Complexes would be helpful. Actually any mod that would make things easier would be nice.

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 12:02

Scripts and Mod questions should be asked in the S&M Forum. But as you are already here, the answer to your question is yes and no. For large and very large complexes then they are ideal for reducing lag caused by the complexes. However if you only intend to build small complexes then I don't think they are necessary. :)
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

weltall2
x3ap

Post by weltall2 » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 12:14

For now I am not sure what I want to do. Actually right now I am not going to do something huge since I will play the game in Vanilla for the storylines, then I will get AP and play the storylines there too and then I am playing XRM and THEN I will go in huge scale. But I wanted to train in building an empire from now I guess.

For now I am thinking on going for spaceweed production and maybe spacefuel since it looks relatively easy.. then again I am not sure if it is.

Also thank you for replying, mainly I wanted to know about the stations and how to not make a mess.

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 12:30

It's not easy building a complex that is all nice and tidy! I find it very time consuming and frustrating. I usually just drop my stations as close to each other as possible, add the tubing and then cringe at the monster I had just created! But it works, despite all it's ugliness. :)

PS
When you advanced to AP, and if you install the Bonus Pack, you can have the stations built for you in a neat tidy package,. There is a company called HephCorp. who will drop your complex stations wherever you want (with the exception of mines). All you then need to do is add the tubing and voila!. A nice, neat complex you can be proud of. :)
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

Playbahnosh
x4

Post by Playbahnosh » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 12:33

Welcome! :)

Factory building is a great thing to learn, since it can get you a steady income and some things you can't or at least not easily get otherwise. 47 MCr is an awesome capital for the starting of you empire, you can do a lot with that. I also understand the complexity could be quite imposing at first, but don't fear, it's actually easier than it looks. You just need some experience. The guides can show you everything you need to know, but here's a short rundown on what you'll need:

You need capital, stations and infrastructure. You the capital part nailed perfectly, so it seems you have no problem getting money in a pinch, which is great. You need build stations (Capt. Obvious to the rescue!) and you also need infrastructure to do that, and by that I mean ships.

First, you don't need your own TL to do this, but it's HIGHLY recommended. I suggest you buy yourself a TL class ship to build stations and serve as a warehouse. The Split Elephant is a good first choice, it's cheap, fast and has everything you need. You don't need to equip it too much, since it will be just floating in space most of the time doing nothing, but do upgrade it's engines and cargo bay at least.

Next, you need to figure out what to build and where. Look around the sectors and look for holes in the economy. If you find a group of sectors that have big industry (many factories) but no power plants in the neighborhood, it might be a good idea to build one there. Same with food and other resources. Later, you might be interested to build complexes. Closed loop complexes manufacture most things for themselves including food, energy and intermediate products (even ores if you put mines in there) and only produce the end product. You can learn more about complexes in the guides, but a good first complex to build is a 1MJ Shield complex. You can also use a Complex Calculator to plan your complexes.

If you have it all planned out, you need to build the actual station(s). This is what most new players are afraid of, but shouldn't be. It's easy. Look for a shipyard that sells the station you want to build. If you don't have your own TL ship, jump in the sector and look for a "<race name> Supply <TL class>" ship, for example in Omicron Lyrae it will be the "Argon Supply Mammoth". Comm the ship and talk to the Captain. You'll have the option to hire them to transport your station for you. Hire him and tell him to dock to the shipyard. If you have your own TL, you just tell it to dock, no hassle. Then buy the station and select the TL you want it loaded into. Next tell the TL to move to the sector you want to build your station in. Hired TLs will charge you for every gate they pass through. Once you and the TL arrive to the sector, tell it to "drop freight here". Now the sector map will pop up and you can place your station. Its a good idea to point your ship at the space you want to build, since when placing it you can see the ghost image of the station. Now, using the numpad keys, drag the reticule on the map to the point you want to build it then rotate it how you want. Press Insert to switch between Z and Y axis. Once the map reticule points to the place you wanna build, press enter and watch the cinematic. There you go, your very own station is now built and ready to produce.

It does not end there, however. Granted, your factory is ready and theoretically can function now, since if you give the station some money NPCs can fill it with raw materials. But it's good to buy a few TS ships and equip them with trade, nav and CLS softwares. Then you can homebase them to your station and tell them to buy the materials and sell the end product, so you don't have to worry about finicky NPCs.

This is all better explained in all the great guides you can find around here, but this is the gist of it. Also, don't worry about FPS problems just yet, it only comes up when you have large complexes in a sector (50+ stations), single stations or small complexes do nothing to your framerate the game didn't do itself by now. When you get to the point you are building 100+ station complexes, come back, but until then, don't worry about it :)

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 13:45

Okay, so some useful advice.

Before you build deploy an Advanced Nav Sat. This will allow you to press K while on the map and see a wire frame of everything. But in particular this is useful while building complexes and stations.

Once you have your station and have entered the building mode, use PgUp, and PgDn to zoom in and out. Zoom in, and press K. This will let you see where the docking clamps are, and how you want them lined up. 4826 move the station along the X/Y axes in space. Pressing 'Insert' flips it so it's X/Z axes.

7139 rotate the station, so you can align it however you like.

Okay, so lets say you have two Wheat Farm L's. How do you make them a complex? First, deploy the first station, and set it where and how you like. For this exercise just drop it how it lands. Now, being the build process for the second one, and press 'Numpad 5'. This will align it to a nearby object, probably the TL. Use 'Up/Down' arrows to scroll through the list to the first station. Now, zoom in and flip the axes, then move it just high enough that it won't collide with the first one. (Later you can build stations inside one another, but I don't do it myself.)

Now, order the TL to deploy the complex construction kit. You'll have to select your two stations, then you'll be constructing the Complex Hub. Use 'Numpad 5' and scroll to the lower of the two stations. Now, Descend some distance along the Z axis and ensure that the Hub is rotated so that the docking arms are facing down away from the stations. This will prevent the tubes from being in the way. Now, deploy the Hub.

Piece of cake, but the Adv Sat is the most important part.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

donpera

Post by donpera » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 14:24

Paranid soy farms need teladianium. Duke's domain is perfect for learning how building works

cjm3fl
x3tc

Post by cjm3fl » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 18:30

Something that I do, especially when I began to build my first complexes...."save" before you deploy each station. In case of a major screw-up I could just re-start and try again.

Have a Tracker Beam in the ship you are flying when you start building Complexes.
You can fix minor position issue real easy. Working the Tracker Beam takes a little getting-used-to but it's not too bad.

When placing a Station or Complex--position it so it's not in a "travel lane" for NPC ships. Collisions do happen, rarely but they do.
Some pilots can't sit down without guidance.

You spoke of Weed or Whiskey production. I have separate Complexes to produce both. Make sure you place your factory or complex in a sector that is NOT under any Race's control. Both are "illegal" and a station/complex in a Commonwealth controlled sector will eventually get destroyed.
Since both are "illegal", some station/complex defenses would be a good idea. Laser Towers and 'homing' some fighters helps. I've recently 'homed' a M6 to all my Complexes as additional back-up.

The biggest piece of advise you can receive...Location/Location/Location!!!
Make sure what you produce isn't available in the sector you pick, or any neighboring sector.
--I know how you can make this Mod play like vanilla..
--Play vanilla!

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 23:20

Playbahnosh wrote:
Good advice; just a couple of minor points to add:

If you own the TL you don't have to drill down the menus to the 'special.. drop station' command: whether you're in the TL or not you can open its freight bay, click on the station & select 'build..'

If you are near (within say 10Km of) the nav beacon (or wherever you want to place your own station) MAKE SURE YOU COME TO A COMPLETE STOP before placing the station. Gametime continues while the custscene plays, & it's quite possible for you to fly into the new station or another object without you being able to do anything about it

If you are far away (beyond scanner/sat range) from a beacon, fly to within range before placing an NPC station. This way the new station will immediately appear on your map & you (& your assets, eg traders) will be able to make use of it
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

weltall2
x3ap

Post by weltall2 » Wed, 15. Aug 12, 11:18

Thanks a lot for all the great advice guys. Currently I am looking through different places to0 build making sure they are huge and spacey to build in. I have not yet opened a big part of the map so I am doing that now. Although on my next gameplay I will make sure to get a fast ship like a starburst or something to open up the universe.

Well after I find a good place I will build a 1MJ factory and whatever else is needed. Lets see how bad can be my first time.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”