X3AP Flying -all- the way to the surface of earth!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

drediker

X3AP Flying -all- the way to the surface of earth!

Post by drediker » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 15:27

I started as a humble merchant, after several hours i had a few mercury freighters automatically making me money all around argon space, but i wanted to start buying some big mean ships, so i had time to kill while the money piled up. Hopped into my tuned up discoverer raider and flew all the way from argon prime to earth. Took a while. So got to earth for the first time and was surprised to find nothing but the planet, and the destroyed ring space station. It was at this time I decided to test whether or not sectors have boundaries, as it turns out. They do not.

About 1925 km from the jump gate to earth I crashed in the pacific ocean, and by crashed I mean slipped through a collision-less facade, So yes, you can fly to earth, no you cant land because its not corporeal unfortunately. the effects of that ring being destroyed were greater than we realized! Earth is a ghost!

Anyway, just thought someone might find that interesting

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 15:40

Actually, sectors DO have boundaries. If you weren't killed then just keep flying and you will end up back where you started. That is if you are flying say, west to east, you will eventually end back up west. Ditto north/south etc. :)
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 15:53

@ drediker: This is interesting - "I crashed in the pacific ocean ... I mean slipped through a collision-less facade"

That means that the programmer decided not to give Earth planet an atmosphere boundary beyond which you would be gradually but inevitably destroyed before you got to the 'planet surface' IS in vanilla. I expect that is a legacy of X3TC where there was no need for an atmosphere layer because the Orbital Lasers would get you first if you went 'out of bounds' from the permitted access lane.

A good find!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

EnderIII
x4

Post by EnderIII » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 16:00

Alan Phipps wrote: I expect that is a legacy of X3TC where there was no need for an atmosphere layer because the Orbital Lasers would get you first if you went 'out of bounds' from the permitted access lane.

A good find!
There is nothing really there either, so not many reasons for a player to spend much time there. Most likely wasn't even thought about.

I guess you could build a complex, but without jumpgates, it is to far out.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 16:06

Mind you the player could drop a Jump Beacon there before building a nearby complex as part of their personal 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth'.

EnderIII
x4

Post by EnderIII » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 16:06

Alan Phipps wrote:Mind you the player could drop a Jump Beacon there before building a nearby complex as part of their personal 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth'.
Building a new "Torus" massive complex ringing the Earth would be a neat project.

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 18:12

EnderIII wrote:Building a new "Torus" massive complex ringing the Earth would be a neat project.
Okay, I've got my hammer, screwdriver and wrench. Where do I start? :lol:
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 19:08

At least if you decide to go after the Terrans in this game, you don't have to deal with an indestructible torus and having to keep them bottled up 8)

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 21:34

Alan Phipps wrote:That means that the programmer decided not to give Earth planet an atmosphere boundary beyond which you would be gradually but inevitably destroyed before you got to the 'planet surface'
The Moon has one :). (or did in TC, anyway)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 21:38

Aye, but the Moon sector doesn't have the Lasers of Doom restricting Player movement, even in TC.

Moon - atmosphere??? (Those bloody Terraformers, I expect.)

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 22:41

There was a recent post about an Albion sector,iirc , in which you could navigate a planet.

imortalvalk
x4

Post by imortalvalk » Sun, 19. Aug 12, 03:02

Yeah apparently you can go to the planet Albion and fly in the huge chasms, would be fun as the guy also said it spins bloody fast I think.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”