X3:AP Mobile Mining

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vortexz
x4

X3:AP Mobile Mining

Post by Vortexz » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 15:13

I've started to use the mining command in my Mistral, and after 10 minutes or so on SETA, my hull is down to 5%. Is this function supposed to be used for capital ships or what?

I'm mining in Kingdom End.
There's coffee in that nebula! - Kathryn Janeway

- How about a russian roulette booth? And here's the kicker, we put bullets in all the chambers, that way *everybody* wins! -

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 15:39

Best used OOS

Set your ship working and leave the sector ,in another ship, to avoid collision detection.

Using a TL can be fun though if you are piloting it on auto. :D

brownthomasw
x3ap

Post by brownthomasw » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 15:42

now that they don't need to lowere thier shields to pick up the rocks they shouldn't crash as much but some of the rocks in a broken rock cloud are too big for them to pick up and they can crash into these damaging themselves.

1. Miners can use good shields.

2. Stay out of sector while they are mining, long story short they won't bump into stuff if you're not looking at them.

3. don't sit in sector with seta especially. This messes with his avoidance collision because he's on fast forward.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 19:22

IS mining on SETA causes a ton of collisions.

Even without SETA the autopilot has hard enough time, and will bump into things occasionally. Adding in time compression makes it even harder for the AI to find a same path.

Vortexz
x4

Post by Vortexz » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 04:04

Damn, i went all out on this mistral, i guess i'll have to do it manually until i can afford to buy a cheapo discoverer.
Thanks everyone.

- How about a russian roulette booth? And here's the kicker, we put bullets in all the chambers, that way *everybody* wins! -

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 04:18

Vortexz wrote:i guess i'll have to do it manually
Or you could follow the suggestions above to let the Mistral mine Out Of Sector while you run taxi and trade missions in your Discoverer.

If the Mistral is your only ship then do a few missions in the Mistral so that you can buy a Kestrel (or Discoverer).

Mining is slow-but-steady income. Missions are much faster.

Vortexz
x4

Post by Vortexz » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 06:19

I used the 'humble merchant' start, and i sold the Disco that i started with, did some trade runs in my mercury until i could afford the mistral, i was running into the issue that the transport missions were impossible to do with the slowness of my mercury, so i invested in a mistral.
I only have 16k credits right now so i have to find some way to make quick cash.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 06:32

Vortexz wrote:I only have 16k credits right now so i have to find some way to make quick cash.
Gotcha. That is a bit of an awkward position to be in. Your ship is slow for taxi missions, and not capable of fight or build missions.

You could sell it to get some working capital and a Kestrel with Cargo Life Support and jump drive. Then taxi missions and small courier missions will be easy (even without the jump drive).

If you use scripts, then Detector can help you to find Nividium clusters to mine.

Or, you can just suck it up and spend a few hours mining Silicon. You will earn a "living" that way... it's just not quick in a single TS.

You may have read tips on the forum suggesting that mining is a great way to earn profitsss early in the game. It is true... but just slightly later in the game than your current position. :)

If you had a fighter that could capture a couple of TS's that you could then send off to mine OOS, then mining would be easy money.

It is hard to beat a Kestrel early in the game (if you can find one). They are dirt cheap and they rock for small taxi and courier missions. They can also be armed strongly enough to capture TS's. Later in the game they make terrific scouts.

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 06:39

This idea may sound ludicrous, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
Fly close to a Trading Station and stop. Eject from your ship and fly to the station in your spacesuit. Send your Mistral off to do the mining. Upgrade your suit with SETA (it's only 252cr) then undock from the station and fly a very short distance away, making sure you are not in the way of any traffic. Turn SETA on to speed up your Mistral's activity. Your spacesuit has enough oxygen for 2hrs. So under maximum SETA, this will be a total of 12mins. real time. So before the time is up, re-dock at the station. Rinse and repeat until your Mistral has a full cargo and he can sell his wares, then hopefully you will have earned enough to buy yourself another ship.
I did say it was ludicrous, but it just might work. :)
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 08:56

The last suggestion is feasible but to sell the Niv in bulk he has to be able to tansfer it to another ts at the ship yard or lose the ship catch 22 I think
When traveling pause occasionally, look back and enjoy the moment again.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 09:22

Look for 2nd hand ships for sale .buy below 80% ,repair and sell.

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Fri, 24. Aug 12, 00:38

shaun bergin wrote:The last suggestion is feasible but to sell the Niv in bulk he has to be able to tansfer it to another ts at the ship yard or lose the ship catch 22 I think
Consider how much a freighter full of Niv sells for even at "distress sale" pricing, losing a few hundred grand on the value of ship shouldn't be a concern, since you'll have a lot more to spend on the replacement(s) after the sale.

After all there's nothing stopping you docking your Spacesuit at the SY so you're present to sell the TS after the autopillock dock it (though I strongly recommend saving between when the Spacesuit docks & the Autopillock command is given, so you can reload after the latter crashes).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”