Ion Disruptor vs M7M

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

praypold
x4

Ion Disruptor vs M7M

Post by praypold » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 20:20

My question is since ID's are effective in knocking out installed weapons, does it also do the same against M7M's? I know that when one uses the M7M, the particular missile you desire to use is loaded into the missile tubes. Since the tubes are considered a turret it should be able to be knocked out with ID's. Gauss weapons / EBC's / Mass Drivers are all ammo based weapon systems in much the same way Missile use "ammo". The weapon ammo and unused but turreted missiles, are each held in the cargo hold.
I have searched but found no definitive answer as to whether this would work. Seems like it should, but I have yet to try it and wanted to see if others have done this.

Since the RRF pulled it's head out of it's buttocks if I happen to find a JB aboard an M7M I would attempt to steal it. My worry is those same RRF ships that pulled their heads out did so with a heavy trigger finger!
- "Charismatic leaders, a populous with fear of the unknown leads to the first casuality of war - The Truth."

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 20:57

No. You do not really disable the weapon bays themselves, but the weapon items which not only are installed, but are in the cargo hold. So you can destroy missiles once a while, but you will not disarm it quickly enough to avoid a barrage in your face.

Your best bet would be shooting down incoming missiles, either with mosquito missile defence and all turrets in missile defence, or... well, jumping from one gate to another continuously to prevent the missiles from catching you.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 22:05

Thing is, Dantrithor, if he's up close and personal roasting the M7M with IonDs then any barrage is likely to get destroyed by the IDs before they get very far, so I can kind of see how this might work. Of course, blowing up a barrage that close to the ship that launched it isn't likely to work out so well for them, so I'm not sure this is a viable boarding technique!

GoldenShadowGS
x3tc

Post by GoldenShadowGS » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 22:45

When I captured my Kraken M7M, I just angered it and flew away while it wasted all of its hammers and flails on me. If you have good shielding, flails won't hurt you too bad, but make sure to shoot down those hammers.

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Fri, 24. Aug 12, 04:14

ID's pop missiles? I was under the impression that they don't affect missiles since missiles only have hull values.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Fri, 24. Aug 12, 05:45

They work great at popping missiles in TC. I haven't actually tried them vs missiles in AP for the reason you just cited.

Modan
x4

Post by Modan » Fri, 24. Aug 12, 05:45

They do a small amount of hull damage, enough to pop anything that isn't a heavy missile instantly I believe.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”