CLS2 issues, carrier command issues. [TC]

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nyito
x4

CLS2 issues, carrier command issues. [TC]

Post by Nyito » Thu, 30. Aug 12, 05:42

Well CLS software seems to be giving me all sorts of trouble lately. Having built a huge megaplex to produce weapons and missiles for my blossoming fleet, and I set up a pair of equipment docks to supply and outfit ships. One for missiles, ammunition, fighter drones, and other consumable munitions, and one for shields and guns. I also assigned a freighter to each dock(with a docked TL acting as a warehouse) to keep the dock supplied, but I can't get them to work properly.

I have them set to load up goods, fly to the TL, and unload, and then the TL loads the dock, via a CLS2 software setup as well. It seemed to work, until the TSes went back for a second trip, filled up their cargo bay with the same goods they just filled the TL up to the programmed limit, and sat there at the plex. A switch to CLS1 also proved unfruitful, as they did the same thing, even after using a ship to pull all the goods out of their cargo bay, and restart the routine. A third CLS2 try worked, allowing them to carry only 1 of each of their assigned goods, but taking 300 trips to refill a dock after outfitting a carrier wing is far too inefficient.

Having read the entire thread of the TL storage automation to get this CLS2 idea from the get-go, as well as a few other CLS related guides, I'm stumped. At the risk of this thread turning into too large a wall of text, I'll say the plex produces essentially every commonwealth weapon, and most every commonwealth non-dumbfire missile, so the amount of goods a TS is responsible for is far in excess of it's cargobay capacity.

Onto the second issue: Commanding carrier fighter wings.

In short, I think I must be missing something, as this seems incredibly clunky. Fighter wings respond sluggishly, attack commands are often ignored, and I'm just not getting the point of them, which is disheartening.

In long, the 'attack all' command seems to only apply to things within around 5km. Correct, incorrect? How can I get them to just sweep an entire sector clean, at least against things within sensor range? Stations aren't valid attack command targets? I have this issue with turrets as well, on my Boreas.

Launching fighters is also a huge pain. I'm currently using a Raptor, with 5 wings of 13 Nova Raiders, and the 'launch fighters' doesn't work when I jump into a sector, and am immediately set upon by a Xenon Q, as it stops the ship and takes it's sweet time launching fighters one by one, and moving to turn of autopilot cancels the launch. Ordering wings to launch is more effective, but difficult to do when trying to strafe away from IBL fire. Should I just assign all the fighters to one wing? Or am I just an idiot and not understanding some commands?

As this post has dragged on probably far too long already, I'll leave my questions at that. Happy to provide more information as required, as I'm sure I've left off some important detail somewhere necessary to solving this.

Crezeh
x3ap

Post by Crezeh » Thu, 30. Aug 12, 05:54

I usually set them to load upto, and then arrange the amounts so the total doesn't exceed the freighters cargo capacity.
The CLS2 doesn't understand to drop off resources so it can pick up a different resource, so you'll need to restrict how much of each resource it can pick up.

If your CLS can't handle the amount of resources you want it to carry, what can I say? You'll need a second freighter. CLS can't compansate for lack of cargo space.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Thu, 30. Aug 12, 06:35

I have the same problem with carriers. They are such a pain to personally fly. Assuming you are clearing a Xenon sector, you could get in a destroyer and clear the entry point. Then jump the carrier in and use the wings from the destroyer.

an example is to set a defense wing for the carrier, protect ship command. Then set a wing or two to attack my target, one to attack target closest to you one to protect your ship.

It seems a waste of a good carrier to do this, but I have found that the M1 class works extremely well in a support role instead of leading the charge.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 30. Aug 12, 13:44

You need more CLS2 ships. Since what you're loading is far in excess of their capacity, they're only loading the first few groups of goods then running out of space. CLS uses A>B>C load order.

Don't bother with launching fighters manually. They will automatically launch when the carrier is attacked.

Or go modified.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

whiteraider
x3tc

Post by whiteraider » Thu, 30. Aug 12, 14:52

I currently use 3 CLS2 TS to load 20+ TL with weapons and missiles by loading upto 1hrs production onto the CLS2 then unloading to the right TL

so the CLS2 waypoints read like

Warfab1
refuel
load upto x weapon1
load upto y weapon2
load upto z weapon3

TL Weapon1
unload maxcargo weapon1

TL Weapon2
unload maxcargo weapon2

TL Weapon3
unload maxcargo weapon3

Warfab1
refuel
load upto x1 weapon4
load upto y1 weapon5
load upto z1 weapon6
etc...

And this requires pre-trained CLS pilots, to use a jumpdrive, transporter device and silly numbers of waypoints, and you to check that no load is greater than TS can carry & that there is enough space to unload, buying and transfering to additional TL when required (or selling excess)

The EQ could then use 1 another TS loading 1 of each item and unloading it if you park the TLs within 5km
Bring back the TS Pirate Ship, I miss my liberated fleet runing around the universe :twisted:
Maybe a fleet of liberated Pirate Ship Super Freighters :roll:

"Priests Dukes Compliments... Here is ship!"
"Teladi now show you how to fight... Ship all yours! Dont kill Teladi!"

Nyito
x4

Post by Nyito » Thu, 30. Aug 12, 17:27

Well, this has been helpful and enlightening. I have to say that carriers don't really work as a 'power projection' platform, but rather more of providing a defensive screen is kind of disappointing. I was expecting them to work like, well, real life aircraft carriers. Their primary role being to project power over an entire sector. If their power is more or less limited to where the slow capital ships can be, feel like I might as well just stick to my Boreas. Already took it through a rampage of every Xenon sector in the game solo, so I know it can handle anything thrown at it.

For the CLS issues, whiteraider's idea intrigues me. I'd happily crunch numbers if all I need to do is assign multi-step waypoints, as opposed to just two huge blocks of waypoints, one load, one unload. Would this routine snag if I just used 1 TL, holding particular numbers of weapons, and say, the 3rd set of gear to be transferred ran out, but the 1st and 2nd was still full? Or would this only work until they're full, and I'll need to do some manual transfers/set up multiple CLS ships to refill?

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Thu, 30. Aug 12, 18:31

You can do that with a carrier though. But you would need some scouts. you could make the scout fly around and target from the sector map and give wing commands like that.

whiteraider
x3tc

Post by whiteraider » Thu, 30. Aug 12, 18:31

It will fall over eventually, after it fails to unload several types of the weapons, but you could add more TL & CLS2 pilots to unload the first ones etc...

I've had this running long enough that the 2GJ shield fabs and Gauss Canon Ammo fabs have stopped running & even with most TLs full it just needs the TL to be offloaded for the CLS2 start up again.

You cant limit the number of an item in the TL, if there is space the CLS2 TS will unload but offloading all small items to 1 & larger items to its own TL works
Bring back the TS Pirate Ship, I miss my liberated fleet runing around the universe :twisted:
Maybe a fleet of liberated Pirate Ship Super Freighters :roll:

"Priests Dukes Compliments... Here is ship!"
"Teladi now show you how to fight... Ship all yours! Dont kill Teladi!"

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 30. Aug 12, 19:09

You can limit the number, using unload>Manual Input up to.

---

If you really want to project power with a carrier, modified is the way to go. CODEA has attack fighters, interceptors as a defensive screen, cargo salvage and recon ships in a lattice work to vastly expand the sensor range.

I haven't tried it much myself at least in TC, but Anarkis Defense System is also supposed to be good. It'll also work on stations.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Nyito
x4

Post by Nyito » Fri, 31. Aug 12, 00:19

Well I'm already modified, given I had to use the complex cleaner mod just to have my megaplex not lock up my computer when I jumped into the sector, so I'll look into those. Far as the CLS2 thing goes, if it'll fall over eventually, I'll just look into assigning multiple freighters, or maybe swapping to a Mistral SF, which will hopefully have enough space to carry enough of the final TL's load that it won't take but 3-5 trips to refill a TL of a given item.

Thanks for the help all!

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Fri, 31. Aug 12, 04:20

Nyito wrote:Well I'm already modified, given I had to use the complex cleaner mod just to have my megaplex not lock up my computer when I jumped into the sector, so I'll look into those.
Probably too late now, but next time try the vanilla-safe tubeless complex mod first.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”