Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 15:23

Morkonan wrote:
Mightysword wrote:...Oh, and I'm pretty sure your toaster can run them too. :D
It is not a toaster!

It's... an old warrior, suffering from old wounds, hard-won in glorious victories! It has deserved its rest, but there may yet be one final battle to come...

Old Warrior
OOPS, look like someone needs a bigger hard drive.

Server Error in '/Img' Application.
There is not enough space on the disk.
:D
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 18:28

muppetts wrote:Might be worth a seperate thread for this chat!

Shadowrun Returns is free on the Humble store
Thanks a lot. I've got it just in time. :)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 24. Jun 18, 07:55

felter wrote:...OOPS, look like someone needs a bigger hard drive.

Server Error in '/Img' Application.
There is not enough space on the disk.
:D
WTF dude? ROFL! No way! It's 451k or so jpg of an old warrior saying "Careful, boy, I'm old for a good reaon." That's harking back to the old adage "Be wary of old men in professions where most die young" or some such.

Trying to access via iphone? Nokia? Ti-35? Unless you're on an 8088, Ram should be plenty large enough to hold that, unless you've got a ramdisk of some kind set up. It's also straightlinked to memgenerator jpg image, so there shouldn't be anything running to cause any issues. (Img overflow if your screen isn't big enough,maybe?)

PS - Rimworld will no longer be appearing on my "Queue" list... PURCHASED (No, it's not on sale, but the release version should be soon and I got tired of seeing all these things on sale that I didn't want, anyway. So...

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 24. Jun 18, 08:05

Hey I'm on an LG smartphone and it showed up fine. Sort of remined me of the Jeff Bridges character in The Seventh Son. I can relate to old. 62 next month.

:lol:
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 24. Jun 18, 08:20

Hank001 wrote:Hey I'm on an LG smartphone and it showed up fine. Sort of remined me of the Jeff Bridges character in The Seventh Son. I can relate to old. 62 next month.

:lol:
I'm a little ways behind you, so keep me informed if I should bring a coat or an extra pair of socks for when I get there.... :) ( >50,<60 )

OT: So, here's a list of free games on Steam. "Free" as in purposefully offered as "Free."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nine-best-free ... ames-steam

I've played POE, Rift, know about EVE, of course, STO and a few others, but does anyone have a "normally free game" recommendation that they just can't keep from recommending because it's so awesome/good and truly not a pay2win or cashgrab?

Also - Resources to hunt for the real Steam Summer Sale deals. Lookup the game(s) you're interested in and see if the current price is really a good deal or if you're better off waiting. (Good sale prices typically lag a few weeks after the SSS for games that were listed then, IMO.)

https://steamspy.com/

https://steamdb.info/sales/

Right now, to me, Homeworld Remastered and AoEII HD are looking like pretty decent discounts for really good titles.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 26. Jun 18, 15:26

I just picked up GTA V . . . it took a full 3 years after release for it to be offered at a price I was willing to pay for it. Not quite under a tenner but near enough.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2715 ... ft_Auto_V/

Glad I held off mind, there's not that much new in it is there? It even recycles a setting.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 26. Jun 18, 15:39

Just watched a vid of a GTA mod where they are flying ON (not in) jets and taking potshots at eachother. :lol:
MIND THE GAP

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 26. Jun 18, 18:04

Bishop149 wrote:I just picked up GTA V . . . it took a full 3 years after release for it to be offered at a price I was willing to pay for it. Not quite under a tenner but near enough.
I wouldn't have bothered if I were you. Bought it myself a while ago but never finished it--just couldn't stomach playing as the absolute a-holes the game requires you to play as. I mean, at least CJ and Niko Bellic had *some* redeeming features, which is more than can be said for Michael and Trevor, and Franklin appears to have fallen in from Fallout 4 and is only capable of saying "Yes" to anything anyone asks of him--but he can do it in a really sarcastic way, which makes all the difference, right?

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 26. Jun 18, 19:04

pjknibbs wrote:I wouldn't have bothered if I were you. Bought it myself a while ago but never finished it--just couldn't stomach playing as the absolute a-holes the game requires you to play as. I mean, at least CJ and Niko Bellic had *some* redeeming features, which is more than can be said for Michael and Trevor, and Franklin appears to have fallen in from Fallout 4 and is only capable of saying "Yes" to anything anyone asks of him--but he can do it in a really sarcastic way, which makes all the difference, right?
Hmmmm I agree as to the content of the protagonist's characters but I'm actually kinda impressed with how the writing has managed made me warm somewhat to characters with such a clear lack of any merit. Especially Trevor . . . . . although I admit the bit where you have to act out him torturing a guy was definitely a step too far and made me rather uncomfortable.

As an endgame I suspect it's going to make me choose which one (Trevor or Michael) dies at the hands of the other. If its true to the writing thus far the "meh" character that is Franklin will probably be forced to pick a side too.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Thu, 28. Jun 18, 19:47

Morkonan wrote:PS - Rimworld will no longer be appearing on my "Queue" list... PURCHASED (No, it's not on sale, but the release version should be soon and I got tired of seeing all these things on sale that I didn't want, anyway. So...
Yeah you'd have had to wait till at least next summer before it went on sale. The next big update is 1.0
Bishop149 wrote:I just picked up GTA V . . . it took a full 3 years after release for it to be offered at a price I was willing to pay for it. Not quite under a tenner but near enough.
Glad I held off mind, there's not that much new in it is there? It even recycles a setting.
I've held off on GTA V because of the absolute mess around the online bit.

I'm still umming and arring over what I want to pick up.
most of the games that really interest me,
have ether just came out, like Cultist Simulator
aren't out yet, like Two Point Hospital or Graveyard Keeper.
or I'd have to build a new computer to play smoothly, like Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 28. Jun 18, 21:18

OmegaKnight wrote:
Morkonan wrote:PS - Rimworld will no longer be appearing on my "Queue" list... PURCHASED (No, it's not on sale, but the release version should be soon and I got tired of seeing all these things on sale that I didn't want, anyway. So...
Yeah you'd have had to wait till at least next summer before it went on sale. The next big update is 1.0...
I've never seen it on sale. (AFAIK, it has never gone on "sale.")

Anyway, it's moot - I bought it. :) Sent out a caravan last night... Estimated 4 days of travel, round-trip. Gave them seven days of food, just in case. They are now starving on their ninth day of travel.... :/ I am not amused, since the caravan has two of my most skilled people in it.

So, has anyone run across a "MUST BUY NOW" Summer Sale price that they just couldn't ignore?

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Thu, 28. Jun 18, 23:53

Morkonan wrote:Sent out a caravan last night... Estimated 4 days of travel, round-trip. Gave them seven days of food, just in case. They are now starving on their ninth day of travel.... :/ I am not amused, since the caravan has two of my most skilled people in it.
Just set up camp, assuming one of them can hunt and cook,
they can just shoot a few animals, gather some berries and cook a few simple meals.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 00:22

@ Morkonan

Haven't played Rimworld. Sounds like Donner Party Time.
:fg:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 03:15

Hank001 wrote:@ Morkonan

Haven't played Rimworld. Sounds like Donner Party Time.
:fg:
Absolutely!

So, a neighboring village wanted to improve our relations and asked that I send some representatives to talk with them. I sent my best "Social" speaker and a tough old ex-military sniper who was an excellent shot.

Planning out the "caravan," the planner said travel-time to the meeting point was a little over two days. OK, no problem, I give them enough food for seven/eight days, for both, and send them on their way.

Neighboring village is not impressed... Talks break down, relations not improved, my caravan heads back.

Except. Now it says they'll be an extra four days on the return journey and they're out of food...

OK, maybe they can make it? Answer = No. I savescum my way through a number of attempts and then send out a relief party loaded with food.

A "Cold Snap" hits and its snowmaggedon. It's like "The Day After" except more realistic...

OK, my relief party is just a new acquire, another combat vet, and a dog to help him carry all the extra food. He's slogging though the snow, trying to meet up with the starving party.

But, then a rampaging group of rabid monkeys attack my starving travelers! They successfully defend themselves against the lone little monkey, who thought so highly of itself to call itself a "group." Of course, as soon they kill it, I tell them to eat it, since they're almost dead from starvation.

Lucky for me that monkey attacked! The area where it occurred had some berry bushes in it, so I quickly got some harvested to stave off the hunger. But... temperatures plummeted, so I had them cut some wood and make a big fire. They slept nearby the fire, so they had a little warmth.

Finally, the relief party shows up and everyone has food to eat!

Except, when they leave? Yeah, their food, which was survival rations that should have easily lasted the whole journey, spoiled. Now, all three were slogging their way through the snow, starving, weakened, and with a few old monkey bites giving them some trouble. (Should pack some medkits, next time.)

I'm still learning and I couldn't get a scenario that let me save them all, so I save-scummed my way through it like Captain Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru! ;)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, another rabid monkey decided to attack and caused some damage, a pirate we had captured got free and fled, completely naked, out into the freezing temps, and, evidently, the two love-birds I left at home got into a big argument and broke up. Probably because one of them didn't take the trash out... Literally - He was too busy doing research and the place got dirty, likely got her in a bad mood, and she ended up dumping him.

But, the guy who went on the rescue mission and saved the lives of the two stranded, starving, diplomats? He ended up with a new girlfriend. I guess she dumped the "egghead who's too oblivious to pick up after himself" for the "macho man with a dog that risks his life to save others." :)

If you like "simulation" and "building" games that have "research" in them with loads of customization and replay potential, as well as any sort of mod you could think of, then Rimworld really can't be beat. The only one that's near this scale of simulation with as polished of gameplay might be Dwarf Fortress. (Not counting the city-sized-sims, which are larger in scale, but not necessarily in depth, depending.)

(No other games like this have this degree of quality/polish or depth. "Craft the World", has some of it. "Dwarves" is basically dead. "Gnomoria" is hella-buggy due to one big bug nobody can touch/fix (Mem/leak-corruption that basically breaks the game if you encounter it). "Bannished," unmodded, is too shallow.)

It's worth a shot. It'll hit Ver. 1. on the next official version release. (That release is opt-in Beta, now.)

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 04:37

Guess you'll be researching Packaged Survival Meals or Pemmican, for those long term food needs.

-

Another game that is in early access, but quite far along in development,
is Oxygen Not Included.

It's by Klei Entertainment the people that made Don’t Starve (another fun game).

It's a 2D side-on, space-colony simulation game set inside an asteroid.

I'm probably going to pick this up,
it's 20% off in the steam sale, but if you own another Klei game you seem to get another 20% off,
as it shows up as 40% off for me, making it £11.39.
Close enough to a tenner I'm not going to argue, especially when the dev is rewarding returning custom.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 05:47

Ever played Frostpunk? This conversation stated to sound too familiar and then I reemembered Frostpunk.
MIND THE GAP

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 06:31

Better to split the last page and a half off to another thread, we need to keep this one just for the title and an ongoing conversation makes it difficult to see if anyone has posted about free/cheap games etc.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 07:44

Kenshi is 20% off, so just a tenner (ish) ... while it is not cheap cheap or free it is a bargain, live or die..the game continues on without your character... worth a look for a cheap great open world experience.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 18. Jul 18, 00:28

This isn't out yet, but it's worth watching. It's going to be free:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/709240/Ingnomia/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ingnomia/

"Ingnomia" will be a free fan-made Gnomoria clone. For those unaware, Gnomoria is a sort of Dwarf Fortress Attempt game that was somewhat hastily released with several destructive bugs that makes gameplay often difficult. It's still a great game, but has long needed one of those "The very last bugcleaning patch evar" sort of patches. The dev up-and-left due to real-life issues and job goals, etc, so the game is basically orphaned. (No devs to fix/steward anything to do with it.)

BUT.. if it makes it, Ingnomia will be the free game that takes the Gnomoria flag and runs with it to completion. Hopefully... We'll see. Last I read, the first beta release should be in a month or so.

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Wed, 18. Jul 18, 02:06

Worth noting that Ingnomia isn't a rip-off, AIUI it was authorised by the creator of Gnomoria, though the length of the development process suggests he didn't provide the code (& last I heard Ingnomia is also not going to be Open Source nor was the developer interested in the people asking if they could help with the project, so it's another single-dev job [except that I believe re-use of Gnomoria sprites was part of the permission given]).

Return to “Off Topic English”