TC - PSG (phased Shockwave Generator)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Snafu_X3
x3tc

TC - PSG (phased Shockwave Generator)

Post by Snafu_X3 » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 05:16

What is it useful for other than attacking areas that are completely hostile to <player>?

Use it as missile/fighter defence it's good, but uses more power & is likely to turn any nearby friendly/neutral hostile

So does anyone have any /practical/ uses for this weapon before I consign it to the 'nice idea - stupid to use' bin?
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 06:18

It's proven quite lethal against capital ships, due largely to how splash damage works in this game. The PBG and PSG are treated as having multiple hitboxes (as opposed to a standard laser, which only has one), and a ship will take extra damage depending on how many of the shot's hitboxes overlap with its own. Which means big warships take absurd amounts of damage from PSGs, and for that reason they nerfed it from Reunion to capital ship-only in TC.

Downside is, the PSG in particular is very prone to friendly fire.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 10:41

I find it very useful to use for missile defence in xenon sectors and to quickly clear khaak swarms. If you're just playing in friendly space don't bother with it.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Tue, 4. Sep 12, 15:39

Cheers SS
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”