Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 20. May 17, 06:59

Corbet wrote:
Dupin wrote:Best AtV ever!
How have you liked AtVs recently?

AtV yesterday was pretty breathtaking again; lighting / fog, new Aurora, Reclaimer, etc.

Are you evocati?
When did "bed head" become a hair style? :)

Edit - <sp>

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Wed, 24. May 17, 08:19

Geez 150 Million, well given the sudden bout of bad press around the 100 mill mark it does not seem to have had much effect on the numbers signing up or pumping in more funds.

1.8 million signed up to web site, even if not actually paid in still a good number for a game that is still looking at 18 months until a decent sized beta.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 24. May 17, 10:07

Morkonan wrote: When did "bed head" become a hair style? :)
I once saw a female Undead in WoW with the name "Bed Hair"--the hairstyles for female undead in that game were certainly, well, *interesting*. :wink:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 24. May 17, 13:05

pjknibbs wrote:
Morkonan wrote: When did "bed head" become a hair style? :)
I once saw a female Undead in WoW with the name "Bed Hair"--the hairstyles for female undead in that game were certainly, well, *interesting*. :wink:
I saw a "Marge", a Forsaken with the beehive hairdo. :) ("The Simpsons" ref.)

Loved that game, but the grind... I some ways, it was worse than E.Q. Probably has changed quite a bit since I logged off, perched on my dragon on some mountain, somewhere. (I think it would prob rebind me to Org, since the zone has long been reset, I'd imagine.)

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 25. May 17, 19:02

I keep forgetting about this.

Wonder which will be first, Star Citizen or Mount and Blade 2! :D

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Thu, 25. May 17, 22:08

Bannerlord! Forgotten all about that.

Corbet

Post by Corbet » Sat, 27. May 17, 15:57

Chips wrote:I keep forgetting about this.
Now is a good time to follow the project a bit more closely again since they are preparing for Alpha 3.0 release. They showed some good progress on many areas in AtV yesterday.

Have you bought a starter package yet?
Chips wrote:Wonder which will be first, Star Citizen or Mount and Blade 2! :D
Well, I would say definitely Mount and Blade 2 :). To me it doesn't matter as long as the games will be excellent.

Kotaku: Why Video Games Are Delayed So Often

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 28. May 17, 00:43

I've got my golden ticket - not that i can remember what that means anymore. I'd forgotten how LONG this has been going on (check thread creation date!) - but I've since steered clear as I want to get the eventual (hopeful) "wow" from playing it the first time. Just like I did when playing Freelancer the first time :D So am still going to wait until release rather than dipping my toes in at Alpha/Beta times.

It's not the longest i've waited for the game. I used to avidly follow "Infinity - Quest for Earth" and that's not appeared yet either :D

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sun, 28. May 17, 10:48

Been 4 years now of actual development, I figured 5 when I jumped in back in 2012 but right now I would be pleasantly surprised if they had a beta up and running in 18 months.

I think part of the challenge is populating the universe with use of the new tech they are making, I mean you need at least (*guess) 5000 systems at launch, you have 1 million people, they are going to tear through content like crazy and you want more than just thousands of cookie cutter systems, just for the sake of having them.

Allot of work ahead of them but still some pretty exciting stuff if you can wait.

I miss Wingmans Hanger, it was my Friday show!

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 28. May 17, 12:34

I'd honestly say he suffers from the "lets do this, lets do this". The ideas bin keeps expanding without end date - a sign of poor project management :D

I don't remember an FPS element being anything to do with the game originally envisaged. The fact huge amounts of time seems to have been spent on it is disappointing...but I'm getting old and my memory is definitely not good anymore.

Part of not keeping up to date with it is that I've got a slightly skewed sense of what it's about now. The only bits I have heard about are the FPS elements, nothing else. Maybe that's why it is so easy to be patient, I'm not salivating over every detail as I'm just not reading about them (and the ones I did, don't interest me) :D

I've heard it'll be hella demanding, so i'm putting off any update to hardware for as long as I can - basically so I don't have to update again post release :P But nearing 5 years? Guessing it'll be another 2 or more at least by release. I may not be gaming by then...

I'm certainly not spending any money beyond my initial pledge. Just waiting, and hoping, that this will be what I hoped it'd be.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sun, 28. May 17, 14:46

I think the FPS (which i don't remember at start either) was a big mistake, should have produced a polished space game and then moved appropriate team members to start a FPS crew after release.

He keeps saying it was all part of the plan but I think you would be very generous at this stage to not acknowledge feature creep has been a huge problem.

However I am still willing to remain hopeful as nothing like this has ever been done (as in the open development) and this is new territory for everyone.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 28. May 17, 15:13

Actually, looking at several of the recent vids/updates briefly, am I wrong in thinking that the first person character interaction with environment is very much at the forefront? It seems all station interiors, moving around, lighting, ambience etc.

Where's the bits about flying, trading, economy, the universe/planets, systems, dog fighting, you know - the bits with ships and space!

Anyone who has kept up to date (rather than searching endlessly) - are those also part of updates in the last 3 years? Or assumed background work?

Corbet

Post by Corbet » Sun, 28. May 17, 17:53

Chips wrote:Actually, looking at several of the recent vids/updates briefly, am I wrong in thinking that the first person character interaction with environment is very much at the forefront? It seems all station interiors, moving around, lighting, ambience etc.
I think you are totally right. First person gameplay is very core of Star Citizen (First Person Universe - FPU) and FPS is naturally huge part of it as well. I personally love the idea being able to play the game without even owning a ship.

If they are able to publish Alpha 3.0 as they have showed so far I think it is easily most impressive game I have ever seen or played. Later patches will bring even more depth to the mechanisms and gameplay.
Chips wrote:Where's the bits about flying, trading, economy, the universe/planets, systems, dog fighting, you know - the bits with ships and space!
Trading, planets, etc. are going to be in Alpha 3.0. Dog Fighting was one of the first (if not first) gameplay aspect they added. It is still evolving thanks to new Item 2.0 system, piping, etc.

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Sun, 28. May 17, 18:12

Corbet, when the game was first announced and we got our gold tickets.
They were marketing the game/development as a 3 package deal: Sq 42-the PU and a single player/group server (like Freelancer).

I have heard no word on the single player PU/ private server...is that off the table now?

Corbet

Post by Corbet » Sun, 28. May 17, 18:49

thrangar wrote:Corbet, when the game was first announced and we got our gold tickets.
I wasn't early enough to get that ticket. I guess you are able to hang it on the wall in your hangar.

Which ship do you own? Do you have any plans yet how you are going to play Star Citizen?
thrangar wrote:I have heard no word on the single player PU/ private server...is that off the table now?
I have not heard much about private servers either. It is not a huge surprise since they have still hands full of work with SQ42 and PU. We most likely have to still wait for private servers for a while ...

Mountain_Puncher
x3tc

Post by Mountain_Puncher » Tue, 30. May 17, 16:17

Oh, I forgot about this game. Actually this forum is were I initially heard about SC. I was an early backer for just $35. I got the silly little plastic star citizen card too. Nov 2014 can't get here soon enough!

Corbet

Post by Corbet » Tue, 30. May 17, 18:16

Mountain_Puncher wrote:Nov 2014 can't get here soon enough!
Just for interest ... would you have liked to have Star Citizen as it was planned to be released in Nov 2014 or the one they are working on now (+Squadron 42)?

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 30. May 17, 18:56

Actually they promised Sq42 as well, they never handled the feature creep well, they said it was all planned and then said they would deliver 100% in 3 years, which is of course allot of hot air.

Allot of the grief they get is people who just hate on it but plenty is well deserved for empty promises and more and more features with nothing complete.

They should have delivered what they said they would or made a new set of goals and let the community know that they had changed it all, rather than just hoping no one would notice.

And as it is they are still a long way off a game they can publish, so there is no comparison between then and now, as now is still not complete and a one system demo does not count.

I get defending the game but there has to be balance.

Corbet

Post by Corbet » Tue, 30. May 17, 19:18

muppetts wrote:Actually they promised Sq42 as well, they never handled the feature creep well, they said it was all planned and then said they would deliver 100% in 3 years, which is of course allot of hot air.
I just wanted to emphasis that Squadron 42 and Star Citizen are two different projects (I'm not interested about SQ42). Most of the time people talks about Star Citizen but sometimes it feels like they means SQ42.
Star Citizen started to grow rapidly since the initial plans. It is definitely understandable that some people are disappointed and they would have liked to have much more simpler game sooner, but I personally think what CIG is working on now was definitely the right choice in the long run. If they would have released a basic space game and started to add features later I don't think they have got as much attention at all. They choosed a long and hard way but I believe it starts to pay back on Alpha 3.0 release. Hopefully those who wanted Wing Commander style of game will be eventually pleased as well.

There are justified criticism around the project (which comes mostly from the community) and lots of baseless bashing coming from certain group of people and websites.

No matter what happens in the end the project is incredible interesting to follow. They pushes lots of updates about the progress and it is always interesting to get hands on the latest patches. Unfortunately I have not tested enough to gain Evocati status yet.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 31. May 17, 03:07

Corbet wrote:If they would have released a basic space game and started to add features later I don't think they have got as much attention at all.
So is the point to get attention to fulfill the obligations :D Or ... fulfill the statements made when it was launched.

Back when I signed up there was no "First person shooter" aspect mentioned. Just a Freelancer-esque character and interaction with environment - but other than that, this was a space sim through and through.

I want the space sim. Watching some pseudo team oriented shootout in a ship/station isn't of interest; I don't want Counter Strike in space.

I'll keep being patient, but you can probably tell why I don't follow it much. Of course he may completely nail everything and it's the game everyone wants it to be. But 5 years and counting... :D So I skip the alpha as i may get the impression what i want is left behind in preference of developing stuff i don't - and then i may never revisit the game.

Best to wait.

Return to “Off Topic English”